Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-18-2014

Default Diagnostic Plug / Port Location

Does anyone know where to find the diagnostic plug / port on a 1988 fcrb? I want to check to see if I'm getting any codes from my ZF transmission but I can't locate the interface.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbirm01 View Post
Does anyone know where to find the diagnostic plug / port on a 1988 fcrb? I want to check to see if I'm getting any codes from my ZF transmission but I can't locate the interface.

Thanks.

Don't think there is one. When we were at Precision Transmission they used meters they placed in line between the chassis harness and the ZF control module. If codes were stored I never saw them pull them or share them with us. No ports for code retrieval on our 90 SP.

What, if any, problems are you having?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-18-2014

My transmission neutraled-out at the start of a couple of trips. I got about 1/2 mile and the transmission slipped to neutral. I stopped, put the bus into neutral (pushed the N button), put the bus back into drive (pushed the D button), and everything was OK for the rest of the drive.

This has happened twice. No other symptoms.

Ideas???

Sean
Old 04-18-2014

Sean, The ZF has been found to have a low voltage problem on our applications. In the "Site Search" box type in ZF Voltage and it will lead you the repairs if that is your problem. Low voltage is one of the issues for dropping into neutral.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-09-2014

Default Slipping into Neutral

Rick, the ZF Voltage doc says the fix addresses: "hard or erratic shift complaints will not engage forward or reverse". It suggests to "retrofit with a new powers supply feed".

I've been working with Ed at Phoenix Transmission and Engine (http://www.phxtransmission.com/) - super helpful with ZF and CAT setups by the way.

He suggests replacing the Transmission Control Unit (TCU) as the next step (..could be a cracked board). Is the ZF electronic control module mentioned in the doc part of the TCU or is it something separate from the TCU?

Is my situation similar to that experienced by anybody else that you've heard or read about?

Thanks for any response.

Quote:
My transmission neutraled-out at the start of a couple of trips. I got about 1/2 mile and the transmission slipped to neutral. I stopped, put the bus into neutral (pushed the N button), put the bus back into drive (pushed the D button), and everything was OK for the rest of the drive.

This has happened twice. No other symptoms.

Ideas???

Sean
Old 05-09-2014

That TCU is quite expensive. Has your man got a source? Will he take it back if it is not the problem? I would not go for the "High Price Fix". until the cheap fix has been tried.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-09-2014

My guy says he can get a TCU for around $350 (programmed). It sounds like I can install the unit myself. Is replacing the ZF Electronic Control Module less expensive and reasonable to replace without much rooting around?
Old 05-09-2014
Administrator

If you can get the electronic control module for 350 get it fast. even it is for a spare
Old 05-09-2014

Quote:
My guy says he can get a TCU for around $350 (programmed). It sounds like I can install the unit myself. Is replacing the ZF Electronic Control Module less expensive and reasonable to replace without much rooting around?
The Transmission Control is a ZF Control. I don't think anyone can get a programmed control for that kind of money. I think I have heard the number 6 thousand thrown about. If your mechanic can get them for 350 he will have a market here at WOG.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-09-2014

$6000 is a long way from $350. I'll have more info monday.

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing...I'm referring to the box located below the shifter buttons behind the panel on the fc that connects to a bundle of wires from the transmission.