Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 08-04-2013

Default The attempt to energize a 94 8V92...

This problem arises from this thread...

Just to quickly summarize the stupid thing I did. I connected the positive side of the battery to ground through a switch and quickly burned up my battery cables when I flipped the switch . No power was connected to the power buss bar which connects the batteries to the 12 volt side of the engine/coach. Every wire visible to me has been inspected and I can find no problem with any of the harness. All 12 volt equipment works fine on the coach. Batteries are fully charged (both coach and engine batteries).

So here is where I am and I really need some help. I have built a new battery harness from 2/0 welding cable and QuickCable Fusion connectors and have installed them. The switch still disconnects the batteries from the buss bar and works flawlessly. I check the voltage at the switch and it is 13.55 VDC and when I close the switch it reads the same 13.55 VDC on the output side. On the front of the coach buzzer 1111 blares constantly and the check engine and stop engine lights are lit all the time (key in or out of ignition).

Turn key to start and nothing (either trying from front or rear ignition switches)...nothing at all. Check amperage draw when key is turned to start position and there is none.

I have checked all 12VDC fuses that I know of, all good. So is my logic correct: There is a relay, breaker or a fuse blown somewhere that I have not located? Perhaps a fuse or breaker for the 8V92 ECM? Anyone have some suggestions or experience helping me find where this hidden fuse/relay might be? I have little time to work on this problem due to my driving job and fighting open range cattle off my place. Any help would be most appreciated and I thank you all in advance .

EDIT: I just noticed that the transmission selector is not illuminated...Could this be related to no start attempt because the engine is not receiving gear position from the tranny (defaults to thinking the tranny is in gear)?

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers

Last edited by NealinNevada; 08-04-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2013
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinNevada View Post
This problem arises from this thread...

Just to quickly summarize the stupid thing I did. I connected the positive side of the battery to ground through a switch and quickly burned up my battery cables when I flipped the switch . No power was connected to the power buss bar which connects the batteries to the 12 volt side of the engine/coach. Every wire visible to me has been inspected and I can find no problem with any of the harness. All 12 volt equipment works fine on the coach. Batteries are fully charged (both coach and engine batteries).

So here is where I am and I really need some help. I have built a new battery harness from 2/0 welding cable and QuickCable Fusion connectors and have installed them. The switch still disconnects the batteries from the buss bar and works flawlessly. I check the voltage at the switch and it is 13.55 VDC and when I close the switch it reads the same 13.55 VDC on the output side. On the front of the coach buzzer 1111 blares constantly and the check engine and stop engine lights are lit all the time (key in or out of ignition).

Turn key to start and nothing (either trying from front or rear ignition switches)...nothing at all. Check amperage draw when key is turned to start position and there is none.

I have checked all 12VDC fuses that I know of, all good. So is my logic correct: There is a relay, breaker or a fuse blown somewhere that I have not located? Perhaps a fuse or breaker for the 8V92 ECM? Anyone have some suggestions or experience helping me find where this hidden fuse/relay might be? I have little time to work on this problem due to my driving job and fighting open range cattle off my place. Any help would be most appreciated and I thank you all in advance .
Hi Neal,

My 91 has three circuit breakers mounted beside the Racor fuel filter. Two of the circuit breakers feed 12 volts directly to my DDEC and the third circuit breaker feeds 12 volts to the DDEC via the ignition circuit.

Note: That third breaker is what provides power to the “BAT” terminals on my front and rear ignition switches.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 08-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Hi Neal,

My 91 has three circuit breakers mounted beside the Racor fuel filter. Two of the circuit breakers feed 12 volts directly to my DDEC and the third circuit breaker feeds 12 volts to the DDEC via the ignition circuit.

Note: That third breaker is what provides power to the “BAT” terminals on my front and rear ignition switches.
I checked the three breakers you described. 13.2VDC on each side of the breaker, so they are apparently working fine. Also, I eliminated the master disconnect switch from the hot side of the batteries. The positive cable goes directly to the buss bar, center connector. The connector towards the rear reads 10.77VDC, the other two read battery voltage (13.2 vdc)

Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Map of Service Centers
Old 08-04-2013

Alright, I am focusing on the ECU for the tranny. From what I have gleaned in other posts, without the transmission select pad lighting, the engine will not turn-over. Looking around for the ECU fo the tranny, I have found an Allison ECU in the front bay where the generator controls are (street side, first bay). Any tricks for getting the ECU out? It looks like there are three bolts holding it to side of compartment. Is pulling the cooling fan for the generator required to get the ECU out?

Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Map of Service Centers
Old 08-04-2013
Forum Moderator

On my 94 and this 99 I had to pull the fan to get at that ECU. When you get it out check out the plug interface for moisture. Even a hint of H2O isn't good. It's a bad place for a piece of electronics IMO.
Old 08-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
On my 94 and this 99 I had to pull the fan to get at that ECU. When you get it out check out the plug interface for moisture. Even a hint of H2O isn't good. It's a bad place for a piece of electronics IMO.
I really doubt it is moisture...What I think has happened is that a fuse or two blew inside the ECU when I grounded the batts to the frame or I fried it. It looks like four Phillips screws to release the fan from the shroud, is that correct?

Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Map of Service Centers
Old 08-04-2013
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinNevada View Post
I really doubt it is moisture...What I think has happened is that a fuse or two blew inside the ECU when I grounded the batts to the frame or I fried it. It looks like four Phillips screws to release the fan from the shroud, is that correct?
Yes two at the back and two up front. You may be able to get away without disconnecting the wiring to the fan motor if you only need to lift and move the fan shroud just a little. I just went out and checked my fan and I misspoke earlier. It was only my 94 that required the fan shroud to be removed for access to the tranny ECU. I recommend you at least try blowing a little air in the plug interface just in case. I had to look really hard to notice the dew-like droplets that got into mine....tiny they were. Good luck Neal.
Old 08-04-2013

Thanks Rob...hope to get it out today.

Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Map of Service Centers
Old 08-04-2013
Old Guy

Neal
On my 94 there are two small wire inline fuses that connect directly to the start batteries and feed the DEC box. My coach would not start and after two days of checking everything, chasing what I thought was a fuel issue, a old Williams 8V92 mechanic told me to check for the wires that feed the DEC. Bingo it started immediately.
314-378-9882
Old 08-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryKehler View Post
Neal
On my 94 there are two small wire inline fuses that connect directly to the start batteries and feed the DEC box. My coach would not start and after two days of checking everything, chasing what I thought was a fuel issue, a old Williams 8V92 mechanic told me to check for the wires that feed the DEC. Bingo it started immediately.
Larry, thanks for this BUT I see no inline fuses directly connected to the engine batteries. Hmmm....

Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Map of Service Centers