Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 04-11-2011

Default Anti-Skid Braking System --Blue Bird Issue Found

The ABS warning light was disconnected some time in the past because it stays on. Three outfits couldn't find the problem, but believed the system was working.

Johnny Anderson at Parliament said he thought he knew the cause. In 20 minutes he had it fixed. I have never had a smaller maintenance bill. $34.75. That is one for the record books and great appreciation for Johnny.

Johnny said he has made that fix on about 800 coaches so far, around 1995 and later. He said Blue Bird had three or four relays in that light circuit, and one of them was one too many. After checking out the system parts and resetting it, he removed the relay in the rear starter switch box labeled "(ABS) MC-11 LIGHT", and presto, it all worked as it was supposed to.

If your ABS light does not light when you turn the key, it has probably been disconnected at the back of the light. It may have come from the factory like this, dunno. After you start the bus, that light is supposed to stay lit until you get the bus up to about 8 mph, when it goes out if all is working properly.

I'll bet there are a few out there with the same problem.

That is one for the record books. Now I have finished fixing/solving all the problems on this bus. Everything works perfectly. It took two years. What a great feeling to have everything done! ...I wonder how long that will last on our drive back north (starting this Sunday). I am enjoying the moment.
Old 04-11-2011

My ABS light is on intermittantly without any detectable fault codes reported. Johnny thought it could have been the tag axle sensor circuit which isn't used in the M380. Thanks for the lead, I'll check to see how many relays I have in my ABS circuit.
Old 04-12-2011

Ron,

You have just Won the Zero Defects Award! Now you need to start with an older Bird to increase the challenge. Let me know when you are ready and I will trade birds with you just to help you out.

I hope you and Dorinda enjoy the trip.

Glenn
Old 04-12-2011

Default Good work

Ron,
With all your bus problems fixed, what will you do with your time now?

I could leave a to do list on the door of my barn for when you get bored.

Have a safe and relaxing trip North!!!
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 04-12-2011

Ron

Wait 10 minutes and we will be able to take that award away.

One thing about a Blue Bird, just when you think you have everything fixed, it will show you.

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 04-12-2011

Yeah, I'm reluctant to start the engine.... The old girl (the bus, that is) knows the best time for a surprise. I have tempted fate. Do you think positive thinking will help?
Old 04-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGster View Post
Ron,

You have just Won the Zero Defects Award! Now you need to start with an older Bird to increase the challenge. Let me know when you are ready and I will trade birds with you just to help you out.

I hope you and Dorinda enjoy the trip.

Glenn
Hey Glenn, nice to hear from you. Did you ever get the bulk oiler installed? Best to your Dad.

Hope to see you at RATS later this year.
Old 04-12-2011
pgchd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Yeah, I'm reluctant to start the engine.... The old girl (the bus, that is) knows the best time for a surprise. I have tempted fate. Do you think positive thinking will help?
Hi Ron,
Hummm, well that all depends(and not diapers)! Like any "love of our lives" I think the key question is "did you spend enough money on her/him to make them feel loved this year? If not, get ready and open up your wallet again on your way home!!!!!!
After all these years I've renamed my coach, being a childhood fan of Clint Eastwood's "spaghetti westerns" and looking at my spreadsheet for the last 7 years I've decided the new name is "Fist full of Dollars"!!!!!! Now I need to get the decal made!
Have a safe trip home, regards to Dorinda and if you truly have met the zero defect criteria, then its time for the next step / phase in your "love affair" with Bluebirds............ sell her and buy another "challenge" and start over!

PS, thanks for the tip, I "think" my ABS bulb is pulled out, I need to double check...it may be ABS or that is working correctly and the system "test" one is missing....... I can't remember.....a benefit of "old age"!

Last edited by pgchd; 04-12-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-12-2011

Design and build the ultimate horse trailer, this should keep you occupied and out of trouble.

Just a suggestion from a friend.
Old 04-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgchd View Post
Hi Ron,
and if you truly have met the zero defect criteria, then its time for the next step / phase in your "love affair" with Bluebirds............ sell her and buy another "challenge" and start over!
Hi, Pete,

Actually I'd like to do that, just to keep me busy. But people buy price, not total cost, and I doubt anyone would put value on $32,000 in repairs and parts and 2,000 hours of loving labor, even if they do not have the time to do it themselves. A turnkey coach is always what people think they are buying, but rarely encounter. I thought this one was; it was in very good condition.

Jim,
Uh, the horse trailer is Dorinda's dream, ...my nightmare. Let's keep the attention on the birds. She loves them both. Don't encourage her.