Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 09-07-2014
Gardner

Default 3208 starter circuit issue

I have mentioned this before, but decided to give it it's own thread.
For a couple of years I have had an intermittent start issue. Turn the key and nothing happens, or I hear a small solenoid clunk but the starter doesn't engage. This seems to happen in the morning after boon docking. Batteries are not over discharged, just down a little.

Starting generator and engaging the charger seems to clear the issue after the voltage climbs..

Voltage checks throughout the circuit while starting did not show anything conclusive (disconnected the fuel solenoid so I could crank it for a few seconds at a time. )

I replaced the primary start solenoid (the small one), problem still happens on occasion.

I replaced the neutral safety switch and installed a push-button by-pass
as well. When it happened again the bypass didn't help

I installed a momentary switch to bypass the ignition switch start lead and when it failed this did not help either.

I decided it was a weak main starter solenoid and installed a rebuilt starter with new solenoid, issue still happens.

I intentionally ran the batteries down this morning, engaged the inverter and started a 110 volt small compressor pulling the battery voltage way down.. The D*mn thing cranked over just fine, but slower. ..ARRRGGGHHH

So I ran a wire directly from a temporary momentary switch to the primary solenoid to supply 12 volts directly bypassing everything else in the path. If it happens again I will see if this works.

I also did maintenance on all the battery connections, but I have done that before with no help on this issue.

Starter ground is good, primary solenoid ground is good.

If I can get it to fail and have the option of working on it at the time I should be able to find it, but it seems to happen in Wal-marts or at checkout time and I do the generator fix to get it going.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-07-2014
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Intermittent problems are the most difficult to solve. I wonder if there are other elements in the start circuit that could be causing this. Faulty ground? Dirty contact on the A/T switch? Air temperature moisture..... Something simple like that.
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 09-07-2014
Timberlake Products Group

Gardner, I had the same issues for a long time too, intermitent starting. It started out as just every now and then and then got progressively worse over time. Pharted around with the key switch and neutral switch without improvement. I finally got on a creeper noting and drawing a sketch of the starter relays and wiring etc. I removed everything and then cleaned/replaced/crimped/re-crimped/rewired every connection from the starter back. I have never had another issue with it since

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 09-07-2014
Administrator

Does you by-pass switch eliminate the canon plugs??
Old 09-07-2014
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Does you by-pass switch eliminate the canon plugs??
The latest eliminates everything
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-07-2014
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
Gardner, I had the same issues for a long time too, intermitent starting. It started out as just every now and then and then got progressively worse over time. Pharted around with the key switch and neutral switch without improvement. I finally got on a creeper noting and drawing a sketch of the starter relays and wiring etc. I removed everything and then cleaned/replaced/crimped/re-crimped/rewired every connection from the starter back. I have never had another issue with it since
Ryan,
I think that is the final solution. Just trying to avoid it
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-07-2014
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Ryan,
Other than being too fat for a creeper (of which is not a problem for you friend!) It wasn't a bad job. Fortunately the FC solenoid/wiring in question is pretty much right in your face there on the front frame rail. Took me about an hour and a half or so. Most of that time was trying to get up off of the creeper without having to call Sea World, har!

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 09-07-2014

I would call this a bad armature on the starter or a brush hung up. Replace the starter or remove it and take it apart for a looksee inside. Watch the voltmeter when it won't start to see if the battery is going down when it won't start and look for something getting hot fast. Run a battery cable straight from the negative post to the starter case for the perfect ground. Make sure the long bolts that hold the starter case together are not loose causing a bad ground. Found a new starter once that was painted and then assembled causing no ground through the paint. When searching a gremlin every component in every system is suspect. Could also be the copper disc inside the solenoid on the starter. Some of them you can disassemble and turn over for a new clean surface. If you can get it to not start and the lug leading to the field coils is hot with the switch in the start position, it has to be in the starter or a bad ground. Check for continuity between the negative post and the starter case when it won't start. If the reading goes sky high, it is the ground.Good luck.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther

Last edited by Friday1; 09-07-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-07-2014

Make sure you don't have a bad cable to terminal connection on your batteries. They can look fine from the outside but develop a layer of corrosion that is difficult to see, especially the factory cables with heat shrunk insulation over the terminal end. They will work fine for lower loads but when you pour 600 amperes to the starter only a fraction of the current can pass through. You can cut the insulation off and bend the cable over to see what they look like inside.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 09-07-2014
AKA Tent Boy

Gardner,
I will be at New Paltz on Monday, tomorrow, if you want to come up early we can change out those wires and get r dun!!! Let me know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Ryan,

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"