Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 08-06-2015

Default Snake(s) in the Bus

Recently bought a bus from Central Texas that was stored in a barn on a ranch. Drove it 1300+ miles last week to my house in Michigan.

Tuesday I was at the tire place getting new rear tires installed and was on the ground looking under the bus (I was not under the bus) and noticed something hanging down from on top of the rear axle.

See the pic- turned out to be a ~5 foot rattlesnake skin. Told the wife- she freaked out.

Called Critter Control and was talking to them about checking for snakes in the bus and the guy mentions that it was unlikely and if any had gotten in we would see signs of it.

I asked him what signs?

He said likely would find snake poo.

Asked him what snake poo looks like?

He described it which freaked me out as I had noticed something very similar to what he was describing in the compartment under the curb side bed and I had spent considerable time in the bus driving and sleeping in it on the trip up from Texas.

So the Critter Control guy shows up this morning and I show him the substance under the curb side bed and he confirms it is snake poo (see pic).

So the plan the Critter Control guy implemented was to lay a heating pad down with very large glue traps on top of it inside the snake poo compartment.

Looking for suggestions and reassurances from the people from poisonous snake country:

1- Does this sound like a plan that will trap "ALL" the snakes in the bus?
2- Have you ever had a snake in your bus or are we the only "lucky" ones?
3- Should my wife and I be as freaked out about this as we are?

We have also looked into having the bus tented and fumigated but it is very expensive.

We would very much like to enjoy our new to us bus but at this point my wife will not be anywhere in the vicinity of it and frankly I move very cautiously now while inside and really don't want to sleep in it at this time.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snake Skin 1.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	37177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snake Poo 1.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	37178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snake Poo 2.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	37179  

Last edited by fritzfrangle; 08-06-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2015

Good Luck.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-06-2015

Red face snakes

Nooooo ! Snakes are for planes
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 08-06-2015

I'm freaking out
Cape Cod,ma
Old 08-06-2015

WOW Neil!!! Camping is one thing, camping with 'friends' is quite another!

I would think and believe that they are all gone - otherwise you would have seen / heard them. They don't like noise or movement so likely moved on before it was brought into town or when parked in town again.

Freaked? Asolutely warranted
Old 08-06-2015

Snakes need to eat. Unless you have other critters in the bus (like mice) I think the chances of a live snake being there are VERY remote.

I'd worry more about spiders then snakes. I'd attack every crack and crevice with a shop vac and clean out the poo and move on.

I'd like to know how a snake skin would make it from Texas to Michigan hanging from the axle. That is difficult to explain. I'll grant you that.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 08-06-2015

The snake skin was on top of the axle intertwined with all the stuff up there that's why it came out in many pieces.

And to clarify- the compartment with the snake poo is the compartment that the water tank is in, basically the bed frame. Not a outside compartment.

I did set off two Raid Fumigator fog bombs inside the bus as soon as I got it home in my attempt to address the other creepy crawlers from Texas (scorpions, black widows, tarantulas, centipedes, etc.)

I like to think it moved on from inside the bus but can't help but ponder that once it found its way inside it couldn't find the exit. Kinda like the birds that fly into my office.

Maybe this is why we haven't found any mice in the bus.
Old 08-06-2015

What a cool bonus, if you're a herpetologist.
Just some thoughts,
if he's still there in the winter, that should pretty much end the story
I've heard that pigs don't get along with snakes but turning a couple of porkers loose in a bus may be worse than the disease.
I know it's not funny but it could be worse, if the snake is still there and that is unlikely, it'll soon be forgotten. If you had a skunk for a travelling companion, you'd probably never forget him. If it is a snake you might get a belt or a wallet out of him.
Good luck with your eviction.

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 08-06-2015
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzfrangle View Post
The snake skin was on top of the axle intertwined with all the stuff up there that's why it came out in many pieces.

And to clarify- the compartment with the snake poo is the compartment that the water tank is in, basically the bed frame. Not a outside compartment.

I did set off two Raid Fumigator fog bombs inside the bus as soon as I got it home in my attempt to address the other creepy crawlers from Texas (scorpions, black widows, tarantulas, centipedes, etc.)

I like to think it moved on from inside the bus but can't help but ponder that once it found its way inside it couldn't find the exit. Kinda like the birds that fly into my office.

Maybe this is why we haven't found any mice in the bus.
Like the doc said, unless there are mice etc. there are probably no snakes "still" inside the bus. Having said that, there are upper and lower gutter ways behind the cabinetry all the way from the front couch to the water heater in the back corner and then yet across the back, behind the tub all the way forward to the transfer switch just inside the door Mice love to get in the upper gutter (which runs full circle around the inside) and chew up things like wires. I would open up as much at floor level as possible just to be sure. Behind the kitchen cabinetry (lower) and behind the tub would be the worst...

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 08-06-2015

No offense, but I have my doubts about a critter control guy from Michigan having accurate info about a Texas snake.

Take the skin and droppings to someone who can identify it. If it turns out to be a Texas bull snake instead of a rattler it might ease your mind. Also consider that a mouse might have brought the dropping in from outside.