Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 01-05-2013

Default What's needed to tow jeep wrangler

I just got a great deal on a 01 jeep wrangler. Now I need to set it up for towing. The advise and recommendations are all over on a search here. The only thing I found out for sure is I can't use the stock bumper to attach it to. Without spending a small fortune right now how can I get set up for towing.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 01-05-2013
95 WB 42

Kip
Not sure about the 01 on our 98 the Falcon Roadmaster fit without modification or removal of the bumper.
We sold our 98 and kept the tow set up, I don't see us getting another Jeep it's for sale if it will fit I don't know.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 01-05-2013

Ed is it the mounting brackets only or the whole setup.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 01-05-2013

on our 99, we used a Blue Ox baseplate. It mounted underneath the stock bumper.
2010 Honda Element -- "Shadow"

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost." -- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Old 01-05-2013

I think you have two basic options Roadmaster and Blue Ox. You can research what both require for that model. I don't think it is too hard to find via google.
Fruita Colorado
Old 01-05-2013

Here's what I use on my Rubicon...bolts to the bottom of the frame (under the bumper). Its strong, tucked up high out of the way and fairly cheap. I use a Falcon tow bar with this set up. http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=2651
Old 01-05-2013
Former Bird Owner

For any tow vehicle, you'll typically need:

1. Base Plate (compatible with selected tow bar).

2. Tow bar rated to meet or exceed the two weight of the vehicle

3. Lighting hook up for tail lights and turn signals on towed vehicle. (This can vary considerably in difficulty of set up. You can use either the existing signals, with diodes to control single direction flow of current, or use magnetic mount (or other) extra lights (similar to what tow trucks use). Some jeeps have extra mounting holes in the existing light fixtures for a second set of lights used for towing.

4. Supplemental braking system to apply brakes on the towed vehicle when stopping or slowing the vehicle. As a practical matter, to avoid wear on the towed vehicle brakes, they should be adjusted to only come on during panic stops for most vehicles. When towing with a Wanderlodge (particularly newer ones), the weight of the towed vehicle is usually such a small component of the combined vehicle weight that the added stopping capability of the towed vehicle does not contribute much except in panic situations. Frankly, with a lighter towed vehicle, supplemental brakes have little value -- but most states require added brakes, usually when weight exceeds 1500~2000 lbs. Check your state rules. Such rules may apply in some states regardless of where the RV and towed are registered.

5. Some vehicles, especially those with automatic transmissions, may not be towed "four down" (all wheels on the ground). However Remco manufactures transmission lube pumps and another manufacturer (spun off from Remco after a change of ownership a few years back) has drive shaft "locking" systems that allow the engine/transmission to be disconnected while towing. These are expensive solutions, but (as I found) it was better to spend $1000 on a transmission lube pump and installation on a paid-for auto in known condition than to spend 5 to 10 times as much on another unknown used vehicle that was ready to tow without such a device.

It always pays to shop around. Google is your friend. There are fans of various brands of tow bars, etc., but the reported service (on this list) of the various brands does not suggest that any one brand is consistently superior to any other brand.

FWIW, I had a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. It did its job satisfactorily for over 36,000 miles of towing. The Remco transmission lube pump I had also worked as intended, with no damage to the transmission. (I did have some hassles with bad umbilical cords between the coach and toad -- but that was simply a matter of keeping the pins/plugs clean -- and having a spare to quickly swap if a poor connection caused a problem at an inconvenient moment (as they always do).)

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-05-2013

Default wrangler

I am currently setting up a 2001 jeep wrangler as a tow vehicle. I went with the M&G brake system and their breakaway system as well. Keep in mind this system is not transferable to many other vehicles. I do not have any intention of selling mine any time soon so that did not sway me in my decision to buy this system. I also got a blueox 10,000 lb tow bar with my coach when I bought it so all I had to do was buy the base plate. I found my plate on e-bay for $200.00. I installed it myself and it was not very hard to do. If you have any questions and I can help e-mail me
Old 01-05-2013
95 WB 42

Kip
It's the full set up,jeep base plate and Falcon bar that slides into your receiver.
You'll still need brakeing system I didn't use one.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell

Last edited by Ed Wimberley; 01-05-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: info
Old 01-06-2013

Wow I'm searching for a emergency break away setup. These setups are expensive. Is there a cheap setup for emergency use only.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920