Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 09-28-2010
Gardner

Default flaming AC unit

My center Cruisair stopped working. I discovered the start capacitor for the compressor had blown out. Hopeing this would be a simple fix, I purchased a new capacitor while in Saint Louis. I installed it tonight and 'fired' the unit up, I went outside to listen for the compressor to start, but instead there were flames shooting out of the bakelite control module. I ran back inside and shut it down. Flames are out and things are cooled down now. Too bad, I had hoped for a cheap fix.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-28-2010

glad you got it out
drop in a roof air, plug it in, you'll be happy- like me
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 09-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
My center Cruisair stopped working. I discovered the start capacitor for the compressor had blown out. Hopeing this would be a simple fix, I purchased a new capacitor while in Saint Louis. I installed it tonight and 'fired' the unit up, I went outside to listen for the compressor to start, but instead there were flames shooting out of the bakelite control module. I ran back inside and shut it down. Flames are out and things are cooled down now. Too bad, I had hoped for a cheap fix.
You sure have had a time with those AC units. Perhaps the weather will help by staying cool until you figure out your next move.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-28-2010
Gardner

I really think Ernie is right, put in a roof air and forget about it. I can use the old condenser space for storage, and regain the lower part of one closet as well. The front Cruisair works, and if the center roof AC one is noisier, I think I can handle it. Maybe a RATS project????

I think a 15K unit would be just the ticket. Anybody have a favorite?
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-28-2010

When I put my roof airs on to help/supplement/replace the Crusiairs, I wished I spent the money and went with the 15,000 units. True, my 13.5 are ok, but when you have theheat we have in the south, I'd rather turn the unit down then ask myself- do I need another unit? As for a RATS project-- hope someone has a forklift. I pushed the roof air up on a ladder and almost lost it. Those babies are heavy. Ernie- Austintown, Oh- with the kitchen HEATER on- no lie
Old 09-28-2010

Gardner, If you could pick up the unit now, we could set it on the roof with my tractor. You might call Cowlaws if a good used unit will do. When I was up there a month or so ago they had several late model coachs in salvage and several AC units setting around. Additionally there is a Camping World just east of Springfield on I44. Just a thought.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-28-2010

Beyerly RV Center off I-44 west At the First eureka exit is hwy 109 has everything you could ever want. Turn first right then first right again past schnucks grocery to end. I think its 5th street. They have a dump station and propane as well. Boondock at roads end till they open in AM. Very Safe

15 minutes West out of St Louis. If you go..... look across Highway 44 just before the exit and you might see my BB at the lighthouse RV storage place, color is brown n' cream. Same exit as the Highway 66 Park.

Last edited by Christian; 09-28-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2010
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Ekberg View Post
As for a RATS project-- hope someone has a forklift. I pushed the roof air up on a ladder and almost lost it. Those babies are heavy.
I put a 15K BTU in my SOB last year. It was only $25 more (they were on sale at a local RV place) than the 13.5K BTU unit. It was a really nice upgrade. BTW, I stood in the bed of my pickup and pushed it up on the roof. Yeah, it was heavy. I almost didn't get it up there. The bad part was that once you are committed to pushing it up on the roof like I did, there was no turning back. I almost paid for that mistake. Fortunately, I got it up on the roof.
Marietta, GA
Old 09-28-2010
Gardner

OK, I assume the roof braces are where the trim strips snap in, so any space in between is fair game for cutting the hole. I also assume there may be some wires in that space, so I need to be prepared to do some adjustments to them. I am looking at the roof segment just aft of the bathroom door (side bath). Does the roof air need to be dead center, or can it be to one side a few inches?
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-29-2010

Gardner, you can drop that in where there is a roof vent. They are the samesize. I snaked my electric line thru the roof panel and plugged it into the outlet that powers my antenna. It can be installed off center