Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 12-29-2010

Default Upgrade charger only?

OK, frankly the more I investigate Xantrex inverter/charger upgrades, the more intimidating it gets to me as a non-electrician. If I understand the attached pic of my setup currently, the Rediline inverter is at the bottom and the two OEM chargers are above.

The inverter is acceptable currently, the chargers are not. Has anyone upgraded just the chargers to an acceptable three stage charger sufficient to maintain my 6 6V + 1 12V setup? What size/amp rating?

This seems like a much simpler, easier to tackle project for me if I can find the right equipment. Lesser investment is a bonus, not the primary reason to back the project down a notch or ten.

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Chargers.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	507.7 KB
ID:	7907  

Mike, Justin, and Ryan Evans
Richland, MI
www.companyfixers.com
1985 PT36 formerly known as "The Pine Mountain Express"
2005 Chevrolet Suburban SuperToad with Blue Ox baseplate and Aventa LX towbar, Brake Buddy
Old 12-29-2010
Gardner

Just an opinion:

Having separate chargers and inverters is as good a solution as having a single inverter/charger. As you stated, your inverter is sufficient for your needs, so replacing just the chargers will be less costly. Getting a pair of chargers that work together is good since the failure of one will not leave you without charging capability. Later on if you need you can replace the inverter.

Either way, you need to do some electrical work, so there is no escape from that.

As far as output, my Xantrex inverter/charger is a three stage unit capable of putting out 80 amps DC for charging. I can limit the ac input current in situations where the shore power is limited so It doesn't hog the entire ac power available. When I use my quiet 2000 watt Honda generator, I need to reduce the power on the Xantrex so there is enough to run other things at the same time.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 12-29-2010

Mike,

Upgrading to an inverter/charger is not a very difficult project overall. More than likely, there are plenty of people on the board (myself included) who can and would help you with the install.

If I understand correctly, the primary desire for you is upgrading to a modern 3 stage charger. Trust me when I say, that is a very good thing to do. Depending on your budget, it might make sense to purchase a combination charger/inverter unit. You already know the price of the refurbished Xantrex units. Even if you are not prepared to make use of the inverter circuitry immediately, the unit WILL function as a charger alone, replacing your old outdated battery boilers. Once you ARE ready to make use of the inverter functionality, it's already there in your coach ready to be connected.

If you feel that you don't need the inverter functionality, a 3 stage charger will cost you a decent degree less.

Installing a 'charger', or connecting the charger portion of an inverter/charger is not too difficult, and can be done within a few hours. Your coach will thank you for it!

-Robert
Linden, Michigan
Old 12-29-2010

Ryan, I had to buy a new charger. I'm electrically challenged. This unit had 3 wires and a electricl pigtail. Easy enough for me. It is Progressive Dynamics, Inteli Power 9200. Bought it at camping World- cause it was close in town. Got it installed in 20 minutes. $250 out the door. Works like a champ
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 12-29-2010

Here's some poop on Inteli-Power 9200 series charger converters (not inverters). Bought 2 60A units last year because looked like state of the art for maintaining batteries over the winter - also has quick charge. Happy so far.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PD9200_Manual.pdf (174.8 KB, 124 views)
Old 12-29-2010

I replaced our PD converter/charger with a WFCO 75 AMP model #WF-9875. Does a great job & is available on Ebay for about $200 delivered. Still have the old PACS inverter which satisfies our needs. The original battery boilers are still in the coach for use as a backup. BTW PD will refurbish a non-working unit for $100 + $16 shipping.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 12-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin41bb View Post
I replaced our PD converter/charger with a WFCO 75 AMP model #WF-9875. Does a great job & is available on Ebay for about $200 delivered. Still have the old PACS inverter which satisfies our needs. The original battery boilers are still in the coach for use as a backup. BTW PD will refurbish a non-working unit for $100 + $16 shipping.
Really? I still have the old one that only puts out 2.93 volts. I'll check this out. Thanks
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 12-30-2010

I agree with R. Glover. I faced the same choice. Opted for the Xantrex and it is currently used for battery charging only, with 110V inverter power ready to go if and when needed. Did it for the peace of mind factor - not to mention I got stupid good price on the Xantrex 458
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 12-30-2010

Thanks for the patience and the responses, guys, much appreciated.

What is the wattage rating of the factory inverter? If I am OK with the current inverter wiring, would the Xantrex be a simple "plug and play" install?

Mike, Justin, and Ryan Evans
Richland, MI
www.companyfixers.com
1985 PT36 formerly known as "The Pine Mountain Express"
2005 Chevrolet Suburban SuperToad with Blue Ox baseplate and Aventa LX towbar, Brake Buddy