Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 03-18-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa View Post
Yes, I believe that I got all new stems. Apparently ours are somehow different that modern stems because both times that I have purchased tires, they have had to look around the shop for stems.

While the tire only has about 300 miles on it, it is sadly about a year old, so I don't think that it is the stem. The sad part is that I have only put 300 miles on the bus in the last year.

Diego
Did you happen to check your air pressure before you left and add any air to that tire? I ask, because, we were getting ready to leave, several years ago. I went out and added a couple of pounds of air to an inside drive tire. I have really bad hearing and wear hearing aids, but apparently still didn't hear the hiss of the valve not closing. Went a short way down the road and the inside went flat. Fortunately I felt something was wrong. They put Equal in my tires when i bought them and were supposed to put special valve stems in to keep that from happening. I don't know if the valve failed, or if they didn't put the right one in, but the tire service guy showed up, he re-seated the bead and filled in up and it was fine. Never had a problem after that, because I would always have a spray bottle of soapy water with me when airing up and spray the valve stem to make sure it was not leaking. So far my eyes haven't failed me, but I can't trust my ears

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 03-18-2020

Jim,

I did put some air in the tires. (Well my son did). Since I have crossfires, I he just put air in through that to about 118# and the indicator on the crossfire was mostly yellow.

The only weird thing that happened on the drive was that I had to brake a little hard for a yellow light and it sounded like the tires skidded very briefly. I passed it off to the rain and the ground being wet. That was about 15 miles from where we stopped and I noticed the tire. Next time I will be more proactive about strange noises, plus I will have tire pressure sensors on every tire.

Diego
Old 03-18-2020

Oh, and this is first time that I have ever had to add air to the drive tires. They were around 100#, but not flat.

Diego
Old 03-23-2020

I finally got the tire checked out. I waited until Southern Tire Mart (on 290 in Austin) called me to let me know that they had a match in stock, in case mine was bad.

Well, my tire was fine. Looked brand new when they pulled it and checked it.

The technician working on the bus said that he thought that the hose going from the crossfire to the inside dual was not tight enough and was leaking. He said that he has seen this happen before and that I should add checking the hoses to my list of things to check a few times a year.

While I was there, I had them change my 130psi crossfires with 120psi crossfires that have the individual valves. I also got a state inspection so I can renew my tag once the tax office reopens.

If somebody has a need for 130psi crossfires, let me know.

Thanks for all the help and advise on my first, and hopefully last, roadside tire adventure.

Oh, and the bill for the tire and crossfire install? $48.00

Diego
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3118.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	66984  
Old 03-24-2020

This thread would probably be a good place to tell about my flat tire adventure.

Coming into Brownwood Texas ( think Middle of Nowhere) late one Sunday afternoon my tire pressure monitor starts beeping. I had my wife immediately get on her phone and start looking for Truck tire repair shops. By the time we get into town it’s slowly leaked it’s way down to about 80 psi. There were no shops available so I decide to just air it up to about 120 or so and start slowly easing towards home. Planning to stop and refill every time it gets down to 80 psi or so.

I get my hose out and Ready. When I went to remove the Tire pressure sending unit, it was already loose and LEAKING. I proceeded to air the tire up to the proper psi and went along my merry way. I later asked my local tire store owner if that was common and he indicated that it’s not unusual.

So the moral of the story is :

1 — Dont leave home without a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. —TPMS .

2—- Use the locknuts to secure the sending units to the valve stems.

3—— Carry with you and know how to use a long hose AND a long TRUCK tire inflation chuck. Order a good Milton Brand from Amazon or EBay. A normal air chuck will not work for filling the inside dual tire.

4 —- don’t count on Road service coming to your rescue in BFE for at least a couple of hours or maybe Never if you’re far enough off the beaten path.

5 —— like Jim mentions above, sometimes putting air in can cause the valve to stick and cause a flat. Always listen unless your hearing is bad —- then you are going to need to trust and pay more attention to your TPMS.
6—— you aren’t driving a car. This takes a little more attention to detail to successfully complete your journey safely. A TPMS goes a long way towards helping you be aware of leaks before they become huge problems. One flat tire can cause the other dual to be overloaded and eventually overheat and possibly catch fire.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift

Last edited by max hendrix; 03-24-2020 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 03-24-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
You know if your driving along and the coach feels odd,its not driving just right,you should stop and take a walk around,kick the tires,check the toad.
The coach may be fine,you may be tired and a good walk around will wake you up.
Or it may be windy and you not even know it.
Sometimes a good walk around and a NAP! is good!
Don't be afraid to stop.
Always great advice from Randy. I would probably keep going and think about it but you know what next time I'll hopefully remember what Randy said and just stop, get out, and take a look
stuart@safcofoam.com
Old 03-24-2020

Just to add a little bit to this thread,
I had a tag axle blowout last year,
couldn't find a tire anywhere, it was Friday evening.
Road service came out and took the tag wheel off,
I drove another 15 miles without a tag wheel
to the campground I was headed for
and ordered a pair of new steer tires for Monday.

In hindsight, I had 3/4 of a tank of fresh water,
I should have dumped the extra weight.
Somebody suggested that I should have removed
the inside dual and put it on the tag.

just food for thought!
Old 03-24-2020

All great advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max hendrix View Post
3—— Carry with you and know how to use a long hose AND a long TRUCK tire inflation chuck. Order a good Milton Brand from Amazon or EBay. A normal air chuck will not work for filling the inside dual tire.
While I have a nice dual tip inflation thing, I just received my new Milton chuck that locks onto the stem. It is hard enough squatting down to squeeze the trigger to inflate our big tires, but having to press the chuck onto the valve while traffic is going past you at the same time is too much.

Milton Chuck

I looked for an auto-inflator, that will stop automatically, but the ones I found only went to 60psi.
Old 04-05-2020

Quick update. I was doing a walkaround the bus yesterday and found that my driver's side crossfire was showing a black indicator. That means that the tires are underinflated. The curb side crossfire was yellow, as expected.

I was convinced that I have a slow leak in the inner dual, so today I went over to check things out and put air into the tire, etc. I took out my tire pressure gauge, and I was quickly able to check both tires individually with the new crossfires and found that both tires were are 115.

I gave the crossfire a little tap with the gauge and sure enough the yellow slid into view. The tires were filled to 120 pounds 2 weeks ago, but it is easily 20 degrees cooler today, so the 115 makes sense.

So nothing to see here, but without having the valve on each side, I would have probably spent a lot more time troublingshooting a non-issue.
Old 04-06-2020

Thank you for finally convincing me to never install these things.