Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 11-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Parker View Post
You got it Dan! Going to do some metal bending this weekend.
I'm less concerned about metal bending (cosmetic) versus structure problem like the axle is in the wrong spot. I'd get that figured out first.

Quote:
Moving on to the next problem. The water system, Broken pipes everywhere!
Any suggestions?
Sounds like it wasn't winterized properly. With that in mind, while its a lot of work, I'd start at the water inlet and replace with PEX and work my way forward one by one.
VB 1570
Old 11-03-2011

Sean, Forget about the metal for a moment. Get yourself a tape measure and check the distance form the center of the drive axle to the center of the tag axle on each side. It sure looks like that tag axle is back too far.

I don't see that much bent metal to make it look like that.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 11-03-2011

I agree with Rick, I don't how a tag is even attached to the bus but it does look like it's way back from it's position on my bus. If that bus was hit from the back hard enough to push that sheet metal over the tag it would have had to have left a bigger mark. Looks to me like some one might have pried against that metal because it was rubbing on the tire. This is all speculation on my part but something doesn't look right that's for sure.

After taking a second look at that original picture I've reconsidered. That engine bay grill is way forward of it's correct position. Appears to be overlapping the awning strut. So perhaps it is not the tag axle position but I'd certainly check that as well.

Could be both. Hope not.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-04-2011

If you look at the gap between the rubber fender flare and the tires, it's pretty even until you get to the back 1/4 of the tire. The drive has roughly the same gap around it, except it's even all the way around. Sean's only got a little sheet metal and a little minor frame work to do. That corner doesn't have much in it, only a 1"x2" box tube running vertical in the back corner. Since he does this kind of stuff for a living, it's an easy fix for him. That's why he's already looking at other problems.

Sean, as far as the broken pipes- just start at the tanks and keep repairing as you go. Everyplace that had water sitting when she froze will need your help. But it shows you how very important good winterization techniques are! You'll get her!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 11-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Sean, Forget about the metal for a moment. Get yourself a tape measure and check the distance form the center of the drive axle to the center of the tag axle on each side. It sure looks like that tag axle is back too far.

I don't see that much bent metal to make it look like that.

Very deceiving. Rick your right, get the measurements. That should tell this story.

Dan
San Marcos, CA

Old 11-07-2011
BB Restorator

Default Working on it today!!!

Got a plow truck to fix, new floors, rockers, corners, doors, fender, wells, then BLUEBIRD AFTERNOON !!!!! PICS tonight. Thanks Guys, it's fun reading your posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
If you look at the gap between the rubber fender flare and the tires, it's pretty even until you get to the back 1/4 of the tire. The drive has roughly the same gap around it, except it's even all the way around. Sean's only got a little sheet metal and a little minor frame work to do. That corner doesn't have much in it, only a 1"x2" box tube running vertical in the back corner. Since he does this kind of stuff for a living, it's an easy fix for him. That's why he's already looking at other problems.

Sean, as far as the broken pipes- just start at the tanks and keep repairing as you go. Everyplace that had water sitting when she froze will need your help. But it shows you how very important good winterization techniques are! You'll get her!
[URL="http://www.pentagonpaintball.com"]www.pentagonpaintball.com[/URL]
Wine is Good for all! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-08-2011
BB Restorator

Default got out tape measure

Ok all tire measurments are the same both sides and front to back.
Sheet metal is bent and back corner post is clearly bent. Can't be completely pulled out because the way sheet metal works. Gonna do some deriviting, flatening and rivit it back up. Right Grill is all bent up also. Easy fix. Just time.
[URL="http://www.pentagonpaintball.com"]www.pentagonpaintball.com[/URL]
Wine is Good for all! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-08-2011

That is good news. Get the hammer out.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 11-08-2011
Forum owner

all you need is a porta-power.
A big one!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-08-2011

Large tree, heavy chain and a steady foot should do the job. No guts, no glory.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656