Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 05-25-2019

Default Trav’ler Satellite Dish

Can anyone tell by looking, how old this likely is? The PO disconnected everything entertainment related, this included. I’m not sure if it works at all, but the Dish triple LNB is broken in some way, causing it to float relatively free at the end of the arm. The black box is still in the overhead, but only lights up for a second and turns off. It seems to be missing a multi pin cable and connector also.

I am debating whether I should get this functional or install a Roadtrip T4, so the kids can watch on long days on the road.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2A27248E-BDB3-4488-86FE-4F32118AB395.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	62104  
Jeep TJ Toad - LS 5.3 swap in process
Old 05-25-2019
Satellite dish installer.

My Opinion:

The Traveler is a much better choice than any domed dish system.

The company that makes your Traveler is very supportive and has a number you can call for help...they also have dealers all over north america that you can go to for any parts that you need like the head...It is one of the only automated dish systems that seems to keep on working even after the service provider has done upgrades etc...

You can download the manual for it online to help you figure out what you might need to get it going...

http://www.winegard.com/help/images/8/89/2452282.pdf

Les & Debra Willey
LesdotWilleyatSkywaySupplydotca
six04.7five6.192one
Mission, BC, Canada
88 WB40
Old 05-25-2019

Totally agree with Les. My Travler just keeps on ticking and with Winegard’s help, I’ve been able to nurse it through a tree encounter as well as the conversion described below. Their telephone assistance is awesome. Just be sure to call first thing early in the morning and you will get right through.

Should be a sticker on the bottom of the inside control box. Link somewhere on the Winegard site tells how to read it. Mine was built in 2014. At house we recently converted from DIRECTV to DISH. Purchased a kit from Winegard to convert my Directv Travler for about $250 that included new reflector, feed horn arm and LNB made specifically for DISH. DISH said newest Hopper would work if coach is stationary, but recommended a Wally receiver instead due to hard disk problems inside the Hopper 3 receiver when the coach is moved. With the Wally they said I could add a mobile USB hard disk if I wanted recording capability and both receivers are HD. Add that the Wally was $50 extra but the Hopper was $250 extra, and the decision was easy. I also have a Winegard G2+ for tree’d campsites. Only the Wally would work with it. If you need service while moving (we don’t), a new domed dish on the roof with a Wally + USB portable HD would likely be your best bet.

Have been very impressed with DISH compared to Directv, especially since AT&T took them over. It appears Directv is moving away from service for RV’rs while DISH is more than happy to pick up the slack .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F8BAA604-7239-4361-AB3C-A06472A7728D.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	62105  
Old 05-25-2019

We have a Direct TV Traveler on our BMC that we have never used.
Why not use an unlimited cell modem and Directv Now?
It works for us everywhere we go.

Keirn Rush, Carolyn Rush
and Mike the Wanderdog.
New Bern, North Carolina
keirn@keirnrush.com
252-249-2628
95 BMC 37
Old 05-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirn and Carolyn View Post
We have a Direct TV Traveler on our BMC that we have never used.
Why not use an unlimited cell modem and Directv Now?
It works for us everywhere we go.
Thank you for the idea! Many of the places we go have very little cell signal.
Old 05-25-2019

If it wasn’t for the desire to have the entertainment for our littles, the existing unit, if I can get it to work, would be the easy choice.
Old 05-25-2019

IF one has cell service, Keirn is correct and that can work well when rolling. We have both AT&T Mobley (slow) and recently added Verizon pUDP (fast). Porting either Directv or DISH to a big TV is easy with an AppleTV. HOWEVER, out west and even with our now dated WeBoost 4G-X, there are times when the DW would be without TV IF we relied solely on cell service. And that simply would not work. Hence the sat dish alternative. It’s a Big Country out west and Boondockers love that

DISH also has a little recording device called a HopperGO that allows one to wirelessly show recorded programs on up to 5 iPads or other devices without an internet connection. Not for us, but is another option that seems ideal for the kiddies.
Old 05-25-2019

Bedroom tv has built in DVD. I carry an assortment. Old school but works. Keep the travlr!
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920

Last edited by atckip; 05-25-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: trying to type on my phone:(
Old 05-25-2019

I bid $250. You can take the reflector off and junk it before you ship the rest to me.
Old 05-26-2019

I sent an email to Winegard, I sent them pictures of the components that are left in my coach. Once they tell me everything I need I am going to rebuild the Trav'ler. I am also going to add a Roadtrip T4 to the system as soon as I find a good deal on a used one, then I should have the best of both worlds.

Does anyone have a T4 they want to get rid of?