Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-13-2020

Default How do you get around when out with the 'Lodge?

I've looked around a bit, and haven't found anything specific to my query. I'm not even sure how what to search for, so haven't conducted a search.

I'm wondering what solutions there are that others have used for getting around when you're at some remote location in your bus. I suspect that when we actually get a bus, a lot of our travels will be while towing our race car on an open trailer. In this scenerio, a toad is not possible. All of our other vehicles are either automatics, or antique/classic cars, so adding a hitch to them is not going to happen. I guess when we aren't racing, we could load a road car on the trailer and take it with us, so there's always that for non-race vacation trips.

When we go to race events, we usually take a couple of bikes with us. They're great for getting around the paddock, but not feasable for hitting the road and going to a store, or a meal, or other things, I'd think.

I've only seen a couple of folding motor scooters, and am not sure of the quality. Those might be an option, but would have to measure the basement compartments to see if they'd fit.

Our neighbor has a hydraulic lift that's fitted to the receiver of their bus they load a Harley on. They then load another bike in the bed of their F250 and it's their toad for long trips. I guess that's also an option, and we could get a decent motor scooter to go there.

Another thought was to stop at a car rental place near our destination and pick up (or have delivered) a rental for a short period of time, but just wondering what options are out there that others are using to get around while at their destination. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2020

Several owners have gotten a couple of these.
https://lectricebikes.com/

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 03-13-2020
FC Owner. Master of Bus Tetris.

depending on how "civilized" your camp spot is. Uber or Lyft are viable options... and there's always the delivery services for everything now grubhub, instacart etc.

if you don't want to get a rental, pour some cash into the locals $12 at a time.
(I used to ride-share drive occasionally, that $6 from uber is handy some days, **tip the drivers in cash, people!**)

how about a smart fortwo? they are exceedingly small cars. shot in the dark, maybe it'll fit in your trailer with some shuffling? they fit sideways on the back of large rv's in the wild.

-bikes are always cheap & easy to stow.

-Dennis (direct email please! dennis@wanderlodgeowner.com)
Hesperia, California

1987 FC31 “A Rare Bird”
(300HP 3208TA/ZF)

1983 FC35SB
(225HP 3208T/MT643/Jacobs Retarder/Cruisair

Towables:
2007 Grand Cherokee CRD
Old 03-13-2020

Good topic..

On my trips last summer, I did 2 different things.

My first choice was Uber / Lyft. In a populated area they work well.

When I could not get an Uber or Lyft (Elysburg PA for instance) I just drove the whole bus. I didn't do too much 'setting up' so it wasn't a big deal to break down camp and drive the bus away for the day. Not always an option, as it depends on where you need to get to. Wasn't a big deal to me, as a former bus driver.

Marc Pease
New Haven, CT
1991 TC2000 (sold)
1982 FC35SB "Rollin' Old School"

marc@marcpease.com
Old 03-13-2020

We carry "Piglet" (Rexann's Vespa LX150).

Carmine Pacchino
Ft Myers Beach, FL
'83 PT35
Old 03-13-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdancin View Post
We carry "Piglet" (Rexann's Vespa LX150).

Cool. How do you store that when travelling? I'd think a Vespa with folding handlebars would almost fit in a basement compartment. Wish you could still get the Honda Trail 70's. Well, you still can, but they're at collector prices.
Old 03-13-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTestDummy View Post
Cool. How do you store that when travelling? I'd think a Vespa with folding handlebars would almost fit in a basement compartment. Wish you could still get the Honda Trail 70's. Well, you still can, but they're at collector prices.
That's the reason I gave you the link in Post #2 They will go almost 30 mph and if you use your head there isn't anyplace, with in reason, you couldn't go. Not to mention the price point

Read this thread https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=34643

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 03-13-2020

What Jim said -- I really like mine. And for the seriously lazy (I resemble that remark), it has a manual "throttle" so you don't even need to pedal to engage the electric motor. With the right accessories, you can carry a lot of stuff. Obviously not a good solution in bad weather, but scooters would have the same issue.

another Jim
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 03-13-2020

"Piglet" rides on a light motorcycle carrier that goes in the trailer hitch, but something rigged on your race car trailer should be workable. A 150 scooter can handle highway speeds and goes two-up very well, though I don't recommend freeway travel with that load.

Carmine Pacchino
Ft Myers Beach, FL
'83 PT35
Old 03-13-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
That's the reason I gave you the link in Post #2 They will go almost 30 mph and if you use your head there isn't anyplace, with in reason, you couldn't go. Not to mention the price point

Read this thread https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=34643
Great read! Since these fold up, they might be a great addition, even if we have other transportation. And yes, with any bike/scooter/motorcycle, you still get wet when it rains. :-)

Good info, all. Thanks for checking in!