Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 06-04-2009

Default FC couch fabric...time to update?

On our FC we have the twin couches. The fabric appears to be OEM, sort of a blue/tan flame pattern which is starting to show some wear. Likely as not, my next big project will be getting these two couches recovered.

In looking at the couches, from what I can see, this is not going to be a simple job. You can't easily remove the couches...and the way the cushions are attached and the way one couch is folded, seems a lot of fabric would be used.

Has anyone kept the basic design and function of the OEM units and had them recovered? What does this type of work cost? Any photos of completed jobs? Any shops in the mid atlantic area that can be recommended?

Thanks for any ideas or information!

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 06-04-2009

Default FC Couch

Give Murliel's Upholstery Shop in Fort Valley a call. She worked for BlueBird for many years and likely did the original upholstery in your coach. Quality work from her shop.

(478) 825-8483

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 06-04-2009

I had ours redone/rebuilt locally. Did a great job, went from one couch and two chairs to two couches. Our guy rebuilt the backs with new wood and new foam, he re carpeted the lower section of the couches, dinette and bed, he also re carpeted the Cat house and pilot/copilot area. We covered the couches in a new fake leather of some type(I'm not the fabric guy) Total job ran 6K, we are very happy.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 06-04-2009

Hi Chris,

Since we need to get our couch recovered, we've been talking about getting rid of the 2 chairs and table on the passenger side and going to 2 couches. A lot of times we pull into a rest area and just want to put up our feet for a while and watch the big screen TV. The bed room generally is a bit warmer than the living area. So doesn't lend itself to a short nap right after driving for 6 or 8 hours. We think 2 couches is the way to go. What did you use for the second couch?

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 06-05-2009

Default Couch Removal and Recovering

I'm sorry I don't have pictures but we took out our bed/couch and had it recoverd while putting in a wood floor. Getting it out wasn't too hard it just took some time and came apart in sections when the bolts were removed from the floor. I don't know if BMC couches and Wanderloge couches are the same. I had already traded the non bed/couch (fake leather) for a cabinet and chair. That one came out in three sections and was fairly easy to get out as well. And it was a lot lighter to get out.

Our bed/couch was originally covered with that kind of shiny multicolored fabric used also on the valences, bedspread, and 13 decorative pillows. Nice looking but it didn't hold up well on the couch. We replaced it with some high level fairly expensive commercial fabric (long wearing) that looks very nice. As I recall it took about 10 yards of material and was done very well by a local shop in Kingsport TN for a total of $660. The guy was about the best around and we had to plan and call 6 months in advamce to get on the schedule.

We checked with Murial when in Georgia for the RIV in 2007 and, although I understand she does excellent work, found she was quite a bit more expensive. If you have a really good local place who does excellent work I suspect they will be less expensive than Murial.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 06-05-2009

Default Two Couches

As a follow up to my last note, I realize that sometimes two couches are nice, but going from two couches to one with a cabinet and recliner gave us more room. It gave me room to put in a small bookcase as well. And inside it is visually bigger as well. And with no slides, that is important. And we don't typically have big groups inside believing the mantra that our bus

Serves drinks for 6
Serves food for 4
And sleeps two

The couch we took out was custom made to fit around the window, and I suspect would be quite expensive. I wouldn't go back to two couches but I realize everyone has different needs.

Best,

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 06-05-2009
Can't re-member

Frank,

My wife recovered both of our couches and the dinette herself. I watched her do it but I couldn't start to give details. She would be glad to share tips and experience if that helps....

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.wernlein View Post
On our FC we have the twin couches. The fabric appears to be OEM, sort of a blue/tan flame pattern which is starting to show some wear. Likely as not, my next big project will be getting these two couches recovered.

In looking at the couches, from what I can see, this is not going to be a simple job. You can't easily remove the couches...and the way the cushions are attached and the way one couch is folded, seems a lot of fabric would be used.

Has anyone kept the basic design and function of the OEM units and had them recovered? What does this type of work cost? Any photos of completed jobs? Any shops in the mid atlantic area that can be recommended?

Thanks for any ideas or information!

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 06-05-2009
Forum owner

John S,you are a lucky man! hahahaa!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-05-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynavion View Post
Frank,

My wife recovered both of our couches and the dinette herself. I watched her do it but I couldn't start to give details. She would be glad to share tips and experience if that helps....

John
John & Gladys could travel and recover Birds on the road. Meet up with Ernie and do the whole deal.
Old 06-09-2009

Just one word in addition what everyone has said. I had my couch redone and the fellow did a very professional job. I advised me to replace the foam padding when the job was done. He said if you recover using the old padding that the job will not hold up well. Of course you are going to spend more but I believe that to do the job right you do need to make certain the foundation is in good shape. I spent about $750 doing the front couch. I only did two out of the three pieces because I did not intend to use the couch as it was originally designed by BB. With the three pieces in-place the couch would make out into a full queen size bed. But it also would completely block access to the front of the bus requiring that you had to literally crawl over the bed to get to the controls or to the forward seating area. I didn't need that large of a bed so Ethel and I decided to make it a smaller sleeper. It's larger then a twin but not as large as a double but works much better for us. My point if I had done the entire couch all three sections it would have been about $1000 to replace the foam padding and to recover.

Replace the foam I think you will be much happier in the long run.

As to the particulars of how the couch is attached. Pretty much fastened with screws which you remove by laying on the floor and reaching under the thing and removing from the frame. I removed the big metal hinge which attaches the two back pieces together and just did away with that. Once you have the screws out you will be able to lift the sections off and remove them from the bus. This is pretty routine stuff for the upholstery people. As a DIY project ? I don't think so. Put it depends on your experience and also your goals. Fabric ain't cheap so I didn't mind paying for the labor to have it done professionally. My couch is better then new. Nice to be rid of some of that late seventies early eighties fabric as well. Blue bird used good materials but they did find some rather odd fabric patterns. Maybe it was right on for the times.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by bubblerboy64; 06-09-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: add additional information