Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-27-2014

Exclamation Muffler Disaster Avoided

I started my preventative muffler replacement project yesterday and boy did I get my money's worth!

When I opened up the bird screen on top, I found that the surrounding insulation had completely collapsed onto the muffler and sealed off whatever open space there had been (See Pic 1 below). There was evidence that the insulation had burned at some time in the past with charring and a black residue. The under side of the bird screen also had what looked like soot on it (See Pic 2). Lastly, the two bolts that secure the metal support angle iron to the coach were completely missing their nuts. The bolts were lose in their holes and acting like a couple of pins. Even though my muffler project is now delayed because I had ordered the wrong part, I feel like I escaped a major disaster!!

If your coach has one, I highly recommend you check your exhaust stack for what I found on mine. I'll post all the details of my straight pipe conversion, once the project is completed in a couple more weeks (need to exchange a part that I had ordered incorrectly).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-26_09-33-50_746.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	31897   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-26_12-41-24_121.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	31898  
Old 09-28-2014

Looks like you have a worthwhile project. An update on our installation, climbing up the new I-26 from Asheville to Tenn. Nancy shot our inside cabinet wall at only 80 Degrees at the top of the grade. As soon as we stopped climbing it quickly dropped to mid 70's. Outside was mid 70's at the time.

Still looking forward to hearing your straight pipe.
Old 09-28-2014

Default Wow! That was a close one.

Van, glad to hear that you've found this one during an inspection, not the other way. Do you know if it was like this when you made your purchase or has it deteriorated since then?

I periodically use a video inspection camera to inspect the exterior of the muffler and interior of the chimney.

My next major project is to overhaul the exhaust system replacing the original muffler with a smaller stainless one. While the muffler is out, I plan to replace and augment the existing insulation with some Thermax rigid high-R insulation panels and line the entire chimney with overlapping 20 gauge 300 series stainless steel sheet metal panels.
Old 09-28-2014

Dupree Products has the parts in aluminized steep or 304 stainless

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 09-28-2014

Default Better solution to exhaust chase wall lining?

Yes, was lucky to have discovered it before disaster struck. I believe the chase was blocked when I bought the coach since I smelled something when PO and I drove it. As part of our deal he had it completely serviced before I picked the coach up and I specifically asked him to have a service tech look at the exhaust. He gave me the receipt showing the tech had signed off that all was ok. Guess I won't be driving to SLC to have that place do my work! Toni and I drove it back to Phoenix on the maiden voyage but only other driving since then has been around town for service & projects. A good thing! Found a WOG thread from a couple years ago where Randy successfully fought an M380 FIRE caused by this exact issue.

Dan - I looked up Thermax. So that (1/2" ?) with sheet metal facing is the best alternative you've found to the foil faced batts that BB used? How are you attaching it since the instructions say it's best to not penetrate the barrier? I plan to wrap the pipe from the bellows up to the turnout but need something better than what's lining the walls of the chase now. Anyone else have a different solution? Did you hire a very "small person" to install it for you? Thanks Stephen, I'll look into it. All suggestions on this appreciated!
Old 09-28-2014
prone to wandering

Van, my plan is to replace the muffler with a straight pipe and wrap it in exhaust heat shield/tape before installing it.
If the straight pipe is too noisy I will install a short resonator just below the chase. I measured and figure that I can get one that will fit. I have put these resonator's on big trucks with straight pipes and it seems that they are just enough to take the "bark" out of the exhaust
jimdoel@me.com
Old 09-28-2014
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Yes, was lucky to have discovered it before disaster struck. I believe the chase was blocked when I bought the coach since I smelled something when PO and I drove it. As part of our deal he had it completely serviced before I picked the coach up and I specifically asked him to have a service tech look at the exhaust. He gave me the receipt showing the tech had signed off that all was ok. Guess I won't be driving to SLC to have that place do my work! Toni and I drove it back to Phoenix on the maiden voyage but only other driving since then has been around town for service & projects. A good thing! Found a WOG thread from a couple years ago where Randy successfully fought an M380 FIRE caused by this exact issue.

Dan - I looked up Thermax. So that (1/2" ?) with sheet metal facing is the best alternative you've found to the foil faced batts that BB used? How are you attaching it since the instructions say it's best to not penetrate the barrier? I plan to wrap the pipe from the bellows up to the turnout but need something better than what's lining the walls of the chase now. Anyone else have a different solution? Did you hire a very "small person" to install it for you? Thanks Stephen, I'll look into it. All suggestions on this appreciated!

The fire we fought was a group effort,Cliff and i fought the fire,Carol ran looking for a ladder and managed to "borrow" one from someone ,Barbara was getting her "prizes" out the door.

Thanks to Cliff having a full tank of water and a hose we got it put out.

I bet the tech that looked over your exhaust looked up from the bottom and called it good.
You really need to get on top and look down to see the insulation.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-30-2014

Exclamation Holes Found In Pipe Clamps!

10/30 update: I am SO GLAD I put this project at the top of my lengthy list!

Finally got around to working on the project yesterday. When I removed the old muffler, I discovered I had two holes burned through both the pipe and clamps above and below the expansion bellows. The picture below shows one of the clamps. Although it doesn't look bad, the pipe itself looked much worse with an inch chunk missing at the end. Surprisingly, the muffler was in pretty good shape. It does not look like the BB recall to apply muffler cement on the joints had been accomplished. That will be fixed with my install and everything from the turnout up top, down to the bellows will be stainless steel pipe. Other than some severely burned foil up top, the chase insulation was in serviceable shape. So I am lining the chase with galvanized metal from two opened up 8" diameter vent pipes. The overlapping layers won't be sealed but they are screwed top and bottom to the inside of the chase. Prior to the exhaust pipe install, it looks kinda like a SolarTube if you've ever seen one of those. I really like all the space that the straight pipe opens up in the chase and expect some significant cooling effect from that. However, I will also wrap the pipe with that ceramic tape since others have said it works so well. BB fastened the old insulation against the chase with simple Phillips screws without a fender washer to keep it from pulling through. So it's not surprising it pulled away from the wall and collapsed against the muffler. That won't be a problem now with my sheet metal clad chase walls. For those of you who installed straight-through mufflers - I hope you checked all of the connections for leaks and added muffler cement as required. This was yet another exhaust disaster avoided!

When I finish, I'll post some more pictures as well as a YouTube video that reveals my new "throaty" straight pipe sound
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	32491  

Last edited by NoGas; 10-30-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2014

Seems like these exhausts running up thru the coach is equivalent to the compressor lines on our old rigs. Ignore them to your peril.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-30-2014

Reminds me of my days working for the Navy. I used to inspect the uptake spaces (smoke stacks) for cracks and loose insulation by climbing down a 6" wide wire rope ladder. All that heat takes its toll on the installation.