Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 11-14-2011

Default Toad brake system...?

We're looking to get a new toad to replace the Jeep Cherokee that we had. It kept breaking down so we sold it earlier this year.

We used the M & G system on it and that worked pretty good, but Im looking for something that isnt tied to one car. Found a reference to this that I havent seen before.

http://www.readybrake.com/brake-systems.html

Anyone used it or have any feedback?

Thanks, Joe

BTW, if anyone need a M&G for a Jeep let me know, I'll sell it for the core charge...

'93 WB40, Alligator - FOR SALE!
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 11-14-2011
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Joe,, we went through the same thought process while finding a brake system.
I have a friend with the cable system, and it seems he is always having trouble with the cable part, stretching or braking.
Buddy brake type are a similar surge type, but having to install each trip and remove it to use the car was not what we wanted.
We wanted one that would be most effective, easy to use, and transfer to the next tow vehicle we get. We chose the SMI, Air force One.
http://smibrake.com/air-force-one.html

This met all our criteria and then some. It is truly a progressive braking system, no adjusting, fully automatic and it does not comprise the coach air brakes in any way.
Installation is $400, but it is easy to do and comes with a video.

We have several friends who have bought this system, and I have not hear a complaint.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 11-14-2011
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by konehd View Post
We're looking to get a new toad to replace the Jeep Cherokee that we had. It kept breaking down so we sold it earlier this year.

We used the M & G system on it and that worked pretty good, but Im looking for something that isnt tied to one car. Found a reference to this that I havent seen before.

http://www.readybrake.com/brake-systems.html

Anyone used it or have any feedback?

Thanks, Joe

BTW, if anyone need a M&G for a Jeep let me know, I'll sell it for the core charge...
I'll take the M&G,maybe it will fit my Liberty.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-14-2011

I also use the SMI system. It is a dedicated system to one vehicle though.

The three problems I see with the Ready Brake are 1) there is no vacuum provided to the power brakes making the braking system unresponsive, 2) steep downhills may cause the brakes to be over-driven due to the added force of gravity or in panic stops, and 3) the aforementioned issue with cable tension.

A question you need to answer is if you really want brakes or are doing it for show (to please the legal requirement). With my 50,000 lb bird, I really don't need the brakes on the Wrangler, but I need to be legal in all states. Despite this, I opted for a true performance braking system like the SMI.

What about the Brake Buddy system? It's portable and effective from what I hear. You can usually find good used ones on Craigslist too.

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 11-14-2011

I have the ready brake system. I have it adjusted loose so it really doesn't do more then light the brake lights. My car is extremely light and I really don't need it. I like the emergency break away system better then the rest of it.

I'd recommend it for staying legal. If you are towing a heavier toad I'd go another direction.

The system has to be adjust just right to work correctly and I found that to be extremely difficult if not impossible to get right. Have it loose it doesn't work. Have it just a little too tight and it will drag the brakes on the car.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-14-2011

I'm with John. I don't need my 4,000 lb toad trying to stop my 34,000 bird. We use a similar cable system adjusted so it almost works and is in place to cover us from the lawyers. Unless you have locked up the brakes and slid the tires, you haven't needed a toad brake anyway.

If you have a 12,000 lb class C and tow a 6,000 lb truck, you need a brake on the toad. With a Bird, you only need a toad brake to keep the lawyers off your back. Just my opinion.
Old 11-14-2011

I dunno, M&G is so sweet can't imagine a better working toad brake. Price is very competetive too. Had one of those Blue OX robo brake boxes, worked OK until it got out of a adjustment between the seat and pedal, cooked the brakes on the toad. Anything that works like a surge brake seems like a major step back. And you guys that say you ' don't really need toad brakes' might be fooling your selves. No RV has excess brake capacity.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 11-14-2011

Your right about that Mike. They don't stop on a dime. In my situation with an under 3000 lb car and a 36,000 bus I'll am taking the odds that it wouldn't make a SIGNIFICANT difference getting stopped. I admit that is based on an assumption.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-14-2011
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Something I learned in the search process that kind surprised me.
Any brake system that presses on the brake pedel, will have lots more force with the first few pushes because the vacuum chamber is loaded. Often sliding the tire the first time if you do not take the time to bleed the vacuum with a few pumps. The new brake buddy does this automatically. The old ones did not. The cable system would be the same.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 11-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
Something I learned in the search process that kind surprised me.
Any brake system that presses on the brake pedel, will have lots more force with the first few pushes because the vacuum chamber is loaded. Often sliding the tire the first time if you do not take the time to bleed the vacuum with a few pumps. The new brake buddy does this automatically. The old ones did not. The cable system would be the same.
Mallie,
It doesn't seem to me this would be the case with the cable system as the power brake booster is dormant when the toad is not running with this type of device. The bigger issue (if it's an issue at all) is whether the brakes can be effective at all with the booster not functioning.

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”