Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Tell Us Where You're At

Tell Us Where You're At As you travel around the country, why not take the time to tell our members where you have settled for the night, week, or month. There may be another member close by, that would like to meet you, so put that information right here.

Site Search:

Old 06-14-2009

Wink You need problems to appreciate the good times

The plan is to leave at 7 am and drive 500 miles to Flying J in South Carolina to refuel and rest. We leave at 6:47 am and arrive at the Flying J at 5 pm. 80 gallons of fuel at $2.45 per gallon. For the first time in my life, there was no one at the RV island, so we decided to use it. I send Sue in with $200.00, credit card and Flying J card, so that I would be assured of getting the cash price. Sue uses the credit card and gets the cash price, so you know I am happy, however, my money is still missing. As we park, I realize that there is still 5 hours of daylight. What am I going to do for the next 5 hours before I goto sleep?

A command decision is made to forge ahead and drive a few more miles, which ended up being 200 more miles, because of difficulty finding a camp ground that meets my criterior, you know cheap. A wreck causes a 10 to 15 mile back up and my fuel mileage drops faster than lead weight. It is 7 pm, so we decided to find a camp ground. Pass port America failed me. No campgrounds withing our driving distance or route. So now I am prepared to spend more. Sue Calls the KOA at the junction of 77 and 81. They have a pull through. After Sue gives them all our information, She informs me it is $50.00 and I respond immediately, **** no. Sue appoligizes and cancels our site. She calls another campground and they have to check and see if any thing is avalilable that will accommadate a 43 foot bus with a 22 foot tow vehicle in a pull through. They call us back with the good news, $22 and they have a site. However, we are 3 miles past their exit. Sue apologizes again. Sue keeps calling and we decide if we can find a truck stop, we will stop. Sue makes one last call to Christianburg, Va. They have a space with a pull through and it is $24.00. We take it. We arrive just as it gets dark. They take us to the back, sharp riight turn, sharp left turn and then down a steep one lane road with trees scrapping the side of the coach. A 180 degree turn at the base and I am in the camping area that they had dug out of the side of the mountain. Oh yes, We did not see any pull throughs. The outside temperature has been 95 degrees and so we promply turn on the AC's. Pow! No elecricity. I check our breaker and it is good. I espy the main panel, so I check it out. Sure enough, the main breaker has popped, so I reset it. We run 1 AC the rest of the night. I decide just to use the roof sat and just watch 119 channels. After an hour, we decide that we do not need TV and of course, the digital age started today.

The next morning, we determine that we can easily make Hershey, Pa, so I say lets make reservations before we leave. Our park has room Sunday night, but not tonight. Sue states in a very authoritative manner that there is no way in **** she is staying here. tonight. The park is really not that great. While, unhooking the electric, I see where I almost got stuck the night before (it had just quit raining before we arrived) and I still may have trouble At 8:30 we pull out with tow car attached. The coach and car made the turn last night, it will make the 180 degree turn going almost straight up this morning. Wrong! Well, I make the turn, but my outside drive wheel goes onto the grass and begins to spin. The grass with with wet clay underneath is slighly higher than the paved road that the inside tire is on. Tree limb in my face and tow car at a 45 degree angle to the coach. I get out and tell Sue to get in the truck to keep the front tires turned correctly and I will back up. As I leave to get back into the coach, I see everyone in the park has got in their cars and are line up to leave. One thing I am sure of, they will not leave until I do, because I have the only way out blocked. I attempt to back up, but the tires go 90 degrees, so I stop. I get out and attempt to staighten the tires. I see the problem, Sue did not crank the truck. I crank the truck and straighten the tires. I try again, but the same result. Not but one thing to do, unhook the truck. With the cars lined up waiting to get out, I attempt to unhook quickly. However, the pins are in a bind and they will not move (remember the truck is 45 degrees to the motor home and on a steep incline.) I go to the tool box for my hammer. I open the door and all my sand paper, TV cable, car wash, etc falls out. The coach is leaning quite noticable to that side. Armed with the hammer, I hammer out the first pin. I hammer the other pin until the end is even with bracket and it will not move. I attempt to use the other pin to loosen it. It is difficult to drive a pin with a 45 degree bend. Finally I get it out, but now the bracket arm will not release. I hit it with the hammer. It does not move. I ask Sue to put truck in drive. Nothing. She accidentally rolls backwards and the arm releases. I tell her to go, So, she back the truck up to where I must put the motor home. Sue is smart, as soon as she sees the motor home about to hit her, she will move. Well, she does, but not immediately. I bet the people waiting to get out had some evil thoughts about this. Finally, I back out enough so the cars can get out, which they do immediately. Not one of those people offered to help.

