Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions

Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions Sometimes as we travel throughout the country it may help to know what the current Highway, Road and Weather conditions are. Here is a good place to list current conditions and also good and bad roads that you have found in your travels You will also find here links to all of the USA road conditions and Weather Forecast and Radar condition web sites.

Site Search:

Old 03-01-2018
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Default Cruise-control and Flying Bus

Maybe some of you are aware of this, I can't believe I wasn't. Maybe I'm not the only one.

"A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago. It was raining, though not excessively when her car suddenly began to hydro-plane and literally flew through the air. She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence! When she explained to the Police Officer what had happened, he told her something that every driver should know –

She thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain….
But the Police Officer told her that if the cruise control is on, your car will begin to hydro-plane when the tires lose contact with the road, and your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed making you take off like an airplane. She told the Officer that was exactly what had occurred. The Officer said this warning should be listed, on the driver’s seat sun-visor,
Along with the airbag warning. We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe speed – but we don’t tell them to use the cruise control only when the road is dry.

The only person the accident victim found who knew this, (besides the Officer), was a man who’d had a similar accident, totaled his car and sustained severe injuries."

http://www.thisblewmymind.com/never-...ol-rain-heres/

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 03-01-2018

Or Snow and Ice.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-01-2018
Gardner

The same caution applies to the use of the retarder as well. Not good on slippery/wet surfaces.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-01-2018
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
The same caution applies to the use of the retarder as well. Not good on slippery/wet surfaces.
Gardner, please elaborate. All verities of retarders?
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 03-01-2018

Having had the job I had and driven all the millions of miles I drove I was pretty much a "seat of the pants" driver. The more you feel in your hands, feet, and "seat of the pants" the more control you have of any vehicle. When you have cruise on, that all goes away. The older I have gotten, I have also gotten lazier, especially in the bus. However, I never use cruise control in slippery conditions in any vehicle and above all means in heavy rain or snow and ice. The retarder on the bus is set to come on as soon as I take my foot off of the accelerator, most of the time. It is put on OFF as soon as slippery conditions occur. Again, I want to feel what is going on and you can't when something mechanical or electronic is doing things for you. I am clearly not a proponent of self driving cars

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 03-01-2018

Cars with newer Cruise Control will kick off when they sense slippery conditions.
I use the cruise control in my car more than I use the throttle pedal!
It works as low as 20mph and has a forward radar to measure the distance behind the car ahead. It's tied in with the ABS and full time all wheel drive to sense any slipping.
You can adjust your speed with the lever. Half click for 1 mph full click for 5 mph.
When setting the speed it will set at what ever speed your going. To align your speed with the 5 mph increments of the speed limit you click up or down a full click. It will also apply the brakes when going down hill and bring the car to a full stop if traffic stops.
This car was really cutting edge when new, but electronics and software are cheap ways to add technology to cars, now most makes offer it in some form.
Old 03-01-2018
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Bill View Post
Gardner, please elaborate. All verities of retarders?
The issue is the retarder can apply significant resistance to the rear drive axel wheels. On slippery pavement the wheels could slip resulting in loss of traction similar to snow like conditions. In the Jacobs manual it is stated not to use it in those kinds of conditions (wet, snow, loose gravel, etc) I have to believe the same issues exist regardless of the actual retarder type.

If the retarder comes on with the brakes it still provides significant resistance relative to the other coach axels. Just a word of caution, something to keep in mind.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
The issue is the retarder can apply significant resistance to the rear drive axel wheels. On slippery pavement the wheels could slip resulting in loss of traction similar to snow like conditions. In the Jacobs manual it is stated not to use it in those kinds of conditions (wet, snow, loose gravel, etc) I have to believe the same issues exist regardless of the actual retarder type.

If the retarder comes on with the brakes it still provides significant resistance relative to the other coach axels. Just a word of caution, something to keep in mind.
Says the same in the ZF manual.