Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Roof air replacement - M380

Going to replace the front roof air in the M380 next week (Dometic Penguin 15K HP/AC) if we can align the planets correctly. Forklift at the ready. Four bolts and some wiring? What am I missing? Can't see much through the removable cover inside the bus. Any other gotchas I need to make a last second parts order for? I have already fitted the conversion board to make it work with the 5 button T-Stat.

TIA
C
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 101k/22xx hours
1987 FC35 TMU/42xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

Chip,i'm not sure on the 380s,but a lot of LXI's had the ac units screwed down from the top side,with self tapping screws.
You may not have to mess with the headliner at all.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

4 bolts secure it. I'd recommend procuring 4 hex head bolts to replace the 4 Philips head screws currently securing the unit; the hex heads won't strip out and are much easier to use. The gasket starts at about 1 inch thick and should be compressed to 1/2 inch thick. It's easy to feel how far you've compressed it from the bottom side during installation.

Pay very careful attention to the wiring and take pictures before you disconnect the old unit; it's not really obvious how to connect the new unit properly. On my LXi BlueBird used a relay up in there on the 12 VDC wiring. I had to pull the inside cover from one of the other units to see how to get the new unit connected correctly. Be sure to kill the 110 VAC power feed at the breaker before the disconnect/reconnect.

Be very sure that the DIP switch settings on the control board match the desired installed configuration (zone number, presence of heat strip, presence of furnace activation, heat pump vs AC only, and all the other options). Climbing up on the coach, removing the AC cover, and opening the control box plus reversing all this is a lot of work to change one switch setting.

If you will be bringing the new unit up on top of the coach before bringing the old one down, try to preplan the movements of the two units as you can run out of space in a hurry.

Have a helper to lift the units in/out of the proper location on the roof; it's a two man job to pick it up and properly position it.

You shouldn't need the freeze sensor with the 5 button board; it's sold separately from the main unit. If at some time you decide to go to the 10 button board all the AC units will have to have a freeze sensor added along with the control board change.

Please note that you cannot have the heat pump and the furnace (Aqua-Hot) working at the same time in the same zone through the thermostat. That's just the way Dometic designed the system. You can have both of them active and select one or the other for heat in a given zone. The selection can be different for the different zones in your coach.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quick question - about to fit the new unit - two blue wires that go to FURNACE on the circuit board, does it matter which one goes to which? As wired from BB, one went to a ground wire and one to a gray wire. Indistinguishable without a multimeter and I assumed it didn't matter since there's no information on this anywhere.
1987 FC35 TMU/42xx hours
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplamb View Post
Forklift at the ready.

Forklift ??

I just tie a rope around the compressor and gently let the unit down to my wife...

Good Ole Bird - 1980 FC35 250T

Rockpapa

Larose, LA
Old 2 Weeks Ago

It doesn't matter which blue wire is connected to which wire in the coach. If it did, they'd be different colors :-). The two wires are connected to a pair of relay contacts on the circuit board; the contacts close to signal the furnace to come on.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 2 Weeks Ago

That's what I figured, thanks.
1987 FC35 TMU/42xx hours