Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 06-08-2019

Default Proper boost level?

We just got back from about a hour long cruise pulling the toad for the first time and to see if the new gauges were working. Pulling up grade in 6th gear I saw a max boost pressure just under 20psi. I’m thinking this could be lower than normal. What does everyone else max at?
Old 06-08-2019

I found some old posts from AC7880, it seems like the stock reading would be at least 24 with some people getting up to 32. Guess I’ll start looking for leaks and checking the operation of wastegate.
Old 06-08-2019

Check exhaust manifold gasket for leaks. My 8V92TA dropped 12 lbs on a minor leak.
Old 06-08-2019

I’ll get some mirrors out tomorrow and check it out, thanks.
Old 06-12-2019

Help needed from the group. I made a tool to check the intake tracts ability to hold pressure and got a surprise. I have an air leak at the top of the holset air compressor. I didn’t know it was even connected to the intake. Guess it needs filtered air from somewhere. Blown gasket I guess? It is where the hose attaches to a plate with two bolts.
Old 06-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
Help needed from the group. I made a tool to check the intake tracts ability to hold pressure and got a surprise. I have an air leak at the top of the holset air compressor. I didn’t know it was even connected to the intake. Guess it needs filtered air from somewhere. Blown gasket I guess? It is where the hose attaches to a plate with two bolts.

Tell us about the tool. Last November Coachcraft worked their magic on my Bluebird and got me back up to 24" boost. At 24 it keeps up with the cars at a green light.

A tool to help find leaks in the induction system would seem to be valuable to a lot of us.

Keirn Rush, Carolyn Rush
and Mike the Wanderdog.
New Bern, North Carolina
keirn@keirnrush.com
252-249-2628
95 BMC 37
Old 06-12-2019

After a google search to make sure no springs would fly out I removed the compressor intake housing made a new gasket and reinstalled it. About half of the original gasket was mia.
So my tester works in theory but needs some refinement, it was based of a link Woody posted in the past. It is a 4” pvc cap with a gauge and Schrader valve mounted into the end. I used a 4” plumbing flexible rubber coupling to attach it to the inlet of the turbo. The first issue was that it seems that the inlet is probably 3.5”, but I was able to tighten the clamp enough to get it on. The second issue that the worm clamps can’t hold the pressure that a true turbo plumbing clamp can so at about 13 psi the test plug would leave the turbo and head for the yard. After I reinstalled it a couple of times I just ran it to 10 psi listening for leaks. The pressure would drop very slowly, about 1 psi every 5 seconds or so. I think the intake seems pretty solid at this point. We’ll see what effect the blown gasket had on boost pressure.
Old 06-14-2019

I believe you are correct that 24lbs of boost is the max for a stock setup. As you may know various factors such as load, and engine rpm will affect the boost level. Mine with the Banks Stinger system installed will go to 30lbs of boost in certain conditions but a fairly common amount of boost that I see is 28lbs.

When I bought my BMC it had an exhaust leak at the head to the exhaust manifold. It was very sluggish off the line and would not make boost until second gear.

It is much more responsive now.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 07-26-2019

What is the proper boost for the Cat 3208 turbo, 300 HP? I'm seeing a max of 12-13 lbs. climbing a hill.
"Dream Chaser"
Old 07-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexton2186 View Post
What is the proper boost for the Cat 3208 turbo, 300 HP? I'm seeing a max of 12-13 lbs. climbing a hill.
I'm usually pushing 6/8 with it occasionally bumping up to 10/12.
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951