Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 10-28-2008
Gardner

Default transmission cooler

I have a 250 turbo in a 1983 FC 35. It is not the original engine which was perhaps a 3208 N/A or maybe a 225 HP turbo. The coach documentation is a little vague in this respect. Anyway, I was looking at the EAMartin site where they do engine upgrades for BB's and they install a transmisson cooler when installing a higher HP engine. It seems like a good idea for me do the same. What I am not sure of is should I put it before the current heat exchanger or after?

My coach has a heat exchanger that has an in and out for the transmission and an in and out for the engine coolant. It is not part of the radiator. I am not sure if it will really make a difference, but any input would be appreciated.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-28-2008

Prioritizing the auxillary cooler will reduce load on the engine radiator.
MH
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 10-29-2008

Gardner,

Were you overtemping the transmission? If your current setup kept the transmission coolant at the normal operating temp, then I'm not sure you will gain a benefit from the added cooling if it is not needed. A lower cost method of marginally increasing operating temperature range would be to use Transynd. If you are ocassionaly running slightly higher temps when climbing, the Transynd will not break down from these temps as quickly as std fluid.

If the tranmission failure was due to too much torque, I'm not knowledgeable enough in transmissions to know, but I would not think additional cooling would help the overtorque problem. Maybe Mike H. or someone else can clarify this.

Regards,

Glenn
Old 10-29-2008

In the transmission world, operating temperature is everything. I run Dexron right out of the bulk drum in my shop. It has stayed nice and red for 20k miles. Summer past towing 11k #s through the Rockies and over the Lolo Pass temps @ the trans outlet peaked @ 250 degrees, average was @ water temp. Heat exchanger is in radiator bottom tank, auxillary cooler is in back next to gen set.
5000 mile trip, one quart of straight 30 and average mileage of 6.9 engine speed 2150.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 10-29-2008
Gardner

Glenn,
On some hills I noticed the transmission getting up to 260-270 and I would back off to pprevent overheating. This was on East coast hills, I suspect if I was in the Western states I would have to stop to cool off. So an auxillary transmission cooler is probably cheap insurance and might help extend the life of the fluid and transmission.

I still don't know what killed my transmission, but I hope to have a diagnosis soon.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-31-2008
Senior

When the transmission temps go up suspect the radiator especially if the engine temps go up also at the same time.

If you add a transmission cooler always either remove the lines to t he radiator and only use the heavy duty cooler or else install a thermostat in the line with the cooler installed in parallel with the cooler lines to the radiator. IF you install the cooler in series with the radiator you run the risk of cooling down the transmission to much (below 160 degrees F) and increasing the wear. With the bypass if the transmissin starts to overheat the auxillary transmission cooler kicks in and cools it down. In cold weather it is normally completely out of the circuit.

Gardener I would suspect debris in your coolant lines from the destruction of the first engine to be the culprit of your tranny failure.
6V92
Old 10-31-2008
Gardner

Tom,
The last engine replacement was 40k miles ago. I don't know when the last transmission replacement was. I had thought about putting the auxillary cooler in the generator bay and attaching a 12 volt fan to it. That way I could use a temperature sensor (snapdisk) to activate the fan at a specified value thereby maintain the proper temperature.

FYI .
I have a heat exchanger and not a separate radiator section. The coolant is circulated through the heat exchanger to cool the transmission. I will take pictures when I get the coach back.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-30-2009

Our bird also has the water cooled transmission cooler. The engine and tranny stay cool 170-190 even at 105 degrees outside. Last weekend we were climbing a steep grade on a "back highway" after 3 or 4 miles in second gear at 2400 rpm and just under 30 mph the tranny temp was above 260 degrees, maybe 270 or 280 if I had to guess.

When it upshifts the temperature immediately drops back to the engine coolant temperature + a bit. I have also noticed when driving in traffic that the tranny temp rises dramatically as we accelerate through second gear.

I recently epoxied the tranny dipstick to the cap / stop at 36" from the tip of the stick, based on measurements from other members here. After epoxying the loose cap in the assumed correct position I found that I was half a gallon low on ATF. I wonder if maybe the tranny is now overfilled with fluid causing aeration, if this is a normal condition, or if the transmission should be overhauled when I pull it out to replace a leaking front seal.

Any input?

Thanks
1982 FC33
Old 10-01-2009
Senior

Do you have a leaking front seal on the tranny or the rear main seal on the engine?

I believe your tranny holds 4 gallons of fluid. I would not use someone elses dip stick to calibrate yours, could cause the trouble you are having. Rather empty the fluid in the tranny and replace it, in accordance with the specs in your owners manuals which is every 25,000 miles. Unless you know when it was replaced I would replace it now.
6V92