Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Tell Us Where You're At

Tell Us Where You're At As you travel around the country, why not take the time to tell our members where you have settled for the night, week, or month. There may be another member close by, that would like to meet you, so put that information right here.

Site Search:

Old 08-22-2013

Default Saskatchewan to British Columbia and back

Well,

Just got back from our first long haul! Bus still looks the same (no battle wounds) and the CAT is still purring (actually it is a pretty deep growl!)

Drove about 2700 KM (1650 M) and averaged about 66 KPH (41 MPH) - ranging from a low of 20 KPH to a high of 100 KPH (62 MPH). Looks like the old 3208 only burned a quart of oil (maybe 2) - still have to check it and top off the fuel.

Only problem was a blown seal on the rear HWH jack making a bit of a mess in the campground. But lots of sawdust close by helped clean up that little mess.

Learned a couple of rules while driving:

1. If you move over for traffic to pass, don't think they will let you back in the lane when you need to move back over!

2. After they pass you, if there is wildlife anywhere nearby to view, expect the traffic to stop in the middle of the road before pulling to the side so that you also must stop to enjoy the wildlife! Even if you are much bigger!!

But... all of the info that I have gained from this site was invaluable! All of the advice and tips made the driving enjoyable and much safer! The mountains were a little bit of a white knuckle experience at first, but by the end felt right at home again! Slow up (very slow .......at times) and just a slow down. Got the occasional wave but whatever!!! Just made sure to give the Truckers a chance to get ahead whenever I could.

And used chocks on the hills.... if getting out for a look see!

Since pictures can say a thousand words ..... check out my photo album (will load more photos later today).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0358.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	24335  
the (SLO-CAN) :
Old 08-22-2013

Next time you give us a call, maybe get together for lunch. I have room for a visiting wander lodge.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 08-22-2013

Pete,

Didn't make it down to the Island this time. We just visited family in the Kootenays and then headed back. We went out on through Rogers Pass to Revelstoke the to New Denver via Nakusp. On the return trip we drove up to Jasper via the Icefields Parkway, which I had never even on before - well worth the extra distance.

We are planning to head to Florida and California for Dec and Jan - possibly leaving the Bus down south until spring up here. Not sure I can swing a trip to the Island but ... I have not forgotten the invitation!

Hope you have been enjoying summer!
the (SLO-CAN) :
Old 08-23-2013
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang88 View Post
Well,

Just got back from our first long haul! Bus still looks the same (no battle wounds) and the CAT is still purring (actually it is a pretty deep growl!)

Drove about 2700 KM (1650 M) and averaged about 66 KPH (41 MPH) - ranging from a low of 20 KPH to a high of 100 KPH (62 MPH). Looks like the old 3208 only burned a quart of oil (maybe 2) - still have to check it and top off the fuel.

Only problem was a blown seal on the rear HWH jack making a bit of a mess in the campground. But lots of sawdust close by helped clean up that little mess.

Learned a couple of rules while driving:

1. If you move over for traffic to pass, don't think they will let you back in the lane when you need to move back over!

2. After they pass you, if there is wildlife anywhere nearby to view, expect the traffic to stop in the middle of the road before pulling to the side so that you also must stop to enjoy the wildlife! Even if you are much bigger!!

But... all of the info that I have gained from this site was invaluable! All of the advice and tips made the driving enjoyable and much safer! The mountains were a little bit of a white knuckle experience at first, but by the end felt right at home again! Slow up (very slow .......at times) and just a slow down. Got the occasional wave but whatever!!! Just made sure to give the Truckers a chance to get ahead whenever I could.

And used chocks on the hills.... if getting out for a look see!

Since pictures can say a thousand words ..... check out my photo album (will load more photos later today).
Kevin just a little bit of advice when dealing with the four wheelers. When you are ready to pull out into the fast lane and all is clear, move out with purpose and determination. I've found lots of them lurking back there and sometimes after letting my intentions be known they decide to screw things up. Bottom line.....When I deem it safe and start to move my turn signals become warning lights.....not requests. Additionally, when it comes to the ramp and merging traffic coming down to meet you keep a close watch on them. If they are traveling on a closing bearing and will likely meet you at the end of the ramp feel free to use those great air horns on the roof. Yes theirs is the merging responsibility but believe me there are cases where undue care has also been attributed to the vehicle on the right of way.

Last edited by Rob Robinson; 08-23-2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-23-2013

Sometimes the four wheelers have to be taught the "Lug Nut Rule". That is: "He who has the most Lug Nuts Rules".

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 08-23-2013

My wife loved having a clear view ahead for taking pictures! Funny, even in traffic most people left me space in front! Not to many stuck around behind me either, but I did not mind if they wanted to breathe the diesel fumes.

Rob, saw what you meant about considering the turn signal as a warning not a request. Got used to just moving over when I needed to and ensuring that other traffic was making room, no problems that way!

Foot got little tired from pushing on the accelerator - have not got the cruise control hooked up since it was leaking air!

No air horn! There is just an air leak at dash level and roof when the horn is selected to air. But, I will get to that in another thread!
the (SLO-CAN) :
Old 08-25-2013

kevin, sounds like you had a great trip! I to likethe higher view for picture taking.but sometimes my "window washer" forgets his job.and i get unwanted blurrs in the pic.
we have one more trip in my bus. down to chilliwack/vancouver.sechelt area for a qick trip to see the old folks, the newest teenage grandkids that bill's daughter adopted. at to pick up our new "fur baby" a special needs 11 yr old buf cocker spaniel.
and maybe next time you head this way we can get you in our schedule and meet you both somewhere.
$QUANDERLODGE lll ???

This somewhat birdless potter has a SHINY BRAND NEW KILN in her future

Kitimat,BC EH?
Blog : http://tulipvendor50.blogspot.ca

Old 08-26-2013

You might have passed Pierce in his FC31 on the way. He is doing the same trip in reverse.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)