Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 11-29-2011

Default Flourescent to LED strips questions

For those of you who have changed from flourescent bulbs to LED strips I have several questions.

My fixtures are all 18" dual tubes with metal white reflector backs. I am considering changing to the LED strips from Dupree Products.

If you have made the change, how is the overall volume of light, color of light, and directional broadcast of the light outward, downward, sideways?

The flourescents are of course multi directional, being round they cast light in all directions. LEDs are more of a directional light(?), and I am wondering about the volume of light in both lumens, and directionally outward at all angles to cover the living area.

I am thinking of 2 LED strips per fixture, to replace the two current bulbs per fixture - comments?

Depending upon the answers, I may only do the lights directly over the counters, and keep flouresents in the middle of the aisle of the coach to broadcast light in all directions (comments?).

Thanks,
Old 11-29-2011

I changed out one of my 18 in. fixtures in the SP -36 with leds in a tube (purchased at FMCA show) do not remember the brand. They seemed to be about the same as the florescents. You could rotate the tube to direct light where you wanted it. I would feel comfortable changing all of your tubes. Just make sure you get compatable color units -- warm white to warm white etc.

It might be best to do one fixture and see how you like it and then decide.

We changed out all of the halogens in the m 380 (more than 40) with warm white leds and have been very pleased.
Old 11-29-2011

I have changed out 8 flourescent bulbs for the Dupree LED strips. I believe that there is more light with the LEDs than the bulbs they replaced. I have replaced a single bulb over the enterance door, a double over the kitchen counter, two double (4 bulbs) which is the main light in the bathroom, and a single over the vanity. the 4 LEds in the main bathroom is much brighter than it was with 4 flourescent bulbs. There is no apparent difference in the distribution of that light.
I did what Jim suggested in that I changed one, and then ordered more.

The light of the LEDs is slightly brighter (hotter in colour) than the flourescent cool white bulbs that they replaced.

In short I am very happy with them. I have replaced about 1/2 of my flourescent bulbs in the bus. I have replaced all the halogen bulbs with LEDs I bought on EBay. I replaced the night lights at the floor level, with LEDs I bought on EBay.

I will eventually replace all the flourescent bulbs with the LED strips and then with the exception of the two 120v lights, and the 12v spot reading lights, I will be all LED.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 11-29-2011

I replaced all of the 18" tubes with LEDs. I kept the diffuser that came with the fixture. I found them to be slightly brighter light, and no directional problems. I used the bright white and found it bluer than the flourescents or the warm whites. I like it better, but a matter of taste. I only have the 6' tubes in the bedroom to change. A lot cheaper than changing ballasts.
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2015 GMC Acadia
207-939-3816
Old 11-29-2011
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

All very good news. The old ballast lights really drew a lot of power! For boony docking I made everyone use the bullet lights and put one LED in them to test. I love it, the wife doesn't care for the color.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 11-29-2011

Default LEDs to replace halogen spotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
I changed out one of my 18 in. fixtures in the SP -36 with leds in a tube (purchased at FMCA show) do not remember the brand. They seemed to be about the same as the florescents. You could rotate the tube to direct light where you wanted it. I would feel comfortable changing all of your tubes. Just make sure you get compatable color units -- warm white to warm white etc.

It might be best to do one fixture and see how you like it and then decide.

We changed out all of the halogens in the m 380 (more than 40) with warm white leds and have been very pleased.
Jim, can you give me some specifics on the LEDs you're using. I'm thinking about changing out the 10w halogens in my M380.

Last edited by Dan & Cindy; 11-29-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-29-2011

the leds are comparable to the halogen side mount warm white 7 chip

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 11-29-2011

Dan,

We used the leds from Stephen. Ron Ruckwald had made the change out and gave us the info -- suggested warm white. Other than a couple of infant mortality failures (replaced at no charge) thay are all working great.
Old 11-29-2011

Thanks for all the replies. I will try replacing about 1/2 in Dec or Jan. All together I have 27 18" flourescent bulbs.

I already changed all the interior bayonet 12 volt lights to LED previously. I do also have 2 halogens in the front I want to convert to LED. I need to pull the halogen bulbs to see the pin style on those 2.
Old 11-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
Dan,

We used the leds from Stephen. Ron Ruckwald had made the change out and gave us the info -- suggested warm white. Other than a couple of infant mortality failures (replaced at no charge) thay are all working great.
I like that infant mortality sounds better than itcrappedout

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact