Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 07-08-2013

Default New Family with group - need repairs in New Mexico

Help! Howdy everyone - thanks in advance - New Family with Wanderlodge group - need repairs in New Mexico. My mom n dad are on their way across country in their "new" 1976 3208 NA 'bird - we have done lot's of work in preparation for an across the country trip to New Jersey I believe (that may change and they park the 'bird in Indianapolis), Grandpa & I are good with diesels, have done a couple of repairs en route already in the last week. I'm at home in the Bay Area riding computer and they are heading across New Mexico as we speak and have been working with the sticky fuel cutoff solenoid issue. Easy to replace once you have parts but there are workarounds for using the existing but semi-functional solenoid but they are rolling.

Any-whoo, they have a small radiator leak at the top tank (I believe) and are looking for a sidejob, cash or shadetree mechanic to pull radiator and have boiled out/repaired. we took out last year, looked good but they did not do the swing-out radiator as suggested in this forum. They can divert from route. I've been asking for their location and direction in New Mexico so any New Mexico and east suggestions are heartily accepted. Thanks!

Edit- 1976 33' mid bathroom/galley - updated paint, 24.5" Alcoa's and airbags addition - towing Jeep Liberty. Mom is redoing curtains as they go - new tires, belts, hoses - why didn't they do the waterpump??? Front AC not working, rear just went out apparently. We know we are posting in the wrong location but since this is our first I think we can get away with it. My mom was supposed to post the route in advance but she doesn't regularly post on forums and I do so will post for them. I have suggested the West Truck Service Center in NM and they are heading that way - Dad is going to CAT to get a new fuel cutoff solenoid. I asked Mom to post a few questions: Where is there a couple of good motorhome type or even Wanderlodge specific wrecking/parts yards between NM and Missouri? They'd like to get some updated driver n passenger bucket seats and possibly update/grade their fridge and generally poke around and have someone install for them - they are retired and are on a limited budget (cheap). It's a nice 'Bird that I'll use now and then with my family so any repairs and upgrades will make my life easier. Any suggestions on where to move this thread to?

Last edited by ssuperflyoldguy; 07-08-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Rethinking orig post
Old 07-08-2013

Worlds largest. Colaws RV Surplus, and new stuff. 10389 Cimmaron Rd. Carthage, MO. On I-44.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 07-08-2013
Gardner

More often than not the fuel solenoid issue is low voltage or poor ground. Check it at the solenoid..should be a solid 12+.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-08-2013
RV Appraiser

If you are near Las Cruces, NM I would highly recommend Rush Truck Center. They have done work for several members of the forum including me. Cheap no but good work yes. They also own a Blue Bird school bus franchise so they should have access to some parts if needed.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 07-08-2013

Thanks for the responces - Amen on the grounds - 50/50 it could be the ground or a ground issue somewhere. I am pretty much a special teams 12v electrical whiz but forget to do the old ground check all the time. (I am a huge fan of the www.powerprobe.com, forgot to send Pops out with one, everyone with an older vehicle should have one) Already told my dad to run a separate ground to solenoid, he's already put in (or planning) a continuous duty solenoid and ran an extra switched hot leg to 'noid. Don't forget the ol' whack the solenoid trick when hotted up, that may get you back on the road until you can get a replacement installed. Will keep updated and post pictures as soon as I figure out where a few good ones are and how to actually post them.
Old 07-08-2013

Yes, have worked with Rush before buying used Bluebirds, great outfit but on the retail end of the price range. I am the only builder of open top tour buses on the west coast, Bluebirds are a staple for us, that's how we found our Wanderlodge, we needed some parts - somebody knew of a Bluebird bus that was sitting behind a bar which we ignored for a long time (my wife would never go in to a converted school bus motorhome that had lived behind a bar). Turned out that due to language issues, he actually meant a factory motorhome built on a Bluebird chassis that was in a barn. Bam, a short ride over discovers a time machine (17 years?) with a really nice older Wanderlodge. Was ours and running within the hour. Dad would not allow any parts to be pulled, all mine are 5.9 Cummins anyways.
Old 07-08-2013
Not so Junior anymore

Not sure what we could do to help but My wife and I are in Blue Water NM on I40 between Grants and Gallop if we can be of help.
Towed 1986 Suzuki Samurai OR 2014 Jeep jk
Old 07-09-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuperflyoldguy View Post
Thanks for the responces - Amen on the grounds - 50/50 it could be the ground or a ground issue somewhere. I am pretty much a special teams 12v electrical whiz but forget to do the old ground check all the time. (I am a huge fan of the www.powerprobe.com, forgot to send Pops out with one, everyone with an older vehicle should have one) Already told my dad to run a separate ground to solenoid, he's already put in (or planning) a continuous duty solenoid and ran an extra switched hot leg to 'noid. Don't forget the ol' whack the solenoid trick when hotted up, that may get you back on the road until you can get a replacement installed. Will keep updated and post pictures as soon as I figure out where a few good ones are and how to actually post them.

Check out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > How to use the Forum Features > How can I attach or add a photo to the body of my message? UPDATED INFORMATION

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-09-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuperflyoldguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
More often than not the fuel solenoid issue is low voltage or poor ground. Check it at the solenoid..should be a solid 12+.

Check out this previous post of mine and the links in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Jim is correct, I edited the link for him;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Links, Files, Old Yahoo Forum Database and Downloads > Manuals and Files Stored in This Forums Software DATABASE > Index of Downloaded Manuals and Files in Forums Software Database > FILES & DIRECTORIES > 3208 Cat Engine Ques..>

Now would be a good time to check the voltage at the fuel shut off solenoid if you haven't done it already.

A problem that is sometimes attributed to a plugged fuel filter on a CAT 3208, is actually a low voltage issue with the injector pump shutoff solenoid, here is a PDF file giving some ideas on how to fix that problem.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-12-2013

Thanks Iamflagman - I had sent a bunch of info to Pops including a bunch of your threads - fuel cutoff issues seem to have slowed down, he did pull and clean it out - I guess it wont be an issue until it is an issue again. Stopped to get radiator worked on, I suggested alumaseal, he wanted shop to fix properly, the shop put in alumaseal and they are now out of NM. Guess they should have done the swingout radiator bracket when they had the radiator out the last time.

Thanks for all the help, I told them that an ol' Wanderlodge may have some issues but huge support group. I am going to send em a PowerProbe III to their next long term stop and point them at this post to review all info. Their long term stop is Cincinatti