Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Rallies

Rallies Some of the rallies listed here are closed to posting by other than rally masters. Some old rallies are closed do to their being old rallies.

Site Search:

Old 09-18-2008
Forum owner

Default Would you be interested in attending a Wanderlodge Drivers Training Class?

my wife drives all the time,shes towed our racer trailer too,behind the coach,and the trailer is 40' long with two cars inside.

shes driven it alone to our Ga property,200 miles.

heres what we need to do,have a driving school at maxton or somewhere,
maxton would be good on thursday,before the racers get there.

taking a big chance here,but i would help with driver instruction.
we could do it on the track and the return roads,no highway driving (i'm not crazy!)

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-18-2008
Gardner

Randy,
Careful, I might take you up on that at Maxton next spring. It depends on how the vacation time works out. If I do Oshkosh I would probably not make it to Maxton.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-19-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
my wife drives all the time,shes towed our racer trailer too,behind the coach,and the trailer is 40' long with two cars inside.
Driver training could be another thread, I think another BB owner co-pilot/ instructor/coach is a great idea , just not the Husband
Old 09-19-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post

shes driven it alone to our Ga property,200 miles.

taking a big chance here,but i would help with driver instruction.
we could do it on the track and the return roads,no highway driving (i'm not crazy!)

Conducting a Wanderlodge Drivers Training Class at Maxton right before the 2009 Maxton Blue Bird Mini Rally - Hot Rod Magazine Top Speed Challenge could be done as there is plenty of room, using the taxiways / return roads that surround the pit area, but the use of the runway may not work, as at the last race at Maxton that I attended, the Army was using the runway that the LSR races are held on, for a taxiway to get to the US Army Golden Knights parachute teams packing area.

Years ago while I was setting up a SOLO course for the South Carolina Region SCCA at North Air Force Base, in North, South Carolina I taught my girlfriend to drive my old Superior Coach which was a 5 speed and she ended up pulling the equipment trailer with it, so that we could distribute the pylons along the taxiways to set up the course, so Maxton would be ideal, with plenty of room.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-19-2008

Cool

OK boys you asked for it. I asked my wife if she wanted to go to a Bluebird driving school. Her face lit up and her eyes got big and said sure thing. If her schedule permits and you decide that your willing to do it. Were in. I’ll put my name on the Maxton list but it is tentative for now
Kurt & Jeanine Horvath
95 PT-42 & 24’ Haulmark Edge
10AC
Old 09-19-2008
Gardner

Just a disclaimer!
I was not hinting that women couldn't drive a Bird, just that my wife is an unlikley candidate. But that said, she should at least be able to drive it a short distance in an emergency. A driving course would be an excellent idea.

I wonder if a separate topic for driving tips would be of use? I still remember the first time I drove a Bird. I hired Randy to come down and look it over with me. As I was driving he was giving me helpful hints in a knowledgeable way. The one I remember most was:

"you can too go too slow as often as you need, you can only go too fast once"

Other things like watching out for soft sholders, using the rearview mirrors to check your position within the lane, and "mash it" as you start from a red light into a grade.

Other tricks like developing a scan patern of the rearview mirrors, guages, and forward view, etc. that you repeat at regular intervals, and don't stop doing while talking to the co-pilot or trying to figure out what that new funny sound is, or tuning the radio, changing CD's or the like.

A long time ago I read about the concept of an escape route. It was based on the continuous evaluation of where you could go if something happened in front of you, or to the right or left. The more limited your options the slower you should be going and the greater the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you should be.

Of course there is always the errant shi*house that attacks you. For that I have no solution.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-19-2008

Randy, Diane asks who's Bird are we driving?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 09-19-2008
Forum owner

Hey,gardner,you did real well on your first drive in a bird!

Bill, i agree that the husband is the worst teacher,that just never works out well!

we can do a driving school,i don't mind at all,and at maxton theres a real good road all the way around the airport,so we could go out on the highway.

of course,the wife needs to drive the coach that she is part owner of!
and beiing a little familier with the controls will save alot of time,brake release and that kind of thing.

all of you girls need to know how to drive the coach,it just may be a life saver one day.

most men i have taught to drive tend to go to fast in a curve,or on an off ramp.
one thing is the coach seems to be going slower than it is.

you guys remember Tiger? i sodl him a 91SP,we took a test drive and he scared me bad,we went into an off ramp at like 70MPH,one of those clover leaf deals,i'm telling him "brakes,brakes,brakes,then i start screaming TOO HOT,TOO HOT!!!
i didnt scream at first,i didnt want to scare him,but when he scared me,the screaming started! hahaa!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-19-2008
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
Randy, Diane asks who's Bird are we driving?
hers!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-20-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Conducting a Wanderlodge Drivers Training Class at Maxton right before the 2009 Maxton Blue Bird Mini Rally - Hot Rod Magazine Top Speed Challenge could be done as there is plenty of room, using the taxiways / return roads that surround the pit area, but the use of the runway may not work, as at the last race at Maxton that I attended, the Army was using the runway that the LSR races are held on, for a taxiway to get to the US Army Golden Knights parachute teams packing area.
For those of you that are interested a Wanderlodge Drivers Training Class will be conducted during the upcoming Fall Maxton Blue Bird Mini-Rally OCTOBER 23 - 27, 2008 held at Maxton, NC as well as during the 2009 Maxton Blue Bird Mini Rally - Hot Rod Magazine Top Speed Challenge (there is no date set for this 2009 mini-rally yet)

We will need to know ahead of time, by a reply to this thread, if you are interested in attending this Wanderlodge Drivers Training Class.

This will require you to be at the track at Maxton on Thursday October 23, 2008 at the latest by 1pm, so there will be sufficient daylight to conduct this class. The driving class will be held before you get your Wanderlodge set-up in the camping area at Maxton.

This class is only going to cover the ACTUAL DRIVING PORTION, using your own Wanderlodge to take the driving class in. There will be NO classroom session involved, but questions can be asked of the instructor.

The person taking the class will need to know ahead of time, the basics of how to operate their Wanderlodge.

How to start and stop the engine.

Pedal location and what they are used for.

How to place the transmission in gear and what the letters stand for.

The location of the air brakes parking brake button and how to apply and release it

The location of the air gauges and what they should read.

They should also be aware of how a pre-trip inspection is performed.

They should know the height and length of their Wanderlodge.

Reading the Owners and Operators manual included in your BLUE BOX (some are black) is a good source for the information on these topics.

To include the portion of the Wanderlodge Drivers Training Class, that involves driving on the public roads that follows the perimeter of the Laurinburg-Maxton Airport, which is approximately 8 miles in length, you will need a sufficient learners permit, or sufficient drivers license to operate your Wanderlodge from your state of residence, but regardless there are plenty of roads within the pit area and return roads to conduct the class.

Here is a link to a web site that lists the license requirements for each state and most have a link to the states web site, if you want to check further, check out; http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11