Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 06-17-2012

Default 93WB 8V92 Won't Crank

Fortunately I am sitting in a campsite with full hookups so I have some time to figure this out. I've been installing a set of side and rear backup cameras and when I went to move campsites this morning the 8V92 won't crank, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for troubleshooting.

Although I am not aware of disconnecting anything while I had the middle and left side dash (where the transmission keypad is located) partially removed (but not disconnected) when I ran the wiring for the new cameras, that is of course the most likely culprit--unless some other random part just happened to give up the ghost at this particular moment.

Here is what I have learned so far, and my first guess is that there may be some issue involving the DDEC/transmission interface:

1) When I turn the ignition on everything seems to cycle through normally--the stop and check engine light come on while the electronic modules perform their checks, and then they go out while the low air light/buzzer stays on. The gauges seem to move a little bit from their off position

2) The ignition switch seems to be functioning normally--it's just that nothing happens when I move it from "on" to "start". I did check the ignition switch and when the key is turned to start one of the wires that is normally dead gets 12V when the key is turned.

3) I don't think it is the rear toggle switch as it was replaced several weeks ago, and when I put it in the "rear" position only one of the two lights come on when I turn the key up front on, but they both come on during the startup test cycle when the engine compartment toggle switch is back in the "front" position.

4) I'm not able to try cranking it from the back since I removed the defective ignition switch in the engine compartment some time ago. I guess I could try taking the front ignition switch out and hooking it up back there but nothing in the rear of the coach was changed during the camera installation this weekend.

5) Although the transmission keypad LED comes on and I can select different gears with the key on and engine off, it won't spit out any error codes when I engage the "transmission test" switch, and I thought it would still do something even if there aren't any stored error codes.

6) I also powered down the entire coach--disconnecting the engine AND house batteries, as well as the external shore power hookup so that the coach was completely dead for several minutes. No change after doing that and restoring power.

Without further troubleshooting my guess is that there is some interlock that is keeping the starter from engaging. I can try jumpering the starter directly but even if it cranks that way I don't know what to do with that information.

So, my guess is that I disconnected something or shorted out a wire or popped a circuit breaker somewhere, although I have checked all the resettable breakers in the front access panel above the headlights. I have had a problem for some time with the Allison keypad having power on even when the ignition is off, but this has been the case for several months now and hasn't acted any differently for some time. I do have a spare transmission ECU I can hook up but before I do that I want to do some basic troubleshooting first.

Any suggestions on what circuits/fuses to check would be appreciated, and I would also like to know if the "check transmission" switch should give a readout when pressed--even when there are no stored error codes. I didn't check it before powering down the coach but nothing happens now when I press it and I thought it would still spit out a code for "no errors" but nothing happens--which makes me think it is some kind of transmission override that is preventing the engine from cranking.

So right now I am stumped as to what to check next, and I'm going to eat some dessert while I see if anyone reading this thread has suggestions on what to check next.
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 06-17-2012

Anti-Theft switch off?
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 06-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
Anti-Theft switch off?
OK I'm an idiot! I THOUGHT I had deactivated the AT solenoid (in the generator compartment) several weeks ago when I put both heavy cables on the same post of the solenoid and cut the wires that activate the solenoid, and this reduced my battery draw while dry camping by about 7 amps.

I had written a reply as to why this can't be the problem but decided to check and confirm, and lo and behold the darn thing started! So now this leads me to ask if that switch controls something besides the solenoid in the generator compartment, or did I somehow screw up even that simple task?
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 06-17-2012
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbonich View Post
OK I'm an idiot! I THOUGHT I had deactivated the AT solenoid (in the generator compartment) several weeks ago when I put both heavy cables on the same post of the solenoid and cut the wires that activate the solenoid, and this reduced my battery draw while dry camping by about 7 amps.

I had written a reply as to why this can't be the problem but decided to check and confirm, and lo and behold the darn thing started! So now this leads me to ask if that switch controls something besides the solenoid in the generator compartment, or did I somehow screw up even that simple task?
Hi Jim,

The A/T switch (on the dash) also supplies 12 volts to the Neutral Safety Relay.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Hi Jim,

The A/T switch (on the dash) also supplies 12 volts to the Neutral Safety Relay.
Thanks--sooner or later I'm going to get this bus figured out! I'm sorta glad to know that the AT switch can still provide some protection even with the battery-hogging solenoid disabled.
Saint Petersburg, FL