Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-18-2015

Unhappy Transmission will not shift into Drive

When attempting to shift into drive, the transmission will not engage and the "6" just flashes. The jacks are up and the green "travel"light is on; also the slide is in and locks engaged. Is there a by pass switch which would enable me to drive?
I have a 2003 M380.
Old 02-18-2015

Lee,

The only interlock That I am aware of that would keep the transmission from shifting out of neutral is the slide. If it is the problem, it can be bypassed by cutting the purple wire #1810D in the compartment below the drivers window. Some coaches have a disconnect installed in that wire. Before trying that however, I would cycle the slide again to make sure it is fully retracted. Sorry I don't have anything else to try.
Old 02-18-2015

Default Transmission Will Not Shift

Thanks, Jim.
You were right on target. I removed the purple wire from the Side Relay and was able to shift into drive. I'm not sure but I believe the HWH jacks also have a lockout if they are not retracted. Possibly that lockout also goes through the same relay . . . ????
Thanks for you help!
Old 02-20-2015

I experienced the same transmission problem on my first M380 trip. The slide was in and the jacks were up. I don't recall the code. I phoned an Allison Service Center and they weren't able to offer any suggestions at the time other than sending a tech who was hours away. In a desperate attempt to avoid hours or days of delays, I isolated all the DC power using the battery disconnects and waited a few minutes. When I restored DC power the transmission shifted into reverse and drive without problems. The next day I met with Johnny Anderson who shared the purple wire secret.
Old 02-21-2015

Lee:

My 2004 M380 did not have HWH jacks, they were BigFoot and I thought all M380 had BigFoot jacks. The jacks on my coach did not have a transmission lockout if they were extended. I always thought they should have but they did not.

Amateur Radio - KG7V

Last edited by marvjeanm380; 02-21-2015 at 11:34 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 02-21-2015

We had trouble with ours not going into gear, when we first got our M380. We tried the purple wire deal several times, shutting the engine off several times, running the slide in and out..... By the time we got ready to start the coach back up, several minutes had elapsed. Most of the time we would be able to drive off.... Finally it quit and would not go into gear, even after 1/2 hour of working on it. We found a Bosch relay in the chassie fuse box, in the air compressor bay, under the driver's window. It was labled Shift Inhibitor, Top left. Replaced this and have never had a reoccurance in 4 years. think it was overheating and would cool down by the time we tried all the other "fixes" and would be able to drive off. Hope this helps
Missouri