With a running start, I get the coach up the road hitting tree limbs as I go. We connect truck at the top and in a place that we are sure we can make it to the road. Sue checks the lights etc., but can not get the dome light to go out. After reading the manual, attempting a few things, we lock the truck and the dome light goes out. Sue is beginning to feel that this park from **** will not let us leave. I am of the opinion that I had better be extra careful, because the MOJO is not on my side.

About 2 hours into the trip, I become sleepy and my posterior begins to burn. I put on a bathing suit that morning, because the shorts I had on yesterday were very tight. I had been driving with the shorts unzipped and the belt loosely latched. I forgot about this at Flying J and I found out that with a big stomach, if you reach up, the shorts will drop to your ankles. The bathing suit, while large enough, causes you to sweat and that was the source of my discomfort. We stop at a rest stop. I wash my face and my posterior (in that order by the way). I decide that if we apply some alcohol, that may further alleviate the discomfort. Sue brought new meaning to the Brylcreme commercial saying that a "Little DAB will do you". I have got to teach Sue the technique of dab and wait. I have a theory that if you activate enough pain receptors at the same time that you will pass out. Sue almost proved my theory!

Sue made reservations at Artillery Camp Ground in Gettysburg, PA. Everything is going ok until we realize we have to go through the heart of Gettysburg with two turns. Cars parked wall to wall with tour buses hogging the road. I thought Deland was bad, but this is a night mare. I basically lined up the coach and prayed it was wide enough. Fortunately it was. Another jackass, going in the opposite direction (in a Blue Bird BMC) saw me and began to grin ear to ear and waved fanically. Sue said he brought new meaning to a happy camper. I told her the guy was a nut and was relieved to see that he wasn't the only idiot here.

The camp ground was another story, but let it suffice to say we moved because a bird had a nest in the middle of our site. The bird made it clear that she was ready to do battle, so I found another site. The other site was great except that my jacks dissappeared from sight and I maybe struck. However, I will find out tommorrow, because we extended out stay another night.

We were able to See Dick Hopper and had a wonderful dinner with them.

I have lost my glasses and my eyes are burning and I am having difficulty seeing the sceen, so I say good day.

We leave for Hershey tomorrow.

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 06-14-2009
Forum owner

hahahaa! good story Richard,keep us advised on if you are stuck or not!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-14-2009
Gardner

Richard,
After several campground experiences, one where I wound up on a foot path in the woods after taking a wrong turn in the dark, we now unhook the toad and my wife drives to the site and surveys the route and probability we can actually get in.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-14-2009

Wsn't me, I'm in South Dakota black hills. Some other nut/jackass in the BMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmar View Post
The plan is to leave at 7 am and drive 500 miles to Flying J in South Carolina to refuel and rest. We leave at 6:47 am and arrive at the Flying J at 5 pm. 80 gallons of fuel at $2.45 per gallon. For the first time in my life, there was no one at the RV island, so we decided to use it. I send Sue in with $200.00, credit card and Flying J card, so that I would be assured of getting the cash price. Sue uses the credit card and gets the cash price, so you know I am happy, however, my money is still missing. As we park, I realize that there is still 5 hours of daylight. What am I going to do for the next 5 hours before I goto sleep?

