Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-07-2020

Default Must have parts for the road

After searching many threads I have yet to locate one containing a list of emergency road repair parts besides the obvious belts, hoses, fluids, spare bags, fuses, wire etc, there seems to be subject specific things, but very limited otherwise.
After reading a thread the other day about a coach loosing air and the fix was a $32.00 part, I got to thinking that it would be helpful to have a "must have", or wish list of emergency road repair parts that could save a tow or someone being stranded.

Since most bird owners are pretty handy it only makes sense that we could have a list under "specific issues" unique to each coach so that common and maybe not so common issues that can be addressed while traveling can be handled, or used to help another owner in the event of a mechanical failure.

While I know that you could easily fill a bay, and you cannot possibly have everything, I would rather have a grand in spare parts at my disposal and never need them than shell out the cost of a tow, inflated parts cost ,emergency repair service and possibly a ruined trip, that may have been avoidable. Chance favors the prepared mind!

Any thoughts? or am I kicking a dead horse?
Old 03-07-2020

I carry a front and rear air bag, HCV's, CAT water pump, power steering pump and some filters
Cape Cod,ma
Old 03-07-2020

That is what I'm talking about, but maybe we can have an FC specific, An SP, LX-LXi etc.
We could make a list under each bus type and people that have resolved issues or wished they had that part handy when it was needed could contribute ,so that others could start stocking their coach if they wished. I think it was great that we have a "must have" tools section, so along those lines?
Old 03-07-2020

I generally try to replace those $32 parts prior to going on a trip. I keep very few spare parts on board. A water pump? Why not just replace it if you think it will fail? Would a person change a water pump in a campground? Carry the air bags... those could blow out due to exhaust or road debris. Extra electric fuel pump perhaps. Belts... maybe.

Do your predictive and preventative maintenance at home is my advice. Carry the rare items that have some likelihood of failing for reasons other than age.
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)
Old 03-07-2020

Like Jeff said you should change parts at home. Never travel when you know something is due to be changed. A $50 part and your free labor can turn into many hundreds plus an expensive tow! If your rad hoses are old and dried out change them. If the belts are old but still good install new ones and keep the old as a spare. There are things you cannot predict they might fail. Can you imagine swinging the rad to change a hose or belt on the side of the road? What about all the leaking AF. These days AF is a hazardous material. You cannot drain it on the ground on the side of the road. For sure not in a CG. When we had our FC I did carry a collapsible 5 gallon plastic container in case I had to drain the rad. We were travelling in Mexico and did carry a lot of ordinary parts as they might be rare in Mexico. In the USA NAPA is just around the corner. Having road service is a must to avoid a $1000 or more tow bill. One should also have a good selection of tools. Especially things for electrical repairs.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 03-07-2020

Ride height control valve....ask me how I know.....

Lee County, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 03-07-2020

I kept the two best air bags, one front and one rear when I had all mine replaced. I have a new water pump, and starter. I just got a new alternator. Carry a plug kit for the tires and a radiator hose patch kit. Airline for the tires. Lots of fuses and circuit beakers. Lots of tools and safety gear. And three different road plans. Now I just have to go someplace. Hopefully by summer for a few months like we plan. Wife has to get better. At least I can work on the bird house. It is tight, but I am putting up shelving, cabinets like crazy and hanging tons of stuff up on block and tackle (bikes, canoes) since it so tall. Making tons of room in the house.

EDIT: forgot the spare lamps and headlights. In the EU (whats left of it) the cops give you 15 mins to fix your bad lights or it's a ticket. So all the cars come with a rather robust repair kit.

And I do keep one credit card that would get us an engine, transmission etc. I just have to go back to work PDQ if that happens :-(
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835

Last edited by ChrisRasman; 03-08-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2020
Administrator

There are many old threads, over the last years that have recommendations for tools and parts to carry.
It is always good to revisit these topics, as our needs change, and our knowledge and skill level increases.
Old 03-07-2020

An up to date credit card, plus cash.
Riveted
Old 03-07-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujimo View Post
An up to date credit card, plus cash.
That is the handiest tool of all.