Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 05-25-2014

Default re-connecting alternator

Hope you all are having a good holiday weekend!

When I bought my coach this Feb. I was told the alternator under the bedroom was not working and had been disconnected. I/we made it back to Oregon from florida on one alternator with no problem. Now I am in the process of replacing it and the compressor coolant hoses. Hoses are done and alternator is in the concern I have is my ability to burn things up even when I try not to. I have looked at the diagrams and tried to read wire numbers I am ALMOST convinced I know what I am doing, So I thought I shoould ask someone who does know what they are doing to confirm or tell me I am wrong.

Hopefully I attached a picture showing the shunt and wire I am connecting, I read the print as connecting Alt. A to Alt B shunt that does not make any since to me but that is the way my prints read. If the pic does not come through it is the bottom lug of the lower right shunt on the panel board directly above the engine batteries.

So if my ramblings confused everyone the shor tof it is.
1. Alternator below bedroom was disconnected in engine compartment and not operational.
2. bought new 160 amp alternator installed and am trying to reconnect the wire in the engine compartment to the correct location.
3. My prints show Alt A being connected to Alt B shunt, is that just a typo from BB or what???
4.attached pic (I hope) shows alt. wire next to shunt I believe to be correct Yellow wire on the shunt does show a #6.

Any help as always is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0901[1].jpg
Views:	256
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	29065  
Old 05-25-2014
Million-mile trucker

Default Alternator Connection

I'm a little too far away from my '88 right now to look, (It's in Oregon, I'm in Indiana...) but I think both my alternators are connected to the same shunt. The battery charger is also connected to that same shunt so that the dash gauge sees the charge rate of either the charger or alternator.

Edward Colburn
Hood River, OR
1988 WB40
8V92TA, HT755CR
Old 05-25-2014
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbb View Post
Hope you all are having a good holiday weekend!

When I bought my coach this Feb. I was told the alternator under the bedroom was not working and had been disconnected. I/we made it back to Oregon from florida on one alternator with no problem. Now I am in the process of replacing it and the compressor coolant hoses. Hoses are done and alternator is in the concern I have is my ability to burn things up even when I try not to. I have looked at the diagrams and tried to read wire numbers I am ALMOST convinced I know what I am doing, So I thought I shoould ask someone who does know what they are doing to confirm or tell me I am wrong.

Hopefully I attached a picture showing the shunt and wire I am connecting, I read the print as connecting Alt. A to Alt B shunt that does not make any since to me but that is the way my prints read. If the pic does not come through it is the bottom lug of the lower right shunt on the panel board directly above the engine batteries.

So if my ramblings confused everyone the shor tof it is.
1. Alternator below bedroom was disconnected in engine compartment and not operational.
2. bought new 160 amp alternator installed and am trying to reconnect the wire in the engine compartment to the correct location.
3. My prints show Alt A being connected to Alt B shunt, is that just a typo from BB or what???
4.attached pic (I hope) shows alt. wire next to shunt I believe to be correct Yellow wire on the shunt does show a #6.

Any help as always is appreciated!
Hi Brian,

Assuming that your shunt panel is the same as mine, the loose wire in your picture should be coming from the alternator that’s under the bedroom floor and it should attach to the shunt that you have it positioned over in your picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alt Shunts 2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	29068  
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 05-25-2014

Yes john that wire is from the alt. below the bedroom, thank you much that is just what I was looking for. Do you know why the prints show alt. A being connected to alt. B shunt?

Ed thanks for the response I believe they made some changes between 88 and 91, your missing a beautiful spring in Oregon! Getting to be more and more of us out here we really should try to get together!
Old 05-25-2014

Quote:
Yes john that wire is from the alt. below the bedroom, thank you much that is just what I was looking for. Do you know why the prints show alt. A being connected to alt. B shunt?

Ed thanks for the response I believe they made some changes between 88 and 91, your missing a beautiful spring in Oregon! Getting to be more and more of us out here we really should try to get together!
Hi Brian,

Because they are.... If you look at the picture in Post #3 you can see that those two shunts are connected together at the top via a bus bar.
Body Number F095567

Old 05-25-2014

Here is my wiring drawing for the alternators/shunts/batteries on my 1990 WB.

Hope this helps make it a little clearer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Buss Bars Drawing 1990 WB.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	29071  
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 05-25-2014

Thanks John! Guess I am just a little confused why they call it alt. b shunt. since they are connected as you point out I am also curious what the purpose is having both shunts? Guess that is why I enjoy this bird so much, so much to learn. Thanks for all the help and those arrows on my picture are great!
Old 05-25-2014

If you didn't run a thru a shunt and b thru b shunt, how would you be able to tell if the alt was working?? You got to have 2 shunt to get the info.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-25-2014

Quote:
Thanks John! Guess I am just a little confused why they call it alt. b shunt. since they are connected as you point out I am also curious what the purpose is having both shunts? Guess that is why I enjoy this bird so much, so much to learn. Thanks for all the help and those arrows on my picture are great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
If you didn't run a thru a shunt and b thru b shunt, how would you be able to tell if the alt was working?? You got to have 2 shunt to get the info.

Like Rick said, the Alt Shunts are set up like that so that you can use the switch on the dash to see what Alt A is putting out or what Alt B is putting out or what Alt A and Alt B are putting out together. Barry’s drawing shows pretty clearly how the Alt Shunts are interconnected. If you study your charging schematic you should be able to see how thats done via a few Bosch relays, etc.
Body Number F095567

Old 05-25-2014
Million-mile trucker

Huh... That is different than mine! I only have the one charge-rate gauge on my dash, and no way to tell which alternator (or battery charger) is doing the charging.

Edward Colburn
Hood River, OR
1988 WB40
8V92TA, HT755CR