A command decision is made to forge ahead and drive a few more miles, which ended up being 200 more miles, because of difficulty finding a camp ground that meets my criterior, you know cheap. A wreck causes a 10 to 15 mile back up and my fuel mileage drops faster than lead weight. It is 7 pm, so we decided to find a camp ground. Pass port America failed me. No campgrounds withing our driving distance or route. So now I am prepared to spend more. Sue Calls the KOA at the junction of 77 and 81. They have a pull through. After Sue gives them all our information, She informs me it is $50.00 and I respond immediately, **** no. Sue appoligizes and cancels our site. She calls another campground and they have to check and see if any thing is avalilable that will accommadate a 43 foot bus with a 22 foot tow vehicle in a pull through. They call us back with the good news, $22 and they have a site. However, we are 3 miles past their exit. Sue apologizes again. Sue keeps calling and we decide if we can find a truck stop, we will stop. Sue makes one last call to Christianburg, Va. They have a space with a pull through and it is $24.00. We take it. We arrive just as it gets dark. They take us to the back, sharp riight turn, sharp left turn and then down a steep one lane road with trees scrapping the side of the coach. A 180 degree turn at the base and I am in the camping area that they had dug out of the side of the mountain. Oh yes, We did not see any pull throughs. The outside temperature has been 95 degrees and so we promply turn on the AC's. Pow! No elecricity. I check our breaker and it is good. I espy the main panel, so I check it out. Sure enough, the main breaker has popped, so I reset it. We run 1 AC the rest of the night. I decide just to use the roof sat and just watch 119 channels. After an hour, we decide that we do not need TV and of course, the digital age started today.

The next morning, we determine that we can easily make Hershey, Pa, so I say lets make reservations before we leave. Our park has room Sunday night, but not tonight. Sue states in a very authoritative manner that there is no way in **** she is staying here. tonight. The park is really not that great. While, unhooking the electric, I see where I almost got stuck the night before (it had just quit raining before we arrived) and I still may have trouble At 8:30 we pull out with tow car attached. The coach and car made the turn last night, it will make the 180 degree turn going almost straight up this morning. Wrong! Well, I make the turn, but my outside drive wheel goes onto the grass and begins to spin. The grass with with wet clay underneath is slighly higher than the paved road that the inside tire is on. Tree limb in my face and tow car at a 45 degree angle to the coach. I get out and tell Sue to get in the truck to keep the front tires turned correctly and I will back up. As I leave to get back into the coach, I see everyone in the park has got in their cars and are line up to leave. One thing I am sure of, they will not leave until I do, because I have the only way out blocked. I attempt to back up, but the tires go 90 degrees, so I stop. I get out and attempt to staighten the tires. I see the problem, Sue did not crank the truck. I crank the truck and straighten the tires. I try again, but the same result. Not but one thing to do, unhook the truck. With the cars lined up waiting to get out, I attempt to unhook quickly. However, the pins are in a bind and they will not move (remember the truck is 45 degrees to the motor home and on a steep incline.) I go to the tool box for my hammer. I open the door and all my sand paper, TV cable, car wash, etc falls out. The coach is leaning quite noticable to that side. Armed with the hammer, I hammer out the first pin. I hammer the other pin until the end is even with bracket and it will not move. I attempt to use the other pin to loosen it. It is difficult to drive a pin with a 45 degree bend. Finally I get it out, but now the bracket arm will not release. I hit it with the hammer. It does not move. I ask Sue to put truck in drive. Nothing. She accidentally rolls backwards and the arm releases. I tell her to go, So, she back the truck up to where I must put the motor home. Sue is smart, as soon as she sees the motor home about to hit her, she will move. Well, she does, but not immediately. I bet the people waiting to get out had some evil thoughts about this. Finally, I back out enough so the cars can get out, which they do immediately. Not one of those people offered to help.

With a running start, I get the coach up the road hitting tree limbs as I go. We connect truck at the top and in a place that we are sure we can make it to the road. Sue checks the lights etc., but can not get the dome light to go out. After reading the manual, attempting a few things, we lock the truck and the dome light goes out. Sue is beginning to feel that this park from **** will not let us leave. I am of the opinion that I had better be extra careful, because the MOJO is not on my side.

