Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 04-29-2019

To find 240 volts you measure current alternating between two hot legs often (black and red) 240 does not require a neural wire (often white).
In a 50 amp plug the two mid outside slits are hot. each has 120 volts of 50 amps. but the two source their power independent so the 50 amp shore cord pumps an avaliable 100 amps. Read the voltage alternating between the two hots and it will be 220 to 240v.
In the lxi genset most of the power produced goes to the transfer switch then to the panel of circuit breakers. The attempt is to balance out the use of amp consumption between the two legs which will minimized the unbalance current that gets to the natural. i believe the engineers chose a 240v blower consumption because the blower motor gets power first and if 120 was used the panel would get more avaliable amps on one side with no way to manage a balance.
Old 04-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Generator puts out 220 volts AC, there are no 220 appliances in a BB except the generator cooling motor. Look at the 120 volt meters at the dash overhead.
They should read the two legs each 120 volts. Verify that the correct capacitor is installed. Someone may have changed it. Look at the generator schematic diagram, to see if there is a convenient place to measure 220 volts AC
My generator is putting out strong voltage on both legs.
I just can not pull the motor out correct? I have to remove the
blower that's mounted on the radiator first to get the motor out.
1989 WB 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
Old 04-29-2019
Administrator

It's been awhile , but I'm thinking to release the shaft, its got to come out as a whole piece.
good news, may not need to mess with or open the cooling system, should come off of the radiator
Old 04-29-2019

not to hijack the thread but I had a similar problem this weekend.
Parked the bus on Thursday in boondock situation. Later that night start the generator and I see the dash volt meter go to 14V on house batt and all good. About 20 minutes or so later the gen shuts off. Upon inspection i see temp gauge at 260F so thats what shut it down. Let it cool off and restart later and notice it charges 14V on the volt meter at first then no charge.
Also, checking outside sometimes the fan works , sometimes not. So, that's how it overheated obviously. I tried the breaker, reset, and switch on the rear side area of the genset and breaker never tripped or reset looking tripped either.
I didn't have time to do much investigtion but my next check is to inspect this capacitor I hear about. Where is that located?
2000 LXi

thank you!
stuart@safcofoam.com
Old 04-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFCO View Post
I didn't have time to do much investigtion but my next check is to inspect this capacitor I hear about. Where is that located?
2000 LXi

thank you!
Look for a junction box with a cover plate on it where the coach 220V meets the fan wiring, probably just jammed in there.
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 99k/22xx hours
1987 FC35 TMU/42xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 04-30-2019

thanks Chip, will do
stuart@safcofoam.com
Old 04-30-2019

Big Al, did you have voltage on both legs of the gauges inside the coach when the fan wasn't running? I just checked mine and it ran for like 5 minutes, power both legs and fan running. At about 5 minutes no power on either leg! Of course fan off then too.

Stopped looking right then, only had a few minutes. Just adding my info as I get it, hopefully your having better luck then me!
stuart@safcofoam.com
Old 04-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
My generator is putting out strong voltage on both legs.
I just can not pull the motor out correct? I have to remove the
blower that's mounted on the radiator first to get the motor out.
Gen Output is one thing. What is getting to the motor is another. even if a motor can run on 120v or 240 volts it must be wired via the different wires often displayed on the face plate. The motor is fused some place. You need to find out what the motor sees when it stops. You determined that the bus panel sees two legs of 120 v each so the issue is not the generator. One way to put the blower motor health to the test is an inframe bench test. 1-Disconnect the genset to blower motor 240 power...... 2- cap the genset output ... 3- power the motor with shore-shop240.v North of the compacitor and other inline stuff. If it runs continual, , your issue is north of that. Could be the a fuse of the output to the blower. ? ?or some issue with the silent box cooling fan dropping power? If during the inframe bench test the motor shuts off, then the issue is one or several of the items south of where you benched in the power and the motor.
If bus is plugged into the same shore power, the motor and blower should be grounded to minimize the shock to you if you are not careful or should not be doing this type of problem solving.

Last edited by GregOC; 04-30-2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: after thoight
Old 04-30-2019

Keep in mind three things when replacing parts. 1-, the part that faild did so often as a result of some other issue. 2- the part may not be the correct part. 3- if the part was previously replaced see thing 1.
Old 04-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFCO View Post
Big Al, did you have voltage on both legs of the gauges inside the coach when the fan wasn't running? I just checked mine and it ran for like 5 minutes, power both legs and fan running. At about 5 minutes no power on either leg! Of course fan off then too.

Stopped looking right then, only had a few minutes. Just adding my info as I get it, hopefully your having better luck then me!
Stuart,
I did that test a couple a weeks ago and I am quit sure I had power at both legs. Sometimes my C.R.S. gets in the way. I got the motor out and took it to place that said they can take care of it.
They noticed some play in the shaft so they are going to look at the bushings.
They are going to bench test it and look at.........I think the resistor that shots
it down when it gets hot. I will report back my findings.
1989 WB 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4