Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 06-11-2011

Default Puddle under my Bird

Well, it had to happen. My first glitch!

Sharlene and I pulled the Bird out today to head to the drag strip. As I pulled out, she alerted me to a puddle of fluid that had been under the Bird. I crawled under and found fluid dripping from the front corner of the transmission pan on the drivers side. A closer look showed that is was leaking from above that spot but I could not get up there to check it (was getting dark). Tomorrow, I will go back over and take a closer look and check the trans fluid (when I find where the stick is)!

The races were postponed and I will report back!

Ken
"The Great Escape"
1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65
http://kenshar.blogspot.com

-.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. ... -- works only in .... . .- ...- . -. where they don't need it, and in .... . .-.. .-.. where they've already got it.
Old 06-11-2011

OK, I've cooled off, showered and poured a cold beverage. Thinking back, the belts squeaked a little when I turned the wheel to pull out. Maybe this is power steering related?
"The Great Escape"
1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65

-.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. ... -- works only in .... . .- ...- . -. where they don't need it, and in .... . .-.. .-.. where they've already got it.
Old 06-11-2011

Don't think you will find anything related to the Power Steering in that location. Since it's leaking at the Transmission Pan, pretty sure it will be the Transmission leaking.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 06-11-2011

Hi Rick
Thanks for the input. The fluid is leaking from somewhere above the transmission pan. It is just dripping at the lowest point. I was maybe thinking that there might be a power steering hose in the area that was leaking. Probably just wishful thinking but I should know more tomorrow during daylight. The fluid was Dexron but that could be in the steering or transmission.
"The Great Escape"
1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65

Old 06-12-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4swk View Post
OK, I've cooled off, showered and poured a cold beverage. Thinking back, the belts squeaked a little when I turned the wheel to pull out. Maybe this is power steering related?
Ken,

The power steering squealing when turning the steering wheel is usually due to to belt not being adjusted tight enough and the CAT 3208 power steering pump does not perform very well when you try to turn the wheel while not moving, the adjustment of the belts on a CAT 3208 is very critical in order to get the best performance from the belts and it is very common for the belts to not be adjusted either tight enough or not the correct way, doing it the incorrect way can be very costly as I have first hand experience with this problem, so take the time to familiarize yourself with this thread below and pay special attention to the pounds of tension required on the belts.

You will notice that there is a lot of reference to the FC models in this thread but the CAT 3208 in an SP is very similar to the one that is found in the later model FC, it is just turned around.

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine > CAT 3208 BELT NUMBERS and their PROPER ADJUSTMENT

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-12-2011
ANOTHER REDNECK

john is correct

hard to keep them from slipping

you have a power steering lines on the frame in that area but it could be the trans for sure
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 06-12-2011

First thanks john and woody. I checked the granny fluid today while cold. The level is a few inches above the Max line which makes me think the level is way too high. The fluid appears to be coming from a filler spout up on the tranny .
"The Great Escape"
1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65

Old 06-12-2011

Hmm SP, there is the issue of the heat exchanger that is mounted on the back side of the trans, known to leak and add coolant to the trans fluid level, which is not good.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 06-12-2011

Forgot to add. We just bought the bird and they "serviced" it before we picked it up. I read horror stories about folks that are unsure about what they are doing.
"The Great Escape"
1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65

Old 06-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4swk View Post
First thanks john and woody. I checked the granny fluid today while cold. The level is a few inches above the Max line which makes me think the level is way too high. The fluid appears to be coming from a filler spout up on the tranny .

Ken, How did you check it cold? Was the engine running with the transmission in netural?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656