Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-17-2015

Default Help..HWH jacks will not extend

I have just reinforced the premise that a wrench in my hand is detrimental to my bird.

Read, why read instructions? Boldly go where you have not been. I did and I paid with a big mess to clean up.

I got my jack back from being rebuilt. The guy said I will install it for you. We installed it. He nor I had ever installed a jack before, and it showed. It will not extend.

I call Randy and he asks if I checked the reservoir. Of course I had not. I find the tank and it is empty. I buy a case of AT fluid and start pouring. I quit when it registered full. I try to extend the Jack and no luck, so I hit the retract button. Then the reservoir erupts and I have fluid every where and a big mess. I pull the coach out and I clean up. I called for my wife to help. She took one look and without a word, she left. You need to check to see if the jacks are retracted before you fill your tank.

Now I try and try and all jacks work except this one. I then call John W. He thinks I may have an electrical or connection issue. I look as best a fat and immobil boy can, but I can not tell.

I notice that when I attempt to drive the coach, the HWH pad is showing the jack that we installed is showing that it is extended and the very bottom warning light is on with the buzzer buzzing.

What have I done wrong and how can I tell?

I want to thank Randy and John for their assistance. They helped a lot. It is difficult to diagnose something from afar. What both told me is correct.

Could I have reversed some wires as was suggested? Is it that simple?

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 12-17-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmar View Post
I have just reinforced the premise that a wrench in my hand is detrimental to my bird.

I notice that when I attempt to drive the coach, the HWH pad is showing the jack that we installed is showing that it is extended and the very bottom warning light is on with the buzzer buzzing.

What have I done wrong and how can I tell?
I want to thank Randy and John for their assistance. They helped a lot. It is difficult to diagnose something from afar. What both told me is correct.
Could I have reversed some wires as was suggested? Is it that simple?
If I am not mistaken there is only one wire to the jack. (It is so on my coach). It completes he ground circuit within the jack housing which turns on/off the indicator light & most likely the buzzer. It is entirely possible the rebuilder did not replace this tricky little spring loaded mechanism correctly. When the jack retracts the inner piston contacts and bends this spring, opening the circuit (by disconnecting the ground)
I don't believe that is happening
Then again, what duzzino
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 12-17-2015

If not mistaken the Bragdon Coach has two wires on each piston. When we removed them there was a large bundle of wires at the top of each jack. There was enough wire to reverse the connections. not sure how Mark knew which went where. There is a connection at the top of the jack and one near the bottom along the side.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-17-2015

Default You maybe right

There is one wire that connects to the Jack. However, there appears to be two wires that connect to this one wire.

Thanks my friend. Also, thanks for helping Charlie McKeenan. He really appreciated you insight and help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	39518  

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 12-17-2015

Thanks Rick. In the picture, I think they could be reversed where the two wires become one. It seems like a smart engineer would have changed each plug so that this could not happen.

Thank my friend

Stop by this spring or winter

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 12-17-2015

I don't think you can plug that connector together incorrectly. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 12-17-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvjeanm380 View Post
I don't think you can plug that connector together incorrectly. I could be wrong but I don't think so.
I tend to agree with Marv. Plug should only go one way. I would run Jacks up and down several times and see if possible air intrusion could be purged. If not, I would lean towards a problem with the jack rebuild as KC. Suggested .
Old 12-18-2015
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Hi Richard,

I’m not sure about a 93 WB but some models have a “travel warning switch” and a “pressure switch” on each leveling jack.

I would take a close look at a “working” leveling jack to see if it has one switch or two switches and to see how it’s wired. That may give you a clue as to what’s wrong with your non-working jack.

Be careful under there!
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 12-18-2015

Smile

I just printed out the manual and it appears to be 1 of 3 things.

1. Warning switch bad.

2. If replacing the warning switch does not correct, then the magnet in the jack is bad.

3. The wire to the jack warning switch is shorted to ground.

We unplugged the wires at the jack and now the travel light comes on and the Jack down light is out along with the level warning dash light and the buzzer is off. With the wires unplugged, the jack will not operate, but now I can drive it without that buzzer buzzing.

Thanks for the help. I will get this thing solved in the near future. Now I have another reason to go to the Clearwater rally. However, that will be cutting it close. I am not suppose to drive for at least 2 weeks after my hip replacement.

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 12-18-2015

I'm having a similar problem. Left rear jack would only go down halfway. Sometimes works. Manual extension not working consistently. The manual says this fault is due to bad pressure switch. Had Parliament get pressure switch and install today. Jacks worked great. Back to the park, still the same old problem.

Next? Red the manual again and look for the next cause. I think it is a bad valve somewhere as I was able to get it to move manually, but only very, very, very slowly whild the pump was singing away.