Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 01-08-2014

Default Late Introduction

Hello everyone and a big thank you for all of the great things I have found on this forum. You’ve all helped me a lot in my journey so far. So let's start at the beginning. I have wanted an RV for some time to park at a local ski lake in the summer near my home in Omaha, NE. I was not set on what I wanted but was all over the board. I searched all the local classifieds literally every night for 2 years waiting for the deal of a lifetime. In all that time, I only tried to pull the trigger twice; one time finding it was a scam and the other, which was two birthdays ago, was a last ditch effort to get something I could park on the lake (it was a 19 foot 5th wheel). This last year was very busy with work and I eventually gave up on the idea altogether.

About 2 weeks after I gave up my quest, I was awakened by a rumble outside my bedroom window about 2 am on a Sunday morning. I got up and looked out my window to find a 1990 WB parked in front of my house. I apologize in advance, but I had no idea what it was at first, nor had I ever heard of a Blue Bird Wanderlodge. I then went down stairs and looked out a closer window and noticed a For Sale sign in the window. I laughed to myself and went back to the bedroom and said to my wife "there is a huge motor coach in front of our house that has a for sale sign on it - you're in trouble". She shrugged it off and said go back to bed your sleeping (back story... I sleep walk a lot so she did not think anything of it).

We awoke the next day, both looking out the window saying, wow that thing is sweet. I tried the number on the sign with no luck. I had to work in the garage the next day for work so I would stop and see if there was any activity by the coach every 10 min. At lunch, there was still know one around, so I went for an upclose look. I wrote down the logo name and went searching online. That's when I stumbled across your forum.

Let me tell you, I research the death out of anything I do and come across a lot of forums. I have never seen a better group of people that are honestly looking out for one another and keeping the negative to a minimum, making it an inviting forum.

Thinking back to my previous RV searching, at no point did I ever consider a motor coach like this, but once I saw one for the first time, I knew I had to have it. The day it arrived in front of my house involved a constant back and forth to the window to see if I could tell which neighbor was responsible for bringing it my way. Finally, I noticed some movement in the coach late in the day. I went down to find my neighbor inside doing some cleaning. I said to him what is this big a** thing doing in front of my house jokingly. He went on to tell me it was his boss's and he was just getting back from a work meeting that they all took it out for the night before. I was able to get the low down on what was done to it and what they were thinking of selling it for. I then asked if he could take me for a spin. He said that he had to get it cleaned up and back to the office and didn't have time. That's when I dropped it on him "I'm interested in possibly purchasing it".”

He was a little taken by surprise since I hadn’t mentioned my interest in an RV to anyone but my wife, let alone the cream of the crop. I asked if he could keep it in front of my place the next day so I could do some digging and see if I wanted to buy it. He called his boss and they agreed to keep it there. I own a construction company and I am a mechanically inclined person so I proceeded to look around the coach. First was to fire the beast up and look around the motor. Nothing major looked out of place, so I shut her down. Having never worked on something with air suspension, I did not know the danger. In my few hours of searching on your forum, I had not yet come across any of the warnings. Wow, let me tell you I am a lucky guy. I was rolling around underneath the thing with amazement of the construction of this beast. That's when things started to get a little tight. If I remember correctly, I was under the oil pan looking up at something when I noticed I could not roll around. I was able to suck in the gut and get out from under it. I had thought maybe I had just wiggled into a tight spot and originally thought nothing of it. It was lunch time, so I went in for some food. I came back out about an hour later and found that all the air in the suspension had let out and it was much lower. That's when I realized, I was probably minutes away from being the wicked witch of the west with my feet sticking out the street side and being crushed to death. Heed the warnings everyone MAKE SURE TO PROPERLY SUPPORT YOUR COACH IF YOU PLAN ON GOING UNDER. After spending many hours on WOG forum, I now feel pretty dumb that I hadn’t even given that a second thought when going under. Never again will I make that mistake. Now back to the story.

After a thorough investigation, I found many things I was uncomfortable with and came back with a low ball figure which they said no to. I said give me one more day to do some more looking and research to make a final offer. I then went through it even more thoroughly (In my opinion but now I think my inspection was a joke). After looking at it again, I found even more issues one being the water system was let to freeze. I came back to them still wanting it but gave them my bottom dollar which was even lower than my first and said that is my best offer take it or leave it. Well they took it.

On June, 26 2013, my wife and I became very proud owners of one of the best coaches ever built. I was very excited, but knew I had some work in front of me. It took me about 2 weeks to re-plumb the water system and get the waste pipes fixed from being cracked. It took a lot longer to learn all of the little intricacies that come along with owning a Bird.

I hope to be a contributor here in the near future now that I have 6 months of Bird ownership under my belt. I was able to park the bus the end of this summer for 2 months at the lake and can't wait until next summer. Two weeks ago, I started getting ready to make the journey to Q and I am looking forward to meeting some of you down there if the beast makes it. We will hopefully be arriving late on the 24th if all goes as planned and breaking for friends and the beach in Santa Monica when everyone breaks for Vegas. I will do my best to get some pictures uploaded soon.

YourOmahaContractor.com
Old 01-08-2014
Forum owner

Paul!
Welcome to the zoo!

Let me get this straight.
you wake up to a noise and that awesome black bird is sitting in your street?
With a for sale sign?
How lucky is that!!
Its a pretty thing!!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-08-2014

I don't think it would have happened if the circumstances were any different.
Very lucky indeed.
Thanks
YourOmahaContractor.com
Old 01-08-2014
Forum owner

It was meant to be yours!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-09-2014
Tired and now Retired!!

Welcome to the WOG!
This is a great place to learn and make friends.
I also got mine in June 2013 and am so glad I found this site.
You will enjoy your Bird and everything that comes with it... US!!!
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Old 01-09-2014

Thanks Greg!
I have been learning allot since the purchase but eager to learn even more.
YourOmahaContractor.com
Old 01-09-2014

Hey Paul, Nice looking coach. We'll be heading for Q on Monday with a few stops on the way. Look forward to meeting you and swapping stories. We got ours this past January. Nearly a whole year now. I've learned a lot and most of it was from this forum (plus working on the BMC).
2010 Jeep Wrangler Mountain
Old 01-09-2014
ANOTHER REDNECK

its got a total black inside too right show it off as i bet a bunch have not seen that beautiful bus!!!!!!!
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 01-09-2014

Thanks Ron. Looking forward to some stories.

Woody, sorry but not all black inside but not to shaby. I will get some more pics up soon.
YourOmahaContractor.com
Old 01-09-2014

Great to have you on board with us Paul . Loved your story and I even believe it because that type of thing happens to me ALL THE TIME. That's why I have a collection of cars and motorcycles (some which will be for sale in the spring). Since your wife buys the story what type of motorcycle or car do you prefer because I intend to be parking one or so in front of your house with a for sale sign on it soon? Or should I just pick? Your and I are lucky fellows because most of the wives figure out pretty quickly that a phone call to the right person can get most anything to "appear ". Another trick is the "it followed me home" trick. That one still works for me after using it for 40 some years.

Enjoy the coach it's a beauty and keep the lies coming because none of us ever tell on each other. Well most of the time we don't. We accept bribes to keep quiet and love pictures . Great story's nice writing and moms the word from me.

I

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold