Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs

Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs Owning a Blue Bird isn't cheap. Questions or suggestions on how to handle these costs are discussed in this forum.

Site Search:

Old 01-28-2016

Default Coach Insurance

Can someone direct me to an insurance company that will give true value for my coach? I have completely been through it with new generator, upholstery, interior, water lines and fixtures, paint job, etc and my company says $22,000 max. I have an 81FC 35'er
Old 01-28-2016
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Here is a thread for you to read Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs > Agreed Insurance Value Policies... this is my post from that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I had John McGinnis do an appraisal on my 1982 FC35RB Wanderlodge and the Enclosed Autocarrier trailer that I always pull, which I was highly satisfied with and was hoping to get an Agreed Value Insurance Policy and I kept on running into problems due to my 'Bird being older than 25 years old. I even tried the insurance company that I have my 'Bird insured with currently as they are one of the largest and they do a lot of advertising on the TV and in print and which I had read here on the forum has written Agreed Value Insurance policies for other members, only to find out that they would not write a similar policy here in South Carolina, needless to say I was getting very frustrated.

I decided to give a call to Blue Sky RV Insurance and I was lucky enough to talk with Eric Rautins and we had a lengthy conversation about Blue Bird Wanderlodges and the quality of construction, he even took the time to look over the WOG forum to see how active our members are and how many members we had, we then took a look at my photo web site so that I could show and explain to him how much work I have put into restoring and updating my 'Bird. I also told him that I felt that they were missing the boat, by not including our older than 25 years old Wanderlodge's on their insurable list.

Eric told me that he would have to talk it over with his partner and would get back to me by email later that day and when I got the email it was great news, he included an Agreed Value Insurance quote for both my 'Bird and trailer at the appraised price that John McGinnis had appraised as a pair and to my surprise this quote was for more insurance than I presently had and for LESS MONEY, needless to say I accepted and paid for the new policy and now Blue Sky RV Insurance will be my insurer when my present policy runs out on June 26. He also informed me that Blue Sky would now look at Wanderlodge models as far back as 1970 but reserve the right to decline for underwriting reasons based upon their condition.

So if you are looking for Insurance for your 'Bird, give Blue Sky RV Insurance a chance, just go to their website at http://www.blueskyrvinsurance.com and click on the Request a RV Insurance Quote link.

Don't forget if you are going to request an Agreed Value Insurance you will need an appraisal and we have one of the best appraiser's of 'Birds right there on the WOG, check out Protect Your RV Investment. Have it Appraised!

You can also find them in our Vendors and Insurance sub-forums.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-28-2016

Thank you for the response! I will definitely check the quote and it sounds like I need to get an appraisal too. I might not want to know the value compared to the investment
Old 01-28-2016
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Get John McGinnis to do the appraisal. He will tell you what is it worth and be honest. Agreed value is an extra charge, but minimal.
I have Blue Sky, not had a claim, guess it is all right, about $700 for $75K agreed value. State farm was charging $1700 for the same coverage.
I just got a quote from Framers and it was about like Blue Sky, and I trust them a lot more, course they are getting lots more to insure, but that did not sway State Farm. Course state farm is loosing much of my business and I have been with them for well over 40 years.
Point is, you need to check around.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 01-28-2016

Steve, I'm not going to get into what insurance company is better than the next. There are so many variables that there really is no way to compare them properly. One thing I found out from personal experience is this. Your location where you live or store the coach is a big factor in the cost. I say that because, when I lived in the metropolitan Indianapolis area I was paying certain amount for my insurance. Then we decided to move to a more rural area and my premiums went up. I was dumbfounded. I thought for sure, that since there was only a 10th of the traffic, or maybe even less, where I currently lived; compared to the metro area, my premiums would go down. Especially since I had had no claims or traffic tickets to make it go up. Not so, said the agent I talked with. They use what they call "experience ratings" to help determine the premiums. So in simple terms, you have 100,000 people in the zip code you just moved from. The company you are with insures 10,000 of those people. Out of the 10,000 insured the company has claims from 1,000. You now move to a zip code that has 1,000 people. The company insures 100 of them. They have claims from 25 of them. So because the first zip code has a 10% experience rating vs. a 25% experience rating of your current zip code you premiums will go up to reflect that. I would never have known that, if I had not moved and kept the same insurance company. In all my previous moves I used independent agents and some of their products would not be able to move with me, so I always ended up shopping for new coverage.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 01-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Steve, I'm not going to get into what insurance company is better than the next. There are so many variables that there really is no way to compare them properly. One thing I found out from personal experience is this. Your location where you live or store the coach is a big factor in the cost. I say that because, when I lived in the metropolitan Indianapolis area I was paying certain amount for my insurance. Then we decided to move to a more rural area and my premiums went up. I was dumbfounded. I thought for sure, that since there was only a 10th of the traffic, or maybe even less, where I currently lived; compared to the metro area, my premiums would go down. Especially since I had had no claims or traffic tickets to make it go up. Not so, said the agent I talked with. They use what they call "experience ratings" to help determine the premiums. So in simple terms, you have 100,000 people in the zip code you just moved from. The company you are with insures 10,000 of those people. Out of the 10,000 insured the company has claims from 1,000. You now move to a zip code that has 1,000 people. The company insures 100 of them. They have claims from 25 of them. So because the first zip code has a 10% experience rating vs. a 25% experience rating of your current zip code you premiums will go up to reflect that. I would never have known that, if I had not moved and kept the same insurance company. In all my previous moves I used independent agents and some of their products would not be able to move with me, so I always ended up shopping for new coverage.

Very interesting.....
Old 01-29-2016

Year one - Blue Sky was the best price at half what USAA's "Progressive" substitute was. Year two - BS's price nearly DOUBLED for exactly the same non-Agreed Value coverage . Neither policy was AV because they both said it is not available in Texas. What they meant to say is they are not authorized to provide AV in Texas. At Q I had John Maginnis do an appraisal on my coach. He said there are several carriers who can do Texas AV policies. Once that appraisal is done I'll find one and hopefully for less than BS. Mallie's right, check around. But if you go with BS don't be surprised when they pull a bait & switch and jack you up after the first year.
Old 01-29-2016

We have had Progressive since we got the bird in 03.
It had an agreed value of $55,000 when we bought it for 55k.
Fast forward to 07 when we retired...back to our agent who tells me that Progressive will insure our bird for 55k, BUT will not only give us 18k if we total it out.
They would have kept our rate high, but since our agent said, "Why pay higher premiums and only get 18k coverage?", we dropped our coverage to 18k.
Old 01-29-2016
Timberlake Products Group

FWIW?

Quote: The Blue Sky RV Insurance program is currently not available for vehicles registered in the following states: AL, AK, CT, DE, FL, HI, KY, MA, MD, ME, MS, NH, NY, RI, VT and WY.

Farmers online system didn't recognize my FC VIN#

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 01-29-2016

Everyone needs to understand the difference between Actual Cash Value and Agreed Value. If you have an ACV policy, your real coverage could be allot less than you think. John Macginnis explains it in this post: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...t=10362&page=8. As I said in post #87: "With an ACV policy everything is designed to give the appearance of protection but the reality may be quite different. And that's why I'm going to search out a Texas AV policy provider.