Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 07-12-2011

Default How do I hang new cabnets?

Hello everybody,
I am getting off of the boat today and will begin my new (single) life on board "Further More" as a Full-Timer. I have just invested a stupid amount of money on my new entertainment system and floors. Now I just have to install them, hopefully with the help from the local Mexicans that hang out at Home Depot. I am no handy man. But I will organize the work and take pictures of my adventures and post them. But here's my question; How do you go about hanging/attaching "new build" cabinets to the bus? Glue? I intend to find a way to remodel the rear bedroom and put some cabinets there, but I'm clueless as to how to go about it. I don't mind hiring someone in the area or ...I could sure use some advise.
Smilingdog
New Orleans
awayatsea1@yahoo.com
Old 07-12-2011
Forum Moderator

Bruce Wanderlodges were constructed with plywood walls. I would first check to see what thickness was used and if it is anything over 1/2 inch I would simply attach directly to the plywood. Make sure the plywood is securely fastened to the wall ribs.
Old 07-12-2011

"local Mexicans that hang out at Home Dept"
Yes, I would really like to see photos of their work
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 07-12-2011
Gardner

Be aware that there is wiring and plumbing in the walls and ceiling. Just screwing something on without knowing what is behind it is a bad idea. If you know the thickness of the wall material, then a screw that won't penetrate the back side should be used.

A lot of the wiring runs lengthwise through the galleys below the roof-line behind the cabinets, but wiring to the outlets, thermostats, switches, etc, etc, will run down inside the walls.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-12-2011

I am going to say what I think everyone has been hinting at. When you ask if you can glue the cabinets up or are going to hire mexicans from Home Depot to do the work it says a lot. I think you are in over your head on this project....

If there is any way possible, you should probably try to find someone in the area that does bus conversions or RV remodels to at least give you some help with how things need to be installed. You may have to pay for the advice, but it will be well worth it. Better yet, if you can afford it, just let someone that knows what they are doing do the work, especially when it comes to hanging cabinets or anything else that might require a drill. There are just too many wires, etc. behind the walls to run a screw into. You may really mess up your coach with a bad install, as well as making it dangerous.

Just my 2 cents......
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio

Last edited by Buckeye Bird; 07-12-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2011
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingdog View Post
Hello everybody,
I am getting off of the boat today and will begin my new (single) life on board "Further More" as a Full-Timer. I have just invested a stupid amount of money on my new entertainment system and floors. Now I just have to install them, hopefully with the help from the local Mexicans that hang out at Home Depot. I am no handy man. But I will organize the work and take pictures of my adventures and post them. But here's my question; How do you go about hanging/attaching "new build" cabinets to the bus? Glue? I intend to find a way to remodel the rear bedroom and put some cabinets there, but I'm clueless as to how to go about it. I don't mind hiring someone in the area or ...I could sure use some advise.
Smilingdog
Just curious, what's wrong with what BB put in the coach. There is a heck of a lot of interior storage for the size of an FC and it's obviously of good quality proven by roughly 30 years of usage and still good. Again, just curious......

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 07-12-2011
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

I could see wanting bigger cabinets as a reason to replace what is there. Depth and Height are all variables. However, if not properly secured they will come down with a heavy load and bouncing down the road!

You'd best get professional help OR start asking LOTS of questions and send MANY pics and the "staff" here can guide you! There are many rules of thumb in conversions..

1) NEVER use particle board
2) NEVER use MDF
3) ALWAYS over build as vibration and duration do not mix!
4) I built my cabinets in my conversion from 3/4" ply.. GOOD ply (not 3-ply from Home Depot)
5) There are steel framing surrounding the bus.. I use them!
6) NEVER.. NEVER screw into anything you cannot CHECK behind first!

Many more.. but gotta run.. Think it over.. If you really need to rebuild and you have some carpentry skills.. then you have a good chance of success with all the input you'll find here. I've attached a pic of my 3/4" cabinets...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIF_3338.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	11238  
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 07-12-2011
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Bruce Wanderlodges were constructed with plywood walls. I would first check to see what thickness was used and if it is anything over 1/2 inch I would simply attach directly to the plywood. Make sure the plywood is securely fastened to the wall ribs.
FWIW, Neither of my buses have plywood on the outside walls. Yes, there is plywood used for divisional walls but not where traditional kitchen type cabinets would be hung. The rubber ribbed wall and ceiling panels are just ribbed and padded materials over a very thin ply of dense press type board. Our FC cabinentry is primarily a metal framework too which is bolted to the structural ribs etc.

Also, "new built" cabinentry would be a real booger with the rounded interior wall/ceiling intersection.

Good Luck with you project and day laborer's.

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup

Last edited by Turbokitty; 07-12-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2011
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
FWIW, Neither of my buses have plywood on the outside walls. Yes, there is plywood used for divisional walls but not where traditional kitchen type cabinets would be hung. The rubber ribbed wall and ceiling panels are just ribbed and padded materials over a very thin ply of dense press type board. Our FC cabinentry is primarily a metal framework too which is bolted to the structural ribs etc.

Also, "new built" cabinentry would be a real booger with the rounded interior wall/ceiling intersection.

Good Luck with you project and day laborer's.
That's good. It should be easier to remove to see what's behind the paneling and then attach plywood or some other 'hard point' structures to affix the cabinets.
Old 07-12-2011
Timberlake Products Group

Absolutely Rob, A hard point is certainly a must!

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup