Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 04-28-2013
Slow Learner

There is lots of discussion on the various bus conversion forums about hot rodding 6V's and 8V's. Don Fairchild of Bakersfield, CA is their resident guru. They discuss different injector sizes, turbo sizes, adding charge air coolers and other mods. From what I read, once you get over 350 to 400hp you start shortening engine life on a 6V.

Mike
2007 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
Old 04-28-2013

About 2/12 years ago Terry Angelino and I replaced all the injectors in both our 8V's. The original injector was a 9G90. We went up to a 9G95. One size bigger.
We were installing a Jake Brake system on our coaches and decide since we were that far into the job, might as well do injectors too. Since I already had a straight pipe exhaust system, I did not notice a huge difference in power immediately. But I did notice it on the hills when pulling my 24 ft enclosed trailer.
What I did notice though was an increase of about 1/2 MPG with the new injectors. When we were doing the Jake and injectors I also pulled the passenger side head to replace the "quad O-ring" we thought was leaking oil. (turned out to be something else) But while we had the head off, we did notice that the burn pattern on the pistons was perfect on all cylinders. So my injector replacement was purely a matter of "while we're there".

If you do replace your injectors with rebuilt units, even from Detroit Diesel, be SURE to inspect the injector thoroughly before installing. Look especially for potential bad springs. Two weeks after we did the job, I was in AZ and climbing some hills, fortunately without the trailer. she start running really ratty and smoking and backfiring. I made it back to Terry's place in NV and started investigating. We found a bad injector on the passenger side. Pulled it out and found the spring had broken. After a thorough cleaning and inspection we found the spring had been corroded and rusted more that half way thru. And this injector was rebuild by DD! Whoever was rebuilding that day should NEVER have used that spring. Needless to say I was just a little bit angry. DD replaced the injector at no charge, but that did not account for the time and labor to tear into it again. So once again, be sure to inspect rebuilt injectors for any possible potential problems.

Diesel Ray from San Diago worked on the Jake and injector project with us and said we probably realized a 25 to 35 HP increase with the bigger injectors and straight exhaust. At that, we probably stand at about 500 to 510 HP. I've read stories of 700 to 750 HP from the 8V's without much problem. But that will always effect longevity. And like Oldgrandad said, once you get the 6V over about 350 or so, you start effecting longevity there.

Since none of us are running a drag races with our coach, a slight increase in power is OK I'm sure, but I'd rather have longevity and reliability.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler

Last edited by Don Meyer; 04-28-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2013

Anyone know what injectors came in the 6v92 from Bluebird? Mines a 83 model.
Versailles, Ky.

Old 04-28-2013

Larry, do you know what HP your engine is rated.
I assume also you have a 6V92TA.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 04-29-2013

Hi Don,

It's the 330 HP 6v92TA.
Versailles, Ky.

Old 04-29-2013

Larry,
At 330 HP you should have injector # 9B90.
This is rated for 330 HP @ 2100 RPM 963 LB-FT torque @ 1200 RPM
With injector timing set at 1.464

If you decide to replace your injectors, give DD your engine number to verify. Your injectors and timing COULD be different. If you have a coach that was built in late 83 that actually has an early 84 motor, the injector numbers could be different. As well as injector timing setting. There is a whole smorgas board of injectors and timing on these engine. You could have either a "California" block or a "Federal" block. Different parts used in each. So just be sure to check the engine number with DD and you'll be fine.

The experience I had was just to change injectors alone for the sake of more power is probably not a good use of money, time or labor. I only did mine because we were there doing other work. If you are not having problems don't tear into it. If you are really looking for more power, consider at least a straight exhaust (with resonator) along with bigger injectors. You would probably feel some difference that way. There a certainly other "hot rod" mods you can make. But is the increase in power worth the money and time. Big decision when spending possible big bucks.

Be sure to have someone knowledgeable set up the rack and governor. Certainly do a valve adjustment while you're there. And use NEW gaskets and grommet hold downs on the valve covers.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler