Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 06-10-2009

Default Kohnler runs no Juice to panel

I recently purchased my first bird (81 fc) and it has a 12.5 Kohler in it. I have it running but I am not getting any electricity in the bus it self. I have the switch set to gen and the panel breaker on in the closet. It is my understanding that if the generator is wired correctly that it would shut down if the gen is not putting out electricity. So the question is there a way to se if it is putting out elect. Another note the fan motor does not come on as well HELP!!!!!
Old 06-10-2009
Forum owner

check the circuit breakers on the gennie itself.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-10-2009

Hi Ron,

On my 86 PT38, if the generator stays running, it's putting out elec. This is because the fuel solnoid runs off the elec output of the gen itself, not the batteries. So, if it stays running, it is probably putting out SOME power. I have a main breaker for the gen output on the frame next to the gen. I'm not sure how an FC is set up. But Randy mentioned the breaker on the gen itself. Sounds like a logical place to start. Also when my fan motor died about 2 years ago, it turned out to be a loose wire at the junction box on the fan motor itself.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 06-10-2009

thanks guys I will look at the breaker in the gen set as see if it is switched off. and check the wires on the fan motor. Also where is the step switch at? the only thing I have found is insode the step panel where the selector swith is for the power source and it just says set main breaker ( or something to that effect) both the step and the gen slide wont work. Any ideas there ......thanks
Old 06-10-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoles View Post
I recently purchased my first bird (81 fc) and it has a 12.5 Kohler in it. I have it running but I am not getting any electricity in the bus it self. I have the switch set to gen and the panel breaker on in the closet. It is my understanding that if the generator is wired correctly that it would shut down if the gen is not putting out electricity. So the question is there a way to se if it is putting out elect. Another note the fan motor does not come on as well HELP!!!!!
I will vote for this being a faulty voltage regulator because of the inoperative fan, unless you have a model that the fan runs off of the engine and not powered by an electric motor that gets its power through the generator itself. Read through the threads on this sub-forum Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

The circuit breakers that are located inside of the generator compartment are locate on the back wall on my '82FC, I have a Perkins/Marathon 15K genset so my voltage regulator is externally mounted, on a Perkins/Kohler 12.5K the voltage regulator is located inside of the back cover on the Kohler itself.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	108049971.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	2168  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-10-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Ron,

Please add the year and model of your 'Bird and your location to your permanent signature;

Quote:

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-10-2009

Hi John,

You may be right about the voltage reg. I'm not sure if the FCs are like the PT's.When my voltage reg went out about 2 months age, the gen would not stay running because the fuel solnoid needs 12 volts to stay in. When the reg went, no voltage at all resulted in the gen NOT even staying running. I was able to hold the throttle open by hand and meter the gen output. No voltage anywhere. New reg (600 bucks) resulted in 12 volts to the solnoid and 240v to the coach. Are the FC's designed like the PT's in that the 12 volts for the fuel solnoid comes off the gen output and NOT somewhere else?

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 06-10-2009

Don;
Are you sure that your 12 volt power comes from the generator.
My Generator, the power for the 12 volt control circuit is fed from the batteries, I have an independent battery being charged by the inverter/charger and engine alternator.

My schematic:
CR - 120 volt relay (3 pole double throw)
C, 1CR and 2CR are 12 volt "bosch" type relays (1 pole double throw)

If you do not have 120 volts, the CR relay will not energize, thus the engine will not stay running.

I have heard of so many stories of how the generators are hooked up, if you follow the Kohler schematics, and rewire it the way it is supposed to work, you will have a reliable generator in that if something were to go wrong, the engine/generator will shut down in a timely manner.
Old 06-10-2009

As I suspected, your setup on the FC must be different than the PT. When my gen first started acting up and not staying running, I called George Morris. He now works for Blealky, but used to be with BB. He's the one that educated me to my unit. The "run" power for mine comes from the gen once it fires up and starts producing power. The only hookup to my gen battery is just for cranking the starter and the initial "pull in" of the fuel solnoid. Once the gen starts the 12 volts comes from the gen itself.

If no one else can pin point the problem for you, give George a call at Bleakly in GA. He's always willing to talk and help BB owners. Feel free to tell him Don Meyer suggested you give him a call.

Bleakleys # 877-456-3700

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 06-10-2009

Don:
Just found another drawing, and this must be like what you have.
Each and every one is just a little bit different.

I am installing a new Stamford Newage generator and the whole thing cost me $2800 or so, and you paid $600 for the regulator alone - WOW.