Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-23-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERay View Post
I am presently at about 5800 ft above sea level and my aqua hot is running VERY rich... blows black smoke... it did this a little a few hundred ft above SL... has anyone experienced this... any solutions

thanks in advance for your response

OK, we have had enough fun at the expense of his problem, now it's time to get back to being serious!

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-23-2010
Forum owner

Heres what needs to be done to Eddys aquahot.
The little window is dirty in the burner area,the burned needs to come off and the window cleaned.

Eddy,I'm not sure how handy you are,its not a bad job,Rob and I cleaned his window in less than an hour.
You will need a philps screwdriver and a 10MM socket and a 12'' extension and a ratchet,and a Q-tip.
Or,just let it smoke!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-23-2010

Eddie
I just pm'd you
Old 02-24-2010
Former Bird Owner

Bus Conversions magazine ran a great article on servicing an AquaHot back in 2005 or 2006. Unfortunately, their back issues aren't cataloged by content online. You'd have to contact the publisher (a recent new owner) to find out which issue to get.

See http://www.busconversions.com

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 02-24-2010

Eddie
As Ryan said at high altitude you don't have as much atmospheric pressure and you probably will need to give it more air. Letting it run rich will carbon up the heat exchanger and will restrict the air flow even more and can cause the burner to over heat. We use ours up to 10000 feet but have to give it all the air it can get.Call me if I can walk you though this,I'd be more than glad to help. I spent a few hrs. with a Wabasto distributer and service center learning to service them.620 276 1413
Old 02-25-2010
Former Bird Owner

There's been several good suggestions. I note that I used my AH up to 8500 feet without any visible smoke -- if your unit hasn't had a service recently, it could simply be that the spray nozzle is worn, allowing too much fuel to pass through.

The simple solution is to make sure that the air intake holes (inside the bay with the AH) aren't blocked by other items. There are a series of holes around the lower edge of the removable part of the case. On newer coaches, there may be an air intake passing up from underneath (that's what a tech once said to me). If so, that needs to be check to ensure no blockage.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 11-01-2011

I just came upon this posting and I imagine ER has solved his problem by now. Although altitude may affect mixture I haven't noticed any smoke problems at 3 to 4k feet. When I had black smoke it was the nozzle. These have very small orifices and should be changed annually (at least). When they plug up the fuel does not atomize properly, collects in the burn chamber and can burn out the heater. Because of this I consider black smoke a serious problem that should be resolved before continuing to use the heater.