Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-12-2011
smilingdog smilingdog is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 19
Default How do I hang new cabnets?

Hello everybody,
I am getting off of the boat today and will begin my new (single) life on board "Further More" as a Full-Timer. I have just invested a stupid amount of money on my new entertainment system and floors. Now I just have to install them, hopefully with the help from the local Mexicans that hang out at Home Depot. I am no handy man. But I will organize the work and take pictures of my adventures and post them. But here's my question; How do you go about hanging/attaching "new build" cabinets to the bus? Glue? I intend to find a way to remodel the rear bedroom and put some cabinets there, but I'm clueless as to how to go about it. I don't mind hiring someone in the area or ...I could sure use some advise.
Smilingdog
__________________
Bruce(Smilingdog)Smith
1982 Wanderlodge FC
"FURTHER-MORE"
New Orleans
awayatsea1@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-12-2011
Rob Robinson's Avatar
Rob Robinson Rob Robinson is offline
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Victoria
Posts: 4,387
Default

Bruce Wanderlodges were constructed with plywood walls. I would first check to see what thickness was used and if it is anything over 1/2 inch I would simply attach directly to the plywood. Make sure the plywood is securely fastened to the wall ribs.
__________________
Rob Robinson
Victoria, British Columbia
1999 LXi
Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-12-2011
Ernest Ekberg's Avatar
Ernest Ekberg Ernest Ekberg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Weatherford, Tx
Posts: 5,947
Default

"local Mexicans that hang out at Home Dept"
Yes, I would really like to see photos of their work
__________________
Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty 45 XL
ernietex@yahoo.com
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-12-2011
gcyeaw's Avatar
gcyeaw gcyeaw is offline
Gardner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ridgewood
Posts: 8,899
Default

Be aware that there is wiring and plumbing in the walls and ceiling. Just screwing something on without knowing what is behind it is a bad idea. If you know the thickness of the wall material, then a screw that won't penetrate the back side should be used.

A lot of the wiring runs lengthwise through the galleys below the roof-line behind the cabinets, but wiring to the outlets, thermostats, switches, etc, etc, will run down inside the walls.
__________________
Gardner Yeaw
86 PT-36 Golden Memories
83FC35 SB $IXTEEN TON$ SOLD
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-12-2011
Buckeye Bird's Avatar
Buckeye Bird Buckeye Bird is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 2,371
Default

I am going to say what I think everyone has been hinting at. When you ask if you can glue the cabinets up or are going to hire mexicans from Home Depot to do the work it says a lot. I think you are in over your head on this project....

If there is any way possible, you should probably try to find someone in the area that does bus conversions or RV remodels to at least give you some help with how things need to be installed. You may have to pay for the advice, but it will be well worth it. Better yet, if you can afford it, just let someone that knows what they are doing do the work, especially when it comes to hanging cabinets or anything else that might require a drill. There are just too many wires, etc. behind the walls to run a screw into. You may really mess up your coach with a bad install, as well as making it dangerous.

Just my 2 cents......
__________________
Dan & Janet
Buckeye Bird II
1994 BMC 37'
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio

Last edited by Buckeye Bird; 07-12-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-12-2011
mynavion mynavion is offline
Can't re-member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Stockbridge
Posts: 2,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingdog View Post
Hello everybody,
I am getting off of the boat today and will begin my new (single) life on board "Further More" as a Full-Timer. I have just invested a stupid amount of money on my new entertainment system and floors. Now I just have to install them, hopefully with the help from the local Mexicans that hang out at Home Depot. I am no handy man. But I will organize the work and take pictures of my adventures and post them. But here's my question; How do you go about hanging/attaching "new build" cabinets to the bus? Glue? I intend to find a way to remodel the rear bedroom and put some cabinets there, but I'm clueless as to how to go about it. I don't mind hiring someone in the area or ...I could sure use some advise.
Smilingdog
Just curious, what's wrong with what BB put in the coach. There is a heck of a lot of interior storage for the size of an FC and it's obviously of good quality proven by roughly 30 years of usage and still good. Again, just curious......
__________________

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-12-2011
MRPutz's Avatar
MRPutz MRPutz is offline
Burnin Up in Az. :-)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mesa
Posts: 4,148
Default

I could see wanting bigger cabinets as a reason to replace what is there. Depth and Height are all variables. However, if not properly secured they will come down with a heavy load and bouncing down the road!

You'd best get professional help OR start asking LOTS of questions and send MANY pics and the "staff" here can guide you! There are many rules of thumb in conversions..

1) NEVER use particle board
2) NEVER use MDF
3) ALWAYS over build as vibration and duration do not mix!
4) I built my cabinets in my conversion from 3/4" ply.. GOOD ply (not 3-ply from Home Depot)
5) There are steel framing surrounding the bus.. I use them!
6) NEVER.. NEVER screw into anything you cannot CHECK behind first!

Many more.. but gotta run.. Think it over.. If you really need to rebuild and you have some carpentry skills.. then you have a good chance of success with all the input you'll find here. I've attached a pic of my 3/4" cabinets...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIF_3338.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	11238  
__________________
Michael & Tami Putz
78FC35SB & 83FC35SB Wanderlodge - "Putz'n Around"
'90 GL1500 Goldwing | '67 VW Rail | '82 CJ5 Jeep
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-12-2011
Turbokitty's Avatar
Turbokitty Turbokitty is offline
Timberlake Products Group
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Clearwater
Posts: 4,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Bruce Wanderlodges were constructed with plywood walls. I would first check to see what thickness was used and if it is anything over 1/2 inch I would simply attach directly to the plywood. Make sure the plywood is securely fastened to the wall ribs.
FWIW, Neither of my buses have plywood on the outside walls. Yes, there is plywood used for divisional walls but not where traditional kitchen type cabinets would be hung. The rubber ribbed wall and ceiling panels are just ribbed and padded materials over a very thin ply of dense press type board. Our FC cabinentry is primarily a metal framework too which is bolted to the structural ribs etc.

Also, "new built" cabinentry would be a real booger with the rounded interior wall/ceiling intersection.

Good Luck with you project and day laborer's.
__________________

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup

Last edited by Turbokitty; 07-12-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-12-2011
Rob Robinson's Avatar
Rob Robinson Rob Robinson is offline
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Victoria
Posts: 4,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
FWIW, Neither of my buses have plywood on the outside walls. Yes, there is plywood used for divisional walls but not where traditional kitchen type cabinets would be hung. The rubber ribbed wall and ceiling panels are just ribbed and padded materials over a very thin ply of dense press type board. Our FC cabinentry is primarily a metal framework too which is bolted to the structural ribs etc.

Also, "new built" cabinentry would be a real booger with the rounded interior wall/ceiling intersection.

Good Luck with you project and day laborer's.
That's good. It should be easier to remove to see what's behind the paneling and then attach plywood or some other 'hard point' structures to affix the cabinets.
__________________
Rob Robinson
Victoria, British Columbia
1999 LXi
Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-12-2011
Turbokitty's Avatar
Turbokitty Turbokitty is offline
Timberlake Products Group
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Clearwater
Posts: 4,929
Default

Absolutely Rob, A hard point is certainly a must!
__________________

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Having to Hang Up My Keys ERay General 7 04-24-2011 04:44 PM
Buses hang over highway! NH Bill Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions 1 12-21-2008 01:58 PM
Odometer hang ups... konehd Vehicle Issues 9 07-31-2008 11:30 AM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.