Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-10-2019

cool repair on the road. pays to think outside the box sometimes!
stuart@safcofoam.com
Old 04-10-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOC View Post
Replace one hose with three . Find most serviceable location out side of harsh environments exposure. .(hard to replace and longest) Center hose build is all male JIC because the female jic are the most vulnerable to needing to be replaced. and it is easier to remount a female end over a rigidity mounted male end. the female end has some give and you can feel a thread grab and avoid cross threading.

we did in fact cut the hose into 2 pieces,and we joined them in the top of the pass through bay,we figured it would be easier to fish the front and then the back,and join them in the middle.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-10-2019

I see most hose failure ;close to the fittings, ;where the hose is rigidity mounted to a appliance, and the hose makes a bend. tight bends a foot or more from the end have no issue but bends at the end cause trouble.

Thinking is the rubber on the surface shrinks from environment and age then exposed the cross ply wire. or the plys are constantly fighting each other and just muff.

the new path to the steering appliances needs to consider a way to keep the hose relaxed so it wont bend close to the fitting and peal back the outside protection tucked under the crimp. they make endless angle fittings to allow the designer to make a comfortable connection.
you may also see on loaders that prior to the JIC the hose is clamped down to again help with the fitting in complete or comfortable alignment to the hose and keep the outside jacket from muffing.
Skid steers are nuts with metal angle fittings. I end up marking lines on the fittings and take endless images to try and duplicate the re-fit.

the hose on top of the fan pump where it loops was always a concern for me. I made sure I replaced it with the same ply hose and length and didnt go the typical overboard extra psi and ply rated hose because the tight loop may then need to be longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gates.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	61283  
Old 04-10-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOC View Post
I see most hose failure ;close to the fittings, ;where the hose is rigidity mounted to a appliance, and the hose makes a bend. tight bends a foot or more from the end have no issue but bends at the end cause trouble.

Thinking is the rubber on the surface shrinks from environment and age then exposed the cross ply wire. or the plys are constantly fighting each other and just muff.

the new path to the steering appliances needs to consider a way to keep the hose relaxed so it wont bend close to the fitting and peal back the outside protection tucked under the crimp. they make endless angle fittings to allow the designer to make a comfortable connection.
you may also see on loaders that prior to the JIC the hose is clamped down to again help with the fitting in complete or comfortable alignment to the hose and keep the outside jacket from muffing.
Skid steers are nuts with metal angle fittings. I end up marking lines on the fittings and take endless images to try and duplicate the re-fit.

the hose on top of the fan pump where it loops was always a concern for me. I made sure I replaced it with the same ply hose and length and didnt go the typical overboard extra psi and ply rated hose because the tight loop may then need to be longer.
I think your hose science is dead on.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-10-2019
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I think about 42 feet was the final length.
and we had some slack.
always better to be too long than too short!!
Jim had removed his LPG tank,and the top of that area was open,and he took down the top of the pass through bay and we fished the new hose over the fuel tanks and holding tanks.
Good point...

It may seem counter intuitive but hydraulic hoses tend to get "shorter" under pressure. They can try to shrink 3 or 4 % and pull on the fittings if the hose is too short to allow for the shrinkage.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 04-11-2019

Improvise,adapt,and overcome. What a great story, definitely had talent working on that bus.
Virginia Beach VA
Old 04-11-2019
Forum owner

Let me say this,Jim could have done this roadside repair on his own,he did not need help doing the mechanics.
They had left their toad at my place and had no way to run get parts.
Plus he was at the fuel island at walmart,luckily Sunday mornings are quiet in the bible belt.

And,luck again i have the same coach,so Mark and i figured out what we needed as far as tools and made the custom" LXI hose wrench".
WE had cardboard,shovels,brooms,fluid,funnel and we went to Oreillys on the way to walmart.
Heres a kudu for Oriellys,the hose guy had already clocked out for lunch,he stayed and made the hoses we needed (on his lunch break).

Fishing the new hose could be done alone,but lots of swear words and sweat would be required.
We used PEX tubing to fish in the engine area,and an electrical fish tape through the space about the bays,tying a flat fish rope to the PEX and the fish tape and we fished that through.
we fished the hose from front to middle (10 foot piece) and the rest back to middle.
Once the hose was fished i was on to other things and Jim/Mark finished up the project.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-11-2019
tintent

not so tough when you have a team thinking and working together .when they don t it can be a nightmare
Old 04-11-2019

Randy is being very kind. Jim could have done the repair in his driveway with this shop 30ft away. At the Walmart fuel pump 400 miles from home, the help from his friends was PRICELESS!!!
Old 04-12-2019

Like Greg mentioned.....point of fittings..... mine was routed from the curb side of the block forward a couple feet then one 90 over the trans then another 90 forward. It broke at the mount at the first 90 degree turn. We were able to quick repair it enough to get it to a shop, but the age of the hose demanded replacement.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920