Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 08-22-2013

Default private or dealer?

what is everyone's experience with either?

I've found a couple of wanderlodges on a couple of dealer sites, and have found that either people don't respond to emails, or have a rather snippy attitude when you ask specific questions...
I seem to have better experience (thus far) dealing with private sellers (one of whom is a member of this group.

your thoughts?

Last edited by iamflagman; 08-23-2013 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Added signature
Old 08-22-2013

Aside from a few dealers in the USA, most dealers have no idea about Wanderlodges. Their salesman likely even less. Most owners, especially the ones here, likely know a lot about their coaches.
That has been my experience.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 08-22-2013

I would want to talk to the current owner...
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 08-23-2013

I have found dealers know zip about Wanderlodges. Best bet is to talk to the owner as suggested before or have an experienced bird owner help you check one out... Where are you located? There is probably someone nearby to help you.
Old 08-23-2013

I bought mine while on consignment at Holland Motorhome in San Diego. They have since moved to San Marcos. Bottom line, they did everything we asked. All was written down on a sales document and completed. Major service, new Michelin tires and numerous repairs/updates. No complaints from me. They used to sell BlueBirds new and still sell a used one occasionally. My sale was the third time they had sold my BMC.

It was nice that both previous owners were local and had the coach serviced at Holland so the records were available.

I did have questions about the valve adjustment and contacted Cummins West in San Diego and they were able to research the service by the engine serial number and found the info I needed.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 08-23-2013

There are a few dealers who still have someone on staff who knows Wanderlodges. They are typically the dealerships that used to be BB dealers. If using a dealer ask if they will have the previous owner contact you. They typically will not give out the owners name but will sometimes have him contact you. Also you can always post photos, the coach name, or a link to it and someone on the form may be able to give you info. I have bought coaches from both a dealer and individuals. With an individual you can usually negotiate the price to cover needed repairs, tires, batteries, etc. With a dealer I have been able to do some price negotiation plus get needed repairs done within the purchase price. Please note that I have only dealt with people who had knowledgeable BB techs on their staff.
2001 LXI
1996 43' Wanderlodge
1989 PT 40
1982 PT 40
Old 08-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
I bought mine while on consignment at Holland Motorhome in San Diego. They have since moved to San Marcos. Bottom line, they did everything we asked. All was written down on a sales document and completed. Major service, new Michelin tires and numerous repairs/updates. No complaints from me. They used to sell BlueBirds new and still sell a used one occasionally. My sale was the third time they had sold my BMC.

It was nice that both previous owners were local and had the coach serviced at Holland so the records were available.

I did have questions about the valve adjustment and contacted Cummins West in San Diego and they were able to research the service by the engine serial number and found the info I needed.
I would say that Holland is an exception. I had an airbag replaced there (San Marcos) last winter and they are very Blue Bird knowledgeable. In fact, one guy there worked at Blue Bird and recognized my coach and remembered when it was sold!

Old 08-23-2013
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelblueartemis View Post
what is everyone's experience with either?

I've found a couple of wanderlodges on a couple of dealer sites, and have found that either people don't respond to emails, or have a rather snippy attitude when you ask specific questions...
I seem to have better experience (thus far) dealing with private sellers (one of whom is a member of this group.

your thoughts?
Same as yours... Dealers just want it sold and make the profit. Owners know much more about it and just want their money out of it, they're not making a living at it. My experience has shown I'd much rather deal with the owner or Randy so I get the real story and some comfort in knowing I'll make it home ok after the purchase.

Case-n-point. One of our AZ members sold a coach that had issues on the way home to the new buyer's house. Totally unexpected failure, the seller split the cost of repair with the new owner. Not bad since there is no warranty implied, just good ole fashion honest people.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 08-23-2013

My opinion is buy here . Buybye Bird. I did a "lot" that told me little and backed up nothing . Members here have known rigs and Randy does a great job connecting the buyer and seller. It can be an adventure finally purchasing one. Mine was a 2700 mile adventure home. I loved it. The coach questions get answered quickly and most accurately. The only way to buy.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."

Last edited by biobug; 08-23-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2013

Having worked in the used truck business, I can tell you that dealers have a lot of overhead somebody has to pay for: offices, real estate, staff, commissions, and floor plan (the cost of financing all those new and used vehicles while they sit on the lot waiting for buyers). Plus profit.

All Wanderlodges are by default used vehicles so they come to the dealer by trade in, auction, or consignment. The dealer is generally going to inspect it prior to taking the trade/consignment to make sure there are no obvious major surprises; other than that they wash the vehicle, fix minor cosmetic items and then try to move the metal.

In most cases the selling dealer does not/can not know more about the vehicle than the buyer does. Was the previous owner upgrading, or running away from a mechanical nightmare? Is the engine about to come apart; does the roof leak when it rains; were the pipes frozen and cracked last winter; did the PO believe that oil changes are a waste of money? In many cases there is no way for a dealer to know when they take the vehicle in on trade.

Generally the dealer is more concerned about making a profit (as they should) than about delivering a pristine motor vehicle.

Dealers make money in the space between how low they can buy the vehicle and how high they can sell it. Prior to the internet buyers had very little information about trade in, wholesale or retail values. Now a smart shopper can look at sellers on Craigslist, ebay, and other venues and compare that to what dealers are asking at retail. Shoppers can also get good information on values from KBB, insurance companies, and their bank. This information can compress the margins between wholesale (trade in, auction) and retail prices.

If you can bypass the dealer you are usually better off financially but you are taking on a little more risk in that the dealer hopefully inspected (and made needed repairs) to the trade in prior to putting it up for sale...but there is no guarantee that happened in any particular case.

I bought my 'bird from a dealer (Buddy Gregg in Knoxville); I made an aggressive offer that they took, probably because they had only had it for one day (the PO was still there and I got to meet them) so they had very little time and money invested; for them it was a quick flip.

My personal bottom line is that dealers aggregate vehicles into one location that makes buying and selling easy and gives many buyers a feeling of security, but that comes at a price. If you are willing to pay for that you should. But with knowledge, expertise and analysis you find better values on your own if you put in the work.

Last edited by Labrador; 08-23-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Bad grammar.