Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 01-02-2018

Default Primus and more

Looking at a few BB's. When did they start using Primus as a source of heat. If a coach has the Primus system do they eliminate the Suburban heaters? Our dynasty has an Aqua Hot 600 series and I love it. But the AH also has an electric element. AH's are very expensive to repair. What about the Pimus. hard to fix? Batteries: Our FC had 6 6 volts plus a 12 volt for the genset. Worked OK but the FC is not an energy hog like later models of BB's. I see some WB40's with 4 12 volts and the genset battery. Then I see some with 8 12 volt, 2 starting and one for the genset. Do any of them have a means of splitting the batteries? Thanks

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 01-02-2018
Goat rails in the sunset

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Looking at a few BB's. When did they start using Primus as a source of heat. If a coach has the Primus system do they eliminate the Suburban heaters? Our dynasty has an Aqua Hot 600 series and I love it. But the AH also has an electric element. AH's are very expensive to repair. What about the Pimus. hard to fix?
Bruce, Primus burns LPG and is supplemented by a couple of 1500 watt 120v Cadet heaters under cabinetry. Some Primus installations have integral electric heaters in the circulating coolant loops. Price of maintenance/repair parts is moderate—the LP solenoid on each model 2490 boiler is probably the most regular replace item, every year or three, for something like $200 each from Dupree products. Service is relatively easy. Keeping the boiler loops free of air and full of coolant is key, as is keeping an eye on gas solenoid contacts clean and tight, other maintenance is rarely needed. Solenoid problems announce themselves not very plainly sometimes with pops or intermittent failure to light off, you can clean connections or ultimately replace to cure.

Lots of Primus owners are unhappy with reliabilty and performance, and some undertake conversion to diesel-fired Webasto boiler and report greater satisfaction but more noise and diesel odors. Interest in Primus mods has been higher in recent years—you can find threads on WOG about converting the original 2-loop coolant design into 1-loop, adding an Extend-A-Stay adapter for external LP tank, changing the circ pumps to a more powerful schoolbus-heat circ pump, adding integral electric heaters based on home store pipe and water heating elements, hacking functionality of electronic Primus controls, as well as reams of discussion about typical problems resulting from failing gas solenoids, air in coolant circulation system, and other basic issues arising from deferred or neglected maintenance.

Primus + Cadet heater can work well enough but are marginal if you want to be toasty in a hurry in freezing weather. The diesel conversion seems much admired for its quick and sufficient ability to heat a coach. Not much info here about maintenance costs and problems with the Webasto, i think the general concensus is that they’re more reliable and trouble-free. I expect that revising a Primus convection system with a Webasto boiler still requires vigilant topping up of coolant, but (significantly) frees owners from need for weekly LPG fill-ups—my Primus will use a chassistank of LP in 4-6 days when warding off freezing temps.

Hope this helps.
Full-time in 2019

Last edited by nbedinger; 01-02-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: love to edit