Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 08-22-2011

Default 50 amp breaker tripping

I took the coach to Pacific Power, formerly Detroit Diesel) because the fan clutch sensor did not seem to be working and 120 voltage on one leg seemed low (109 was showing on the Xanrex panel and the dial guage looked about the same). A friend (who is an electrician) provides mobile communications for the Ride For Life plugged his com trailer into the outside outlet to charge hte batteries in the trailer. It didn't work so he checked hte voltage and said it was too low.

They 'checked' the generator, said everything was within specs but were able to get the voltage up to about 113. When they checked the fan clutch sensor (after they finally found it) they said it was working and hte fan was coming on when it should. The reason I thought the sensor was not working was that unless I turned hte fan on wirth hrte manual override switch hte coach overheats very quickly. With the fan turned on the temps seem to stay down.

They then told me that there was a problem with the water temp guage. It was pegged. I took a look at it and it was pegged at about 4 or 5 o'clock position (it had never done this before).

When I went over again to check on hte coach the batteries were totally dead. They had the coach polugged into a 120 outlet and the breaker had tripped.

They called later to say that they plugged into a higher rated circuit and hte batteries charged up O.K. Today I went to check what was happening and found it unplugged and dead. The 50 amp cord was unplugged. When they plugged it in the breaker tripped instantly. I tried unplugging hte coach and resetting hte breaker. The breaker reset O.K. and tripped when I started to plug hte coach back in.

Not being a great believer in coincidences, I would bet that someting they did has created some kind of short even though they don't think htey did anything that would affect the 240 system.

Any ideas as to what they might have done would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-22-2011

Suggestions:

Switch off all the breakers in the coach load center, make sure the AC's are off; then plug in the 50amp shore power cable. If the 50 amp breaker does not trip, start switching the coach breakers on one at a time to identify the faulty circuit.

If the 50 amp breaker trips as soon as you plug it in with the coach breakers off, then you have something crossed or a bad shore cable.

Another possible problem is the 50 amp breaker.

As always, you must be very careful working with energized circuits.
Old 08-23-2011

Could this be a GFI protected circuit/circuit breaker?

The reason I ask is many/most newer shops and homes now have GFI protected circuits. My local Cummins Shop has all the circuits protected by GFI breakers and my coach cannot be plugged into them as it trips the circuit.

My 50 amp plug at home is not a GFI protected outlet.

Not saying this is the problem but it may be an issue.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 08-23-2011

Brad,

You could be right. I hadn't thought about the 50 a. service being gfi, but it probably is. We put in a non GFI 50 a. ciecuit because it trips hte GFI 120 circuits.