About 2 hours into the trip, I become sleepy and my posterior begins to burn. I put on a bathing suit that morning, because the shorts I had on yesterday were very tight. I had been driving with the shorts unzipped and the belt loosely latched. I forgot about this at Flying J and I found out that with a big stomach, if you reach up, the shorts will drop to your ankles. The bathing suit, while large enough, causes you to sweat and that was the source of my discomfort. We stop at a rest stop. I wash my face and my posterior (in that order by the way). I decide that if we apply some alcohol, that may further alleviate the discomfort. Sue brought new meaning to the Brylcreme commercial saying that a "Little DAB will do you". I have got to teach Sue the technique of dab and wait. I have a theory that if you activate enough pain receptors at the same time that you will pass out. Sue almost proved my theory!

Sue made reservations at Artillery Camp Ground in Gettysburg, PA. Everything is going ok until we realize we have to go through the heart of Gettysburg with two turns. Cars parked wall to wall with tour buses hogging the road. I thought Deland was bad, but this is a night mare. I basically lined up the coach and prayed it was wide enough. Fortunately it was. Another jackass, going in the opposite direction (in a Blue Bird BMC) saw me and began to grin ear to ear and waved fanically. Sue said he brought new meaning to a happy camper. I told her the guy was a nut and was relieved to see that he wasn't the only idiot here.

The camp ground was another story, but let it suffice to say we moved because a bird had a nest in the middle of our site. The bird made it clear that she was ready to do battle, so I found another site. The other site was great except that my jacks dissappeared from sight and I maybe struck. However, I will find out tommorrow, because we extended out stay another night.

We were able to See Dick Hopper and had a wonderful dinner with them.

I have lost my glasses and my eyes are burning and I am having difficulty seeing the sceen, so I say good day.

We leave for Hershey tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2009
Forum owner

Dan,are your ears burning?hahaa!!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-14-2009

Great story Richard!!!
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 06-14-2009

Richard, great story!!! I've made that run up I-81 many times and understand your plight. If I'm not mistaken, they have horses at the Artillery Ridge Campground that you can rent to take a tour of the battlefield across the street. If at all possible, a really good way to gain a real perspective of the battles fought there.

By the way, I understand the jack problems there - I had one that didn't want to come back up serveral years ago when leaving Artillery Ridge.

Good luck on the rest of your trip and keep us all posted - it's got to get easier!

Doug Ralston
'03 M-380
Roswell, GA
Old 06-14-2009

Reminds me of a story.
A guy goes into a drug store. The clerk asks if he can help. The guy says "I need some talcum powder". The clerk says "walk this way". The guy says "if I could walk that way I wouldn't need any talcum powder".
Old 06-15-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarrolljr View Post
Reminds me of a story.
A guy goes into a drug store. The clerk asks if he can help. The guy says "I need some talcum powder". The clerk says "walk this way". The guy says "if I could walk that way I wouldn't need any talcum powder".
John,

Please add a permanent signature to your profile, to find out how to add a permanent signature to your profile please read;

How To Post A New Topic Message Or A Reply To A Topic and Add Your Signature

It reads in part;
Quote:
Why do we want you to have a signature; Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > User Related Issues What is the signature for?

We have also noticed that there are a lot of members that are not adding their signature to their posted messages. This was one of the things that you were asked to do in the forums GUIDELINES when you became a member of this forum;

" Lastly, we would ask that you sign your posts with your name, coach type and year, this can be easily done by using the signature box in your profile."

So we are asking you again to please just add a signature in your profile with the requested information;

Your Name

Year & Model of 'Bird or WANNABE

Your Location

You can set your signature by choosing User CP at the upper left side of the forums page and then choose Edits Signature from the Settings & Options, then create your signature and if you want to you can add a signature photo, then scroll to the bottom and click on Preview Signature and if you are satisfied with the results, then scroll back down to the bottom and click on Save Signature.
Thanks,

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-15-2009

Rick- where are you staying in Hershey? Kelly and I would love to come over tonight and meet you two. We are in town all week.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912