Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 06-22-2018

Default Air filter needed and near Grand Caynon South Rim

Hi all,

Had a situation coming into Williams from the west side on 40 as we did the final
last 10 miles or so. Got a lot of smoke and lost some power on the climb that some day is 8 to 9 perc .
From reading on WOG - I’m thinking a mix of the extreme heat , was about 95’, and the hot start from Phoenix.
There is a Auto Zone in Tuba city - our route as we head to Moab, that can get the Luber Finer LAF 9396 for about 131.00 w taxes.
Power was good in late afternoon after we paused in Williams for a couple of hours. Maybe not as much as flat areas.

My questions are , is this the best filter for it? I’m ruling out the Turbo because most power still there.
What about all tht black smoke? I know it smokes some but that initial burst of black smoke that could have painted the desert black for 100 feet puzzled me.
I’ll be staying at Ten X probably later today ,
Any ideas or anyone around w a spare filter and some tools be great !
BTW - we bought the BB and picked it up in San Diego and this bird has been driving better than expected otherwise.

Thank you so much ahead of time for any input,
Just wanted to leave the PO alone for a bit. He gave me all the part numbers
and has been incredibly helpful!

Giovanni
Avion 1972 25’
Old 06-22-2018

I just purchased air filter from Amazon for cheap. Less than 40 bucks delivered. Not sure if air filter your problem but never hurts to keep that one fresh.
Austin, Texas
Old 06-22-2018

Do you have a boost gauge?

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 06-22-2018
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifedreamer View Post
Hi all,

Had a situation coming into Williams from the west side on 40 as we did the final
last 10 miles or so. Got a lot of smoke and lost some power on the climb that some day is 8 to 9 perc .
From reading on WOG - I’m thinking a mix of the extreme heat , was about 95’, and the hot start from Phoenix.
There is a Auto Zone in Tuba city - our route as we head to Moab, that can get the Luber Finer LAF 9396 for about 131.00 w taxes.
Power was good in late afternoon after we paused in Williams for a couple of hours. Maybe not as much as flat areas.

My questions are , is this the best filter for it? I’m ruling out the Turbo because most power still there.
What about all tht black smoke? I know it smokes some but that initial burst of black smoke that could have painted the desert black for 100 feet puzzled me.
I’ll be staying at Ten X probably later today ,
Any ideas or anyone around w a spare filter and some tools be great !
BTW - we bought the BB and picked it up in San Diego and this bird has been driving better than expected otherwise.

Thank you so much ahead of time for any input,
Just wanted to leave the PO alone for a bit. He gave me all the part numbers
and has been incredibly helpful!

Giovanni
Keep in mind that you're driving in high elevation areas - not as much air for combustion. You have to take it easy on the throttle and let the turbo build boost pressure as you slowly add fuel with the throttle pedal.

Also, don't lug the engine while climbing, shift into a lower gear that keeps your RPMs up.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 06-22-2018

Default More info

On the 83 I’m not sure where the boost gauge would be.

As for lugging it - I think I may have just before.
I was feeling good speed and built up a lot of speed for the climb, and even passed a truck as we started the climb.
I was in 4th , then went down more and more as things started to progress in a different direction.
What happened next was a sound that was like the 12 o’clock lunch horn. I looked around thinking it was the truck I’d just passed.
That’s when I saw the big gust of Balck smoke.

That sound came back again as we came into Ten X but was sporadic.
If I took foot of accelerator it would happen. And only on climbs I feel.

I’ll take the advise then to start at lower gear before climbs.
The trans oil reading at or near 230 to 240’ and yesterday’s was in the 220s.
That sound is what baffles me. Wondering if the transmission is part of problem but on normal straight away it’s good.

Thank you for the advice !
We’ll do Tuba city air filter early next week!

Giovanni
Avion 1972 25’
Old 06-22-2018

Hi Gio,
There is no boost gauge nor pyrometer. Lots of gauges, but not those.

Might be worth leaving your fan override on and see what happens to the transmission temps. Only air flow through the trans cooler will bleed the heat and the coolant temp is what turns on the cooling fan.

Around 250F on the trans temp diminishes life of the trans fluid. I'd think even >235F would do the same, but maybe at a slower pace.

I thought the noise might be your pressure relief on the hot water tank. Did you make sure to turn off your fresh water pump and bleed pressure from that system by opening a faucet before the drive?

I don't know maintenance interval, but am confident that air filter has no more than 8k miles. I'd be surprised if it needs to be changed more frequently than 20k - 30k. I didn't ever drive on a dirt road or dusty conditions.

Still, I'm learning too and never really saw such extreme temperatures during my 8 years of mostly coastal trips.

cheers,

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 06-22-2018

Default Follow up

Yes , did that. And will keep the fan in overdrive.
Been great this trip and still running. Yes , the high altitudes and temperatures are im sure testing the BB.
Next bigger trip will be descent into Tuba city from south rim. Going into lower elevations so should be interesting to see if it all clears up!
Thank you Doug!

Gio
Avion 1972 25’
Old 06-22-2018

You are welcome! Well, I guess something else is making the noise.

You will test the jake brake on the descents. If you need lots of brake, go down a gear. You will notice that the engine brakes much harder at higher RPM, too.

You will be ready for your bus driver certification testing soon! :-p

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 06-22-2018

Did you know that you have a pedal on the floor that operates your air horn? That pedal has scared the bejesus out of more than one WOGGER.
Any idea when the fuel filters were last changed? That may solve several problems.

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 06-22-2018

I was gonna suggest fuel filters also. Is it possible noise your hearing is when cooling engages to run.