Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 10-08-2012

Default Antenna Cable Routing

I am about to install some additional antenna cable and wondered if there was a "standard" routing for these cables? Can a cable snake be used to pull new wire, or must the ceiling be removed to make that happen?

Any help and/or guidance would be most appreciated. I'd rather be driving to RATS.

"Glad to be here, I am, I am"
Warren Houtz
Elk, Washington (Infinity, and beyond!)
'97 WLWB 43'
Toad: '07 Ford Edge
Old 10-08-2012
Geek

Most routing on RVs (I'm speaking in general terms after seeing many dozens of satellite dish installs) are routed on top of the coach to a point directly over the intended spot, then through the roof at that point. I have a few of those myself.

Some people, unwilling to make a hole, route down the refrigerator trace and then through the coach at high or low levels from there. I've never seen anyone try to run through the ceiling.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 10-08-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Warren, it is eays over the lights, but the space inbetween, the bath area, is dang near impossible to get past. I managed to get on cable down mine, but really not worth it. There is a 3" PVC down each side that carries the ducted air. You can access the front and back end of both of these. I have not done it, but my next cable run will be done this way.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 10-08-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Most routing on RVs (I'm speaking in general terms after seeing many dozens of satellite dish installs) are routed on top of the coach to a point directly over the intended spot, then through the roof at that point. I have a few of those myself.

Some people, unwilling to make a hole, route down the refrigerator trace and then through the coach at high or low levels from there. I've never seen anyone try to run through the ceiling.
I think if you ever pull a panel, you will agree, it will not work like that.
I agree with Don, On top is a good way to go.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 10-08-2012

Don & Mallie -
Thanks for the insight. I was hoping to just use the route of the existing antenna leads, but the exterior route is much more direct, though it requires an additional hole in the roof. A clamshell and some 3M 4200 should take care of that part.

"Glad to be here, I am, I am"
Warren Houtz
Elk, Washington (Infinity, and beyond!)
'97 WLWB 43'
Toad: '07 Ford Edge
Old 10-08-2012

You can do most anything but having run lines from the front to back on two BB buses (and more then one in each) if it's remotely practical to accomplish this thru a hole drilled thru the roof I'd certainly go that way. With the compounds available today leaks seem to be a non issue.

You decidedly don't want to go under the roof panels. If you have to pass cables down the interior of the coach you can pass them behind the cabinets and even behind the refrig and the micro wave as needed but it is a time consuming effort. That's exactly how BB did it, they just didn't leave much room for more. A fish tape helps but some times you can't even get the fish tape to pushed thru requiring removal of what ever is in your way. I've spent hours doing it. Big cables are especially difficult. An HMDT cable is nearly impossible .

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-08-2012
Geek

I have a lot of cables coming through my roof (9 from satellite dishes alone) and the clamshell covers have never been a problem. I would, however, recommend Dicor as the sealant.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 10-08-2012

I ran my backup camera cables behind the cabinets using the original wire runs. It nearly kicked my butt, some of those area are real hard to get past. I won't do it that way again.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 10-08-2012
Forum owner

I;m not sure when BB started using ducted air conditioning,but my 93 had it.
I ran wires inside the AC ducts from front to back.
The duct is 3'' plastic water pipe,drill a hole and fish wires in the duct,then seal the holes with bubble gum or your choice of sealer.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-08-2012
Senior

I agree the best way to run antenna cables is along the goat rails on the coach and thru the ceiling near where the cables terminate ( I go thru the roof over where the side overhead inside bins are located as close to the satellite or antenna connections as possible). You can buy special roof mount cable access and for the life of me cannot remember what they are called. However they are a steamlined metal that covers the hole you drill thru the roof so that when driving the clamshell keeps the driven rain from forcing its way into the hole. I use Dyco sealant around the 1/2" hole and fill it and then screw the clamshell down over the hole and cable, then fill the clamshell with sealant. Never have had a leak yet,

As for running cables or wires inside the coach I have found the best way is down the overhead bin on the side opposite the bath. Its a straight run all the way to the back on my previous FC and present 1985 PT40. BB installed easily removable panels in the inside back of the storage bins take them off and you have access to the wire bundles. Easy to go from the drivers position, up the left side windshield post (in a plastic wire loom, then across the front overhead then over the door into the passenger side overhead bins straight back to the back bedroom and down thru the engine compartment.
6V92