Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-24-2018

Default rodent damage

Who has a cure for rodents that like to eat wires on a 20yr old coach?
Mac and I lived on board full time for 10 yrs... we had to move in a house to be close to DR's... two weeks later rodents must have moved in the coach and ate almost 2 grand of wire... never happened before...

So what do you do to keep them away?

Thanks in any advice that may help
"Heads Carolina, Tails California"
Old 03-24-2018
Beemer Tourer

First thing is to totally eliminate exterior access. Seal everything as tight as possible ([steel wool works well] sandwiched by closed cell spray-on foam as an adhesive to those larger areas) then whatever means you are comfortable with to end the little buggers lives.
Old 03-24-2018

I've had really good success with a product I get at Rural King but it is also sold at Tractor Supply. It is a mouse and rat poison that comes in a small plastic pail for about $20-25 bucks. Spread it around cabinets, closets, corners and problem areas where they like to gather in the coach. It comes in two forms-one is the little paper packets with small granules in them and the other is in small bars about the size of a bar of soap-you WANT the bar of soap size-much less messy. Then treat the area where coach is parked-hopefully you have an inside storage facility but if you're parked outside start chucking them under the bus. It has a little odor which I think attract the rodents. It has worked well in my barns here in the midwest-don't imagine it's good for cats and dogs but hey they weren't doing their job!
Kansas, Il
Old 03-24-2018

Eddie, To me the most important part of catching these little buggers is to catch them before they get into the coach. Once inside they may feast on about anything before getting to your bait and once they do, they may die inside. That smell can be almost as bad as them getting into wires. Anyway, if you take a couple of 5 gal. buckets and put one at the front of the bus and another at the rear you will most likely catch them before they get in. Here is a link to how to make them and I can tell you, not only from my personal experience, but from several others, it works.http://fivegallonideas.com/bucket-mouse-trap/

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN