Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 12-20-2019

Default Puzzling light issue..

So came back from a weekend trip and the interior lights are not working.. those are the lights above the couches and the lights on the ceiling.. the celing light over the range works but ??? Now I checked the breakers and all have power.. I am plugged into 50 .. they dont work on the generator either? Is there a fuse that is out ? I dont have a wire diagram so I dont know where to look .. it was working fine at the RV site and before the trip.. it did act up once before and it fixed it self .. so could it possibly be one of those fuses that resets itself? Thanks for any leads.. like to get it fixed before the next trip .. it's kinda irritating when things dont work ..
1987 pt40 the Siam Express
1966 Impala ss Convertible
1983 BMW 533I
Old 12-20-2019

On my PT-40, a lot of the interior lights were 12v. I had one of the c/b's pop on the inverter, which caused a lot of the interior lights to fail. Real hard to get to the c/b's, on mine they were mounted on the back of the electrical panel behind the bed, had to reach in a little door on the side of the closet. Had to pretzel myself around, shine a flashlight in there to locate the c/b's, , then go in by feel; as soon as you stick your arm in there you can't see anything! Hope this helps...
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 12-20-2019

If the circuit breaker isn't the problem look for an amp connector with a burned pin and wire around it. On my 86 the problem connector was in the curb side overhead wire chase near the front. I'm not sure if your 87 will have it in the same place though.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 12-20-2019

Mike: I am not having any problems but I have been in that rear closet. Bad engineering. On my PT38 the 120 volt panel is in the right hand mirrored cabinet. Are you saying that in the next cabinet there is a small door inside that gives you some sort of access to 12 volt breakers? Thanks

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 12-20-2019

I don't know if the PT-38 is the same as the PT-40, but on mine, if you opened the curb-side doors, there was a closet. On the right wall of the closet was a small access hatch. The hatch gave (limited!) access to the back of the electrical panel & the hot water heater. For some un-knowable reason, the inverter, with (I think) 2 circuit breakers, was mounted on the back of the electrical panel, so the C/B's faced the rear of the bus. Very limited access, & they had to be reset by feel. But, re-reading your previous post, you said it happened previously, but fixed itself, which would not be the case with a tripped circuit breaker. One trouble-shooting step you could try; do the lights work with the engine running? If they do, with power coming directly from the alternator, you will know that the problem is somewhere in the inverter circuit. (I think this is correct, if not, someone will probably come along & set me straight!)
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 12-20-2019

Mike. My system is working great. I think there are some major differences. My unit has the Cruisair so may items are in different locations. I have 4 mirrored doors behind the bed. Curbside has the 120 panel and nothing else. Next is a deep cabinet hen another empty cabinet. Driver side had a cabinet with the water heater below. That whole wall is ridiculous. 8 million screws. Some installed from behind. If they were hex head instead of phillips removal of anything would be easy. I am going out to my shop to search for a secret door with those breakers.

Old 12-20-2019

I had another look at that closet. Like in a game show I will call the closets by number. behind the curbside, door #1, is a false wall with the 120 electrical panel. Behind door #2 is a deep cabinet. We use that for dirty laundry. Door #3 also has a false wall with a door that opens. It houses a duct and the filter for the Cruisair. Door # 4 has a false floor with a lid that opens. Under there is he infamous water heater. Cannot see much but it looks pristine. Must have been replaced at some time. The case is a light tan in color. The lid and false floor are removable. I do not think the water heater would go through the outside door. Being as we have twin beds removing the upholstered wall would be murder. Probably have to disassemble the bed frame. I don't know what is under the bed. There is a drawer and a deep cabinet under the bed frame as well as the panel for tank drain. Replacing that water heater would not be fun.

Old 12-20-2019

Thanks to all ! Going to tear into it in the AM ! Saturday with the bird ! Makes me happy
1987 pt40 the Siam Express
1966 Impala ss Convertible
1983 BMW 533I