Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-31-2017

"2. I use no more than 40-50 amps in my water pump compartment and wash/utility compartment. Anything larger than 40-50 amps get too hot and could present a fire issue. If you have trouble finding the lamp style bulbs, 40-50 amp decorative incandescent bulbs with a conventional base will work fine. The new "green" bulbs are worthless. Do not use the small heat/flood lamp bulbs - they are a fire hazard if used to provide small place heat . "

Think you meant WATTS, Tommy. A 50 amp bulb would use about 6,000 watts. Would turn your bay compartment into a tanning suite.

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 12-31-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.wernlein View Post
Random cold weather tips from an FC owner. May not apply to all types/years:

1: For those using the old trick of a incandescent light bulb in a confined space: A common farm device is a "Thermocube". A plug adapter that turns items plugged into it on/off depending on temperature. This way your heater/light is not on when temps do not present a freeze hazard - extends bulb life. I use Rugged Service type bulbs. Also use a metal shop light and use only 60 watt bulbs.

An example:
https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...rds=thermocube

2: IF the interior of the bus is heated...in the FC it is a good practice to leave the little access door open at the vanity...lets heat into the plumbing run. Ensure your low point drain/outside spigot (at propane bay) interior valve located here is OFF and spigot line drained.

3: Winter camping? Run the Icemaker...it produces a good bit of heat for the plumbing around the sink cabinet.

4: Cold intrusion from single pane windows? Make fitted Reflectix panels that fit into window recess. Small velcro self adhesive pads can keep the panels in place. You can line one side with decorative fabric using spray adhesive if you want pretty. Easy to place, easy to remove and store. Great for those side windows in the rear twin FC setup.

Store bought windshield fitted sunscreen panels of this material help a lot at the windshield behind the OEM venetian blinds.

Reflectix example: https://www.amazon.com/Reflectix-ST1...ords=reflectix

5: The most exposed drain is the shower. After use, add some antifreeze to it...salt, pink, whatever.
Like Mike said all good advice Frank. I have a Thermocube and use it as directed but failed to mention it in my post. It works like it is designed and only comes on when needed. Great little device.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 12-31-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
Wanderlodge Coaches are fairly insulated but precautions must be taken.

8. I would question the wisdom of putting salt in your waste water and gray water tanks.
Just curious... Why?

/Joe

'93 WB40, Alligator - FOR SALE!
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 12-31-2017
Forum owner

all of the tour buses use rock salt while using the Dupree Valves,so i can see no harm in it,as far as equipment goes.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-01-2018

We picked up 4 boxes of ice cream salt and I made a few large pots full of warm water and dissolved the salt in them and put it in the toilet, shower, bath sink and kitchen sink.

We are staying warm inside so far.

Have a full tank of water and water hose is unhooked and drained. The hot water heater is on.

The park is full and we have some kids staying across from us and they are running around knocking on doors and running.
They just did it to use and the people next to us I watched them run back in their trailer. Parents must be out someplace.
(352) 277-1494
Website Designer / Photographerr
http://goactivemedia.com

1992 WLWB
Old 01-01-2018

Sorry many times I just read it and do what is needed if I can we have been on the road a lot. And I have had neck and back problems so some days I do not get much done.

I used the info about the radiator door locks and ordered the parts using the info that was provided and then I had to drill out the old ones and I have 3 news one put in now.
I will make a point to reply back to everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Lots of us have noticed you don't check back in.
That seems to be your M.O.

When that happens people just get the feeling you don't really need help and they go help someone else.
Its human nature..
(352) 277-1494
Website Designer / Photographerr
http://goactivemedia.com

1992 WLWB
Old 01-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by konehd View Post
Just curious... Why?

/Joe
Joe:

I am not sure what the White Hat Guy was referring to, but here are my thoughts.

At maximum salt concentration, salt water will freeze at -5 degrees F.

Any damage to the container while freezing occurs will depend on the shape of the container, the rate of freezing, and is there room for the ice to expand unrestricted.

For instance, when I replaced my hot water heater, the owner's manual said not to be concerned about freezing the gallon of water that remained in the tank below the drain valve. I assumed this is because the water heater is a horizontal cylindrical tank with domed ends. This configuration allows the expanding ice to slide up the sides without damage.

Once you get into situations beyond this with pipe and tanks in a cold soak situation where there is no opportunity to add any heat, do you want to risk the -5 degree threshold with brine or the -40 degree pink stuff?

Cheers and have a Happy New Year

len.mcleod@gmail.com
Old 01-01-2018

The few time I've been caught in freezing temp, I've used salt in the holding tanks and windshield washer fluid in the drains.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 01-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDM680 View Post
Joe:

I am not sure what the White Hat Guy was referring to, but here are my thoughts.

At maximum salt concentration, salt water will freeze at -5 degrees F.

Any damage to the container while freezing occurs will depend on the shape of the container, the rate of freezing, and is there room for the ice to expand unrestricted.

For instance, when I replaced my hot water heater, the owner's manual said not to be concerned about freezing the gallon of water that remained in the tank below the drain valve. I assumed this is because the water heater is a horizontal cylindrical tank with domed ends. This configuration allows the expanding ice to slide up the sides without damage.

Once you get into situations beyond this with pipe and tanks in a cold soak situation where there is no opportunity to add any heat, do you want to risk the -5 degree threshold with brine or the -40 degree pink stuff?

Cheers and have a Happy New Year
And it takes like 2 and a quarter POUNDS of salt per gallon of water to get this protection. Just think how much salt you really need. I use salt too, but I think it's just a mental thing. Don't think I ever put in enough to even protect the lines from the tanks to the valves.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 01-01-2018
Forum owner

I have never winterized or used rock salt.
Theres plenty of room down here where normally its pretty warm.
Today? its a little nippy.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com