Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 12-30-2017

Question Information/advice requested

Hi all - I've been scoping out the WOG site for the last few months after seeing an FC35...never knew BB's existed prior to that, and was pretty impressed by them. I'm looking to possibly purchase a class A in 2018, but I have a question that I'm hoping the WOG community can help me with: should I look to purchase a well cared for bird without having the ability (now or future!) to do any of the wrenching myself? I've seen a couple of prior comments from owners that seem to discourage the purchase of one if you're not able to do at least some of the work yourself. I have a good diesel/rv shop nearby that is familiar with the BB busses, but if it's more than likely that multiple trips will be needed to that shop per year, maybe I should consider SOB instead... so, to BB or not to BB, that is the question !!

1988 PT36 SOLD
Old 12-30-2017
Beemer Tourer

Default $.25 Worth

Given the quality control of most SOBs' and the known quality of the Wanderlodge, my choice was to go with the Wanderlodge.
I have many local friends in the RV community and I know that even the new ones spend far more time per usage in the repair shops than our older buses. A lot of the SOBs' are under warranty and spend far too much down time in the shop. It appears to me then that regardless of age or brand, if you cannot do it yourself, a friendly, trustworthy shop will be to your great advantage. You just have to decide which brand might have less down-time. I believe a well sorted and cared for Wanderlodge will give far more satisfaction than most SOBs'. That is only my opinion but I guess that is what you asked for.
Good Luck on whatever you decide.
Glenn
Old 12-30-2017

I'll give you my $.02 worth. I guess I don't put as high a value on my opinion as Glenn does But maybe he is dealing in Canuk currency and I'm in Uncle Sam's

Anyway, I would opt for the best conditioned bus you can afford but save that much talked about $10K for a major repair or for long term maintenance, whichever comes first. Is it because you aren't experienced that you can't work on a Bird? If so, then you will learn. I did!! If I can work on one of these anyone can. Now does that mean I'm going to tear out an engine or a transmission? NO!!! But I will do routine maintenance like change oil, filters, lube. I have replaced an alternator, all the batteries (X2), installed a new 3012 Xantrex inverter/charger and remote, generator fuel pump and many other items. Like I said if I can anybody can. Now is it because you don't have a place to work on it or some other issue, then I can't help you with that. What I mentioned are frequent required maintenance items, but can be expensive if taken to a shop. You can save a ton of money on doing that stuff yourself. So buy yourself a few tools to put in a toolbox and get to work. Or just put your credit card in your toolbox and let it do the work for you.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 12-30-2017
Beemer Tourer

I have not checked the exchange rates lately but $.25C is probably worth about $.02US.
Old 12-30-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1100lt View Post
I have not checked the exchange rates lately but $.25C is probably worth about $.02US.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 12-30-2017

I'd rather put money in a Bird instead of some fiberglass ice chest that starts dissolving the minute you park it in the sun, imho.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-30-2017

Here’s something to seriously consider. SAFETY!

These vintage Bluebirds are built like tanks. They are built on a school bus chassis with all the School bus safety features and more.

On average, The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported, about 134 people die in school-vehicle(bus type)-related crashes each year. Of those, 8% are riding in the buses. I will take the 92% survival rate in my Bluebird. In one of those sticks and staples RV’s, you are playing Russian Roulette with your family well being.

Kent & Pearl Glover
1985 FC-35RB "Wild and Wanderful"
Tampa, Fl
(813) 454-6347
Email: juballer22@gmail.com
Old 12-30-2017

Robert,

Part of the Wanderlodge wisdom is knowing when to turn the repair over to someone who knows what they are doing. Given that - they are a lot of fun. I tell people that I bring my hobby with me (the bus). If I have an hour to spare then I have something I can work on. It is amazing what you can learn from a little research on youtube!

Yesterday I tore apart the kitchen faucet - then ordered an O ring set and cartridge from Amazon for $30. Something I have never done before but wasn't really a problem.

A couple of weeks ago I tore into the dashboard trying to fix my speedometer. I made a mistake reassembling and caused the bus to become inoperative. A message to WOG and the friendly people here supplied schematics and encouragement that lead me to the cause and got me back on track.

Over the years I have hired out; new radiator, new air compressor, injector pump throttle seals and lots of tires. I have a mechanic that allows me to hang out and watch, which is invaluable.

I think it comes down to attitude more than experience. If keeping a wonderful machine functioning sounds like a good hobby -- go for it!
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 12-30-2017

I don’t think every bird owner is a wrench puller, probably quite a few who drive in to the shop to get work done. If you have money to pay someone to take care of things for you, I don’t think anyone’s(well maybe a few people) going to tell you what to do with your money. If you were planning on getting a new class A and having consistent payments and a warranty to fall back on that’s another economic decision. I’ve talked to one bird owner who has been RVing for years and has had many newer coach’s, he told me he would have been way ahead pocket book wise if he bought a bird years ago, he spent more on the other coaches he owned.
Old 12-31-2017

Thanks all, for taking time to offer good opinions & advice! Although I can't say I'm shocked that BB owners would strongly recommend a bird to a potential new owner I'm glad to see that it still holds true even if that person isn't really mechanically skilled/ doesn't have the space to work on one. . If anyone else would like to offer their .02/.25 cents, I'd def be interested! In the meantime I'll have some thinking/research to do. Happy New Year !

1988 PT36 SOLD