Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 01-05-2020

Default Engine Shut off

What would make my 83 FC35 randomly quit? Other day when I was getting ready to go somewhere the engine just shut off like you turned the key off. It started right back up. Couldn't find anything wrong with it so I we went on. Coming back from Panama City Thursday I was sitting at a red light and it shut off again. This time it it didnt start back up at first. I called someone to start heading my way I knew we were in trouble if I couldn't get it back started. After about 1 minute or so I hit they key again and it started right up, like nothing was wrong. Drove all the way home never did it again.
Old 01-05-2020

Andrew
I had similar issues last year with my 8v92. Turned out to be the fuel shutoff solenoid. Replaced it......no more surprise shutdowns.
Old 01-05-2020

Verify there is 12v to the solenoid, BB wiring was know for low voltage to it. Generally a relay powered circuit is required, same with head lights.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 01-05-2020

Auto reset fuse
Old 01-05-2020

Some circuit is weak somewhere. Ignition, reset able breaker. Could even be a lose wire on the fuel shut off solenoid.

Marcelino Abalos
1979 FC35XV
Dania Beach, Florida
Old 01-06-2020

a voltage drop test (you tube has many video on voltage drop) to check the drop or voltage not making it to the fuel cutoff devise. put the appliance Under a load, not even necessarily running. Understand that lost voltage on it's way to the devise was used in the wires leading up to it as heat. If your line protection is self resetting fuse , understand that they are not a fuse but a cruel joke by design engineers. So intermitting issues happen. They get poped by heat then those metal discs cool and the cycle comtinues. when the circuit is closed and all clue to repair needed is erased. WWith a simple clamp around dc amp probe you can read volt and amp leaving a cool fuse multiply it, then read volt and amp close to the fuel cut off, multiply that. The difference is the amount of watts that was consumed as heat in your circuit . The reason it takes a while for resistance in a muffed wire to pop a fuse or self set disc is the wire starts to get hot and soon the heated wire causes more line resistance as the insulation is no longer able to dissipate the heat.

Amp probe alone is not a good way to prove muffed line. Because as the voltage to a demand is decrease the amps required to try to maintain watts requested increase. Demand remains consistent in a good appliance.
VOLTAGE DROP is a test during demand......

STANDING VOLTAGE is the test rv repair shops perform befor they start replacing parts......

Last edited by GregOC; 01-06-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2020

Low voltage, this is a cheap and easy fix
Cape Cod,ma
Old 01-06-2020

On early computer rigs voltage drop of demand appliances like a starter would rob avaliable power to the computer. Trying to start a ddac with a muffed start circuit had less to do with the speed of the spinning starter than it had to do with 9 volts getting to the computer. When on the road, combined battery banks add possible running voltage faults caused by stuff like the microwave.
Old 01-06-2020

Thus a rule,

'No Hot Pocket Heating while the electric jake brake is being used'
Old 01-06-2020

Default Engine Shut off

I had a similar problem with our FC. If you have a single wire fuel solenoid it depends on the mount to the pump for the DC ground. I had problem where the solenoid became loose on the mounting plate and the engine would cut out or start to miss. The newer solenoids have 2 wires a 12VDC and ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Solonoid (2).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	65761