Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 11-01-2011
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Ross,
After I put in a Proheat, I took out the kitchen Propane heater and extended the lower draw in the cabnet down so I now have a big draw for pots and pans, etc. I kept the original heater panel and used that to cover the lower part of the draw. It looks original, but no heater.
Gardner I don't know how this got by me back when you posted it but wow how ingenious! I am kicking myself again this year that I didn't get out and look at other coaches at the rally. What you have here is a good example of why your coach was high on my list of coaches I really wanted to look at. You have done some really neat things and I like to see such cool ideas.

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 11-01-2011
Gardner

The last time I fired up the Proheat is started backfiring and pushing out lots of white smoke. I was at 8000 feet, but other threads say that shouldn't be a problem. It could be a fuel supply issue but I will wait till we get home to troubleshoot it. I don't want to get into something I can't finish while on the road. The two remaining propane heaters can handle the task for now.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-31-2012

Paul's number is a bit low. Our Webasto Scholastic has a .35 (I am going by memory here, it could be .34 or .37 or so, the nozzles are labeled so you can check yours). A .35 nozzle burns at a rate of .35 gallons per hour, when it is burning. That comes out to a bit more than a gallon every 3 hours.

The burn cycle of the heater is, of course, determined by temperature, etc. If the Webasto burns half of the time it will use about a gallon every 6 hours. I thought I could avoid having to dump and blow out the water lines every time we went out in winter by keeping the Webasto on. That idea lasted less then a month when we went through a tank of fuel in less than three weeks.
Old 03-31-2012
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
The last time I fired up the Proheat is started backfiring and pushing out lots of white smoke. I was at 8000 feet, but other threads say that shouldn't be a problem. It could be a fuel supply issue but I will wait till we get home to troubleshoot it. I don't want to get into something I can't finish while on the road. The two remaining propane heaters can handle the task for now.
I fired up the Proheat a few weeks ago and it ran perfectly. What ever the problem was back in Yellowstone at 8000 feet it is not present here in New Jersey.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-31-2012

The Webasto gets a real workout with us. As a consequence I have learned a few things. One is to check hte breakers or fuses on top of hte unit when it won't fire up. There is a black box on top ofhte Scholastic. There are three sensors or fuses in it. One turns off hte burner when hte coolant gets hot enough, that's hte cheap one. One that is on hte right side of hte 'block' as I look at hte unit in hte bay is a high temp fuse ifh te chamber gets too hot (such as when no coolant flows to the heater). This is a wax fuse, not a breaker. when it blows it must be replaced ($95 here). If you blow one of these take the old one and make a jumper out of it with a piece of wire. That way, in a pinch, if you blow it out when you are camping in hte boonies at 20 below you can make sure hte coolant is restored and jump the circuit to get some heat.

If anyone is interested when things warm up a bit I can show what I am trying to describe with some photos.
Old 10-31-2013

I was wondering where is the best place to mount one of these a proheat or webatso, did everyone do the install themselves or take it to a shop ?

Does it require you to drain all your coolent to install or can you close off a loop ?
Old 10-31-2013
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
I was wondering where is the best place to mount one of these a proheat or webatso, did everyone do the install themselves or take it to a shop ?

Does it require you to drain all your coolent to install or can you close off a loop ?
There should be a few turn valves up front of the engine behind the bumper. A creeper and a look straight up... at least that is where there are on an '83FC

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 11-01-2013

Default Best place for Webasto

We have the Webasto in the 'water bay.' In winter it keeps the water pump, and supply lines etc., from freezing. Even at -30f the water did not freeze when we were in Destruction Bay one winter.

When we work on anything with coolant going to it we clamp off the coolant lines with ratcheting clamps ( available at Lowe's, Home Desperate etc.).
Old 11-01-2013

I have a Webasto that I bought off e-bay a few years ago. It's not a new model, but is brand new, never used. I'm probably never going to get around to installing it. It's for sale if any bodies interested.
Westchester Sandblast
Old 11-01-2013
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post

Kiki,

We installed a Wabasto Thermo 90 Series in back corner of the drive side rear compartment. Did not have to drain any coolant.. used pinch off pliers. Put in the loop just ahead of the Aux pump and wired the pump to come on when the Wabesto comes to temp. There is an aux fuse port on the Wabasto so we used that to power the Aux pump. Put diode on the pump circuit so it does not feed back to the dash switch and that function remains the same. Did this circa 2008 and its been a nice addition. Fire it up monthly and let it run for about 30 min. No issues so far. Recommend you use ss flex for the exhaust the other stuff only lasts a couple years. As far as do it yourself? depends on how handy you are. I had a mechanic friend onboard in the driveway.

You might want to read this thread

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ead.php?t=4834

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898