Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-02-2013

Default Rear View Camera, which one?

I have done some research here on a rear view camera. Someone recently installed one and got me to thinking. The one in Blue Thunder works but isn't to clear.
I got to looking around and there are lots available. I even have an Obserview single rear view B/W one, never used still in the box. (would sell)
I am thinking about a Voyager 7 with 4 imputs but using just 3. Right, left and rear. I have noticed that you have to be careful in looking at these and notice that the unit doesn't come with the extra cameras. They charge an extra 300.00 for each. (right and left)
Prices are all over the place.
I am not sure if I should just use the one in the coach, and get more comfortable driving and using my mirrors or jump in and buy.
I am stuck between "turn your head and look and use your right side mirrors more" and the rear, side view mirrors will be safer.
Any ideas or suggestions on this? Thanks. Spencer
1990 PT-40 Blue Thunder
Old 02-02-2013

Woody hooked me up with a company in Ca that sells a good unit on Ebay. It was less than 150 bucks with one camera and the ability to install a second one if wanted. Works for me. I think Don also bought one. Mine has been in for a year and a half with no problems.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-02-2013

Default Rear View Camera, which one?

Spencer:
I have towed a large trailer for the past 6 years, and recently am towing 4 wheels down.
I purchased a multi media sound system which came with a backup camera, so that is on my licence place. I have two views of the toad/trailer, one from overhead and can see behind as well, and the other is down low, can see the car.
For backing up, I never use the rear view camera, my wife is back there to ensure that no traffic etc is there, as well as the overheads, but I use the rear view mirrors .
With the rear view mirrors set up correctly, you should be able to see almost the complete side of the coach as well.
Old 02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Woody hooked me up with a company in Ca that sells a good unit on Ebay. It was less than 150 bucks with one camera and the ability to install a second one if wanted. Works for me. I think Don also bought one. Mine has been in for a year and a half with no problems.
I also bought one off eBay. (Leviathan Holdings) Probably the same company as Rick's. I did have to disable the night vision LEDs to keep them from reflecting off the glass when mounted inside. If you mount the camera outside that will not be necessary. I am happy with the setup as I can now see over and around my enclosed car trailer when towing. The wider angle camera allows you to see approaching vehicles (both left and right lanes) almost to the back of the coach - then the side view mirrors take over.
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 02-02-2013

Spencer- I don't know if you have glass or molded plastic for your cover. Mine was molded plastic and the clear part has bit the dust with uv rays, etc. Went to glass shop and asked them to cut a piece of glass to go on this cover. They made it 1/4 inch larger then the old clear part. i used my scrollsaw and cut the old plastic- added silicone and now I can see.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 02-02-2013

Erine that is a great idea. Thanks for the tip.
281-546-2445
Old 02-08-2013

Rick, Do you have details on the $150 ebay camera. Link to item or seller? Thanks, Deet

Never mind: Saw "Leviathan Holdings" in KC's post.
trideet@gmail.com

Last edited by Ironbutt62; 02-08-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Looked a couple of posts up and found the answer.
Old 02-08-2013
Geek

The cover is glass. The camera is one I bought at a Best Buy in 2008 - at the time that was the only backup (reversible) camera they had, now they have a ton of them. It is wide-angle, color.

I drew converging lines on the monitor that continue the sides of the bus back. (drawn with Sharpie on scotch tape) Very easy to align the coach with a back-in pad, no assistant needed. I created the lines by putting 1 gallon paint buckets in two rows.

The camera was adjusted so the top of the camera is roughly 60 feet from the back of the bus - decent point to pull in when a truck bumper is disappearing at the top.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 02-13-2013

Default Back Up Camera

I got one 2 years ago from RVS Systems (it says TFT Color Monitor on the front as well) for about $200-$250. the color is not super crisp but it is extremely clear.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/school...er-rv-cam.html

My old Sony B&W monitor from 1995 was so fuzzy it was almost worthless.

This unit has LED's as well and I wanted to keep them so I took out the back glass (long story, didn't plan it that way) and installed instead a stainless steel plate with a hole in it matching the camera protrusion sealed it with black caulk and it fits well and looks pretty professional if I do say so myself . I also had to fabricate a new bracket for the camera inside the bus so it would be positioned properly.

I will say since I was replacing B&W with color I had to run a new cable from back to front and that turned out to be one of the hardest parts